• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 465guy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2008
    Sounds like you really didn't like the Glock.

Just curious.. What didn't you like about them.

Thanks for all the replies guys. I should have stated in my original thread that i won't buy a glock. I've shot a handful of them and hated them all. I've been meaning to get over to pops and try a bunch out, i just haven't had the time.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    H&K's were always too $$$ for my budget. But I hear great things about them. (and they look cool as hell, lol)

Out of the 3 you posted, the H&K would get my vote.

Plus, the USP is "Vincent Approved".
    COLLATERAL1.jpg

465guy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2008
    Cheap and not accurate? Ok if you don't like the feel I can understand that. But not accurate :): So you were making shots with the HK that you couldn't make with the Glock?

The guns felt cheap, the action was not smooth and worst of all, they were not accurate, especially compared to the H&K.

am94pm

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    zinx,

A lot of guys have giving good advice. As a person who has sold guns in the past the best advice (like some of the others have said) is to put as many guns in your hand as possible. Odds are if it is comfortable in your hands it will be comfortable to shot. If this is a carry gun you definitely want some thing you are comfortable with. For instance do you where a pair of shoes everyday if they are uncomfortable, same principle for a gun. If you can shot a gun that you are interested in even better. Don't feel bad about no liking Glocks, I have had several customers over the years who have traded or got rid of the Glocks they bought because they couldn't shot well with them or the gun was uncomfortable. This doesn't make the Glock a bad gun. Just not for everybody. Also what do you want, high capacity, small compact, rail mount, etc. will help narrow down some of the many choices out there.

Thickburger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Indianapolis
    i would not suggest any 1911-type pistol as a carry. i've seen too many of them malfunction or become finicky when they should not have. they are good guns with a good design but a carry pistol should be 100% reliable.

personally i would suggest a G19 but if you are just uncomfortable with glocks then nothing i can say will sway your opinion. but it just sounds like you didn't get used to the gun you were shooting.

i have a buddy of mine that used to badmouth glocks constantly for the same reasons you have. he shot mine once at the range and still was not impressed. but the more he read about them the more his opinion changed. he now owns 4 of them.

indyninja

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    I see regular factory 1911s run well. when they get tricked out is when they fail imho

i would not suggest any 1911-type pistol as a carry. i've seen too many of them malfunction or become finicky when they should not have. they are good guns with a good design but a carry pistol should be 100% reliable.

Thickburger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I see regular factory 1911s run well. when they get tricked out is when they fail imho

i think 3 of them failed at our fighting pistol class last year. one catastrophically failed and fused the slide to the frame. they were all stock 1911s.

plus you have to have the nice, expensive mags so they don't misfeed. and they need to be replaced somewhat often.

i own a Kimber too and i would never carry it.

Paul

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Brownsburg
    i think 3 of them failed at our fighting pistol class last year. one catastrophically failed and fused the slide to the frame. they were all stock 1911s.

plus you have to have the nice, expensive mags so they don't misfeed. and they need to be replaced somewhat often.

i own a Kimber too and i would never carry it.

That disappoints me. That was going to be my next buy. Oh well, i really want an XD

Thickburger

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Indianapolis
    That disappoints me. That was going to be my next buy. Oh well, i really want an XD

well i'm not trying to discourage anyone from a 1911. just saying that i don't feel it's a reliable carry weapon. again, i own one and like shooting it. i would never have my life depend on it though.

HoosierShooter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2008
    Shelby
    I have always been a cheap bastard. I have three handguns in 9mm and haven't paid over $250.00 for any of them. I carry a Star Firestar Plus, a little on the heavy side, but I have never had any problems with it. I have a Taurus PT-111 first gen. that currently has a mag release issue and needs to go to the factory for service. My most recent is a Taurus 24/7 and I really like it, no problems so far with 1200-1500 rounds through it. I would eventually like to have a Glock in 9mm also, but I think I'll get the AR first.

Img_0039.jpg

65pony

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2008
    Heckler & Koch

If it is durability, accuracy, feel, balance, and value, I would suggest spending the money on an HK. The full size or compact are very good weapons, and since you are looking to carry, go with a used one. They are fairly well priced on Gunbroker.com

I have had several USP's and I loved every one. The .45, .40, and the 9mm are very comfortable to shoot, and are the absolute best built weapons, in my opinion, and are well worth the money.

If you want a 1911 type, HK has the HK45, which is going to be next on my list. That is one to have if you like 45's.

"In a world of compromise, Some Don't":draw:

zinx

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 17, 2008
    Castleton
    I think i'm straying from a carry weapon and looking more for one that is accurate and fun to shoot at the range but with some personal home protection qualities.

Top Bottom