• 22lr Recommendations

• Total voters

defender14

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2011
    Fishers
    I haven't shot a rifle much since my days in boy scouts. I have used my college roommates Bushmaster AR a few times at the range in the past 2 months but that is it.

I am looking for a rifle that shoots 22lr so I can practice on the cheap, also so I can start learning about rifles in general.

The main purpose of this gun would be for plinking at the range but I guess it might also serve as a SHTF rifle if needed.

I eventually plan on getting or building an AR in 5.56, but want to start with a rifle that shoots 22lr and getting familiar with rifles in general before going that route.

My first thought was a Ruger 10/22 and possibly putting a pistol grip and aftermarket stock on it. There are loads of aftermarket options and people swear by them, but it is not an AR obviously.

The next thought was just to get a Smith and Wesson M&P 15-22, it claims to be very similar to an AR in function, they mistly get good reviews, and it could help me get familiar with the AR platform.

After thinking about the M&P 15-22 I started thinking about possibly building my own AR that shoots 22lr, something inexpensive and supposedly easy like getting a Plum Crazy complete lower and a CMMG 22lr upper. This would be a good learning experience, and if I want I can just get an upper for 5.56 down the line.

I guess the last option would be to buy a budget AR like the complete rifle that Palmetto State Armory is selling for $600 and buying the CMMG 22lr conversion kit.

Price is a factor, but I am not too worried about it now, I am just researching for a purchase I hope to make in early 2012.

Is there something else I should consider?

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Ruger 10/22 is a great rifle for the money. Will offer a reliable rifle with the ability to shoot a ton of ammo for cheap. Good to go right out of the box, but also has endless options to customize to personal taste.

MtnBiker6510

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 19, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Learn to handle and shoot the 10/22 properly. When you are ready to spend alot more money on ammo and the rifle, get the AR and you'll have 2 rifles. Firearms as with women, 2 is better than 1.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    If the idea is to learn good marksmanship skills inexpensively that you can apply to any rifle in the future, I would recommend you buy the Marlin 795 for $100, an extra magazine for $15, an army surplus G.I. sling for $12, a box of Federal bulk pack .22LR for $17 and a registration to a 2 day Appleseed shoot for $70. If you have a little extra, buy a rimfire scope or aperture sights for $70 and have a ball. After you shoot a rifleman score, you can sell the Marlin for what you've got in it and buy something more exotic if you want, but you'll have learned that the most critical component of the rifle weapon system is the person behind the trigger.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    The main purpose of this gun would be for plinking at the range but I guess it might also serve as a SHTF rifle if needed.

If SHTF that means humping gear and under a ruck every pound counts.

I'd want something light and handy. There is nothing better:

Pack-Rifle: Home of the Pack-Rifle .22 Long Rifle

Of all the guns you list (I own them all), I like the S&W MP15-22 as a rimfire understudy for the AR. All the guns you list are just fine, I don't know about mall ninja-ing them up but, hey, your guns. You need good sights and trigger, and if SHTF, a sling.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Price is a factor

If that's the case, go Marlin 795.

IMHO, this weapon gives the most bang for the buck (do not own one, just have shot them). For under a $100 you get a .22 rifle that runs like a sewing machine. Great choice.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vhLjh8Ig8g[/ame]

This kids talks about his:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1wxg4AO_3w&feature=related[/ame]

Last edited:

defender14

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2011
    Fishers
    it seems like 10/22 is winning

Thanks for the appleseed suggestion, I think my home range is hosting an appleseed event in december, I might check it out

GM_Geezer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2009
    10/22 It is the small block chevy of 22's. Can be left stock for fun on the cheap or built into what ever your looking for. Check out the mods done on rimfirecentral site.

MAJB Retired

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0

10/22 is a great rifle for a great price and there is a _hitload of stuffavailable to customize it. I have one, but my favorite is my Henry22 L001R. Accurate right out of the box, shotseverything, with subsonic, you can shoot in your back yard (not as loud as thepellet rifles I have) and very safe (one shot at a time).

charley59

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    In Carroll County
    I would have to agree. Marlin 795. I own one and it is the most accurate of the 3 22LR guns i own. Light weight, heavy barrel, and the balance point is about 5" in front of the trigger guard.

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    The Ruger 10/22 is like a Harley-Davidson. There are a lot of add on features you can buy for it. Reasonably priced and built well. I actually gave my daughter one for Christmas last year.

Arickosmo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Indy
    The Ruger 10/22 is like a Harley-Davidson. There are a lot of add on features you can buy for it. Reasonably priced and built well. I actually gave my daughter one for Christmas last year.

oh boy...slow pitch. It's slightly different than a Harley. You don't have to buy clothes to match your gun, nor parts to keep it running. It's really hard to find chrome for a 10/22 (maybe) and it's much more quiet. People actually put silencers on a 10/22 to make it quieter instead of louder. I've never seen someone remove the barrel of a 10/22 to make it louder and less useful. Also, you can afford to give one to someone else for Christmas...alot. I've never heard someone refer to a Harley as "reasonably priced" before.

(Sorry, had to. I'm not hating, just having fun):patriot:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    10/22 here. I have two of them for Appleseed loaners and also for my own enjoyment. I'll echo rockhopper's thoughts, too. Go to an Appleseed shoot so that the most important thing on the rifle is in order... that being the "nut behind the stock" ;)

(Full disclosure: I shot my first several times at Appleseed with a bolt-action Savage... including my first Rifleman score... but that rifle doesn't go to shoots with me too often anymore. Students don't want to borrow it and I don't get to shoot nearly as often as I'd like when I'm busy instructing.)

Most important, no matter which rifle you buy: ENJOY!

Blessings,
    Bill

MikeyB

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2011
    I vote Marlin 795. I was dead set on a 10/22 myself, but after reading some reviews the Marlin was said to be more accurate right out of the box. Only downside is the Marlin has very little aftermarket support compared to the Ruger. Just shot my 795 today and it's a tack driver for sure. Trying to sight in my scope I was getting 1/4" groups at 50 yards before I ran out of time. I'm sure the groups would be even tighter with a more expericed shooter. Very happy with my choice so far.

Top Bottom