• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    My ear muffs are a little bulky, and so I'm looking to try ear plugs. Would you be so kind as to offer your recommendations?

My criteria are as follows:

-- High NRR (my muffs are 26 dB, and I'd like better than that)
    -- Easy to remove and to put on quickly, so I can use them in a class.
    -- Easy to retain, so I won't lose them in the field.

Thanks!

TAT7

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 27, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I'm not sure on db, but I like to use the Surefire's when I'm not using muffs. I'm not a expert so there maybe something better out there, this is just my mileage.

They make them with strings attached now too.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    I'm interested in the Surefire plugs. If looks like you can just leave the plugs in your ears and just open the filter caps if you need to hear people talking between strings of shooting. How well can you hear when you take out the filter caps? Will you be able to hear the range commands or the instructor well enough?

TAT7

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 27, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I'm interested in the Surefire plugs. If looks like you can just leave the plugs in your ears and just open the filter caps if you need to hear people talking between strings of shooting. How well can you hear when you take out the filter caps? Will you be able to hear the range commands or the instructor well enough?

Yes, you can hear just fine with the holes opened up (I can anyway) but find it just as fast to pop one ear out and stick it back it. Since they are not "fomies" its just as easy and fast as picking your nose. lol

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    They have a discount and free shipping on some of the plugs. I am going to measure my ear and maybe order a pair. I have been using the foamies and they work okay, but I have a hard time getting a good seal, especially in my left year for some reason.

XDmShootr21

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2013
    Brazil, Indiana
    From my understanding you can leave the filter caps open while shooting. The website states that, even with the caps open, the plugs themselves filters out any noise over 85 db and the caps are there just in case you don't care to hear any ambient noise.

I'm interested in ordering a couple pair of these but i'm not quite sure if I would prefer the foam or the flanged variety. Can anyone give me any insight on this?

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I have worn mine twice now and they do work good. I haven't opened the little ports so you can hear people talk which I probably should. I imagine others don't appreciate me YELLING because I can't hear them in the clubhouse!:)

Overall I like them, though in the time I was waiting on them to arrive, I finally learned how to properly insert the foam plugs and I have to admit, when you do it right, they work well.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I just bought the ep7 from surefire. I haven't used the yet. They have the highest db rating, 28.
    But then you have to deal with the foam.

WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    Used my new ear plugs this weekend and I like them! They are a little hard to get in but if you follow the instructions it is easy. I shot my .40 and .223 with the inserts out and my hearing was protected very well. I was also able to have conversations at the range without removing the plugs or the other person yelling. I will buy another pair for sure!

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Review of the Surefire EP7 Sonic Defenders Ultra

I got the Surefire EP7 Sonic Defenders Ultra, rated for 28 dB. Of all the Surefire earplugs, the EP7 has the highest NRR, probably because it uses a foam insert. The others have "flange stems," with a somewhat lesser NRR rating.

EP7 Hearing Protectors Sonic Defenders<sup>®</sup> <i>Ultra</i> from SureFire

What comes in the package: the EP7, an extra set of foam inserts, and an instructional manual. The packaging is just plastic, and it cannot be reused as a carrier for the EP7 in your range bag. I just put the EP7 in my shooting glasses case, so when I put on eyes, I'll also put on ears.

PROS:

-- The EP7 protects your hearing very well! The 28 dB NRR seems accurate, especially compared to my ear muffs rated for 26 dB. There seems to be an improvement in hearing protection.

-- Small and unobtrusive, allowing a good cheek weld. You can also wear whatever hat you want (with ear muffs, you can't necessarily do that).

-- The EP7 secures itself really well to your ears. You forget it's there when you're shooting.

-- You can hear conversation if you open the filter caps. According to the manufacturers, the filter caps cut out the lower frequencies (i.e., the bang), allowing the higher frequencies (i.e., human voices) to pass through at a reduced volume. I discover that I can hear conversations fine without opening the filter caps. But supposedly you can leave the caps open even while shooting, though the NRR will be somewhat lower.

-- The foam inserts seem to be of better quality stuff than most toss away foams.

CONS:

-- The foam has a limited lifespan (2-4 weeks) according to the instructional manual. In fact, the EP7 is supposed to have a limited lifespan (3-6 months), too. This is my biggest complaint. If you shoot infrequently, at $13-18, the EP7 might be a bit too expensive for just six months. The replacement foam inserts are $17.95 (MSRP) for three pairs.

-- Installing the EP7 into your ears takes some getting used to. But it's very comfortable once it's in. It doesn't exert as much pressure on your ear canal as the average use-once earplugs, yet the seal is tight enough to block out the sound.

-- The filter caps were a bit stiff to open and close in the beginning. But it turned out I didn't need to do that after all to hear people talk.

Surefire's website provides information to size yourself for the EP7, which comes in three sizes. You can use a vernier caliper to measure the size of your ear's concha bowl to get an idea. According to the manufacturer, most people are a medium.

CONCLUSION? The EP7 works really well, but it's definitely a premium product.

IMPORTANT NOTE: DO NOT CLEAN THE FOAM WITH ALCOHOL! That will make the foam disintegrate, and that will also weaken the glue that attaches the foam to the main piece. You could risk leaving the foam in your ears if you use alcohol on the foam. The instructional manual mentions this towards the end of the maintenance section, but Surefire really needs to print this in big, red letters!

With that said, let me praise Surefire's wonderful customer service. I used alcohol swabs to clean the foam inserts, and they crumbled away after a few uses. Technically Surefire could have said, "You didn't read our manual, so we're not responsible." Instead, they went above and beyond their call of duty to ensure that I have a safe pair of EP7 to use. I'd definitely buy from them again!

KJW

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Lamb's Crossing
    I use earplugs from Beneficial Products, www.earplugsonline.com They don't report an NRR that I can find, but I can tell you from years of using them that they are superior to any muff-type hearing protection. They are amazingly comfortable. And they are way more economical than the expensive Surefire EP7 described above. Give them a try, I bet you'll love them.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    After wearing my Surefires several times now, I am losing my confidence in them. As I shoot Trap, they work back out of my ear, especially on my left ear. My left ear is problematic for some reason and it takes some real effort to get it in to start so I can't just shove it back in while on the line. I may go back to the foam ones I was using. If I make sure to roll the foam ones up real tight and push it far into my ear, they seal well and stay put.

Top Bottom