• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • adventures47129

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    Clarksville
    I would suggest that you take your time and check out the gun shops. But more inportently, go to some gun ranges on weekends and talk to the owners there. Most will let you try the pistols they have there for you to really get an idea of what you may want to carry and shoot. You will get a lot of good ideas... Good luck!

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    ... I was hoping to get a few suggestions on to what to look for when buying and what not.

You're limited to what you can evaluate when shopping. Fit/ergonomics, size, price, reputable mfg., 3rd party accessory/parts support, etc. are the typical shopping criteria.

Other important things like reliability and accuracy you'll have to confirm through practice, but if you stick w/a reputable mfg you maximize your probability of getting something suitably reliable and accurate.

Call me strange, but my advice it to decide on a cartridge first. That's the real weapon (well, actually the weapon is the bullet, but it's inseperably linked to its cartridge), the firearm is simply a launch platform whose job it is to deliver the projectile to the target (which is why reliability, accuracy, and ergonomics are important).

N

ndrews_18--

Well there are allot of good brands of 40 and 45, I like 45 because of the amount of damage it's going to inflict. I would look for a gun that fits your hand comfortably and has a good reputation of being reliable brand as well as warranty. I would look at Brands like Ruger,H&K,SIG,S&W,Beretta, And Springfield Xd line. As soon as I get my Lifetime LIC Im buying a Ruger P345 and a H&K USP 45, and Carry them both ruger as backup and H&K as main, just cause I want to. But Both are between about 429-1000 depends on area and dealer.

Best to get an Idea of what you want in a handgun first, All the Brands I have listed have been around for a long time, epically Beretta, SIG and H&K I believe but not totally positive that There the oldest three in the world starting with beretta in 1526,sig in 1751, and H&K 1773.

barrelmaker_2002

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Rochester, MN
    There are some people who say buy buy a subcompact. I reject that advice. A carry gun can be too small. Larger guns are easier to shoot accurately than smaller guns. I used to carry a sub-compact and now I have the mid-size. If I were a bit bigger, I would probably go up another size.

There are some people who will carry a smaller gun when it's hot and a bigger one when it is cool. I think that is a terrible idea, especially if the guns have dis-similar controls. Your muscle memory does have multiple personalities.

Here are some posts I have written on these points:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/109144-okay_i_need_help_choosing-3.html#post1299003

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...ni_glock_or_xd_sub_compact-3.html#post1283503

Anyway, here are some points to consider.

- a good carry gun fits your hand
    - has simple, easy to use controls that you will be able to shoot under stress
    - comes in a caliber (generally 9 MM or bigger) with the best balance between recoil and cost. If you have strong hands and unlimited funds, buy a 10 MM, .45 or a .357. If you have smaller hands and a more modest budget 9 MM might be a better choice.
    - on the flip side, don't get hung up on caliber and capacity. Ballistics are irrelevant if you miss and most gun fights involve shooting between 0 and 5 rounds.
    - buy the largest gun that works (size wise) with the types of clothes you wear most of the time
    - buy a good holster and belt

I will also say that I like having a carrying a gun with the same trigger pull for each shot. There are many fine DA/SA guns on the market, but I would never carry one. The DA to SA transition can be terribly difficult under stress. Heck, I find it difficult on the range.

For me, absent significant experience with SAO platform like a 1911, a DAO or striker fired gun is the best way to go for a first carry gun and there are many fine choices in your price range, with enough left over from a belt, holster and some ammo.

Good luck!

LLDJR

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    Southside/Southport
    Shot my Kahr P380 today at Steel Targets, 25 feet,, no problem, stock sights are perfect and I could hit 5 out of 6 in a mag easily

I know it is only a .380, but I carry it all the time,,, my Glock 19 was too big for me, my Kahr PM40 was a little heavy and the P380 is perfect

I may bump up to a Kimber Ultra Carry II next or an EMP 9mm, but for now, the P380 is great:D

Top Bottom