• 22lr Recommendations

• Total voters

tmccorkel

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    Chesterton
    If you want something reliable, accurate, and cheap, go Marlin. I still have my first gun- Model 60 and will probably never get rid of it.

If you're looking for a great platform to upgrade, you can't beat a 10/22- there is a ton of a/m support.

philagothon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    On the 7th step
    I would start by figuring out what your budget will be and work from there. I would definitely figure in the money for an Appleseed. For that matter, there is one just half an hour from you next weekend in Atlanta. If you can shake yourself free it will be a great time. The instructors will have loaner rifles that you can borrow.
    Info link: 2011 Atlanta, IN Appleseed Information
    Registration link: Atlanta, IN Appleseed - Nov 12-13, 2011 - RWVA- Eventbrite

As far as rifles go... I would say it depends on your budget and parameters. If $300-400 will not be a problem, go with the 10/22. If you're looking more in the $150-200 range look at the Marlin 795. Both are great rifles. Both offer acceptable accuracy. The 10/22 can be modified as far as your wallet is willing to go. The 795 is very cost effective, highly accurate, and comes with sling swivels already installed. If money is tight go with the Marlin and save your cash towards ammo and your future AR.

SmallTownGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2009
    Roanoke
    Marlin Model 60 for the win. It's highly affordable and it's always best to keep it simple. Not to mention a standard barrel on a Model 60 is nearly a bull barrel if you think about it. Very sturdy reliable rifles.

Last edited:

defender14

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2011
    Fishers
    Thanks for all of the input

I think I wasn't really sure what I was asking originally, I just knew I wanted a 22lr to get started on learning proper techniques with rifles.

After all of the Appleseed suggestions I decided to look into it. I think this is exactly what I need, if I can find the time and funds I think I will try to make it out to the shoot in December at my home range (HCFG)

As far as the specific rifle goes, I have changed my mind many times in the past few days. I was originally wanting to go with an AR type rifle but after seeing all the votes Ruger got I thought the 10/22 would be best. After looking into all the aftermarket things I would want to do to a 10/22 I realized it was almost as much money as an M&P 15-22 so I started thinking about that again. Currently after reading through the comments and reading some reviews I think the Marlin 795 might be best. It is inexpensive, (on sale this week at Dicks for $99 after mail in rebate) and has less aftermarket options, which I would generally say is a drawback, but I think for my first rifle it may be a good thing. The only thing that I might add to a 795 is a set of tech sights but I plan on seeing how well I can do with the factory sights before deciding on that. Also with the price so low I think I can convince the wife to let me purchase the rifle this week rather than waiting until the new year, which is what I would have to do for a more expensive firearm.

Thanks again for the input ingo

CoyoteCreekGuns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    New Palestine, IN
    I've been blessed with the opportunity to own quite a few different rifles (rim fire and center fire) in addition to living on property where I could allow others to gather and shoot on a private range. Time and time again, no matter what I had available for folks to shoot including such rifles as AK's and AR's ALL folks come back to the Ruger 10/22 (rifle) and Ruger Mark III 22/45 (pistol) as their favorites. You just cannot beat the 10/22.

strahd71

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    wanatah
    i had a 10/22 and it wouldnt feed anything, tried new magazines etc.

i've been thinking either the M&P 22 or maybe the mossberg tactical 22

good luck what ever you choose!

jake

Top Bottom