• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I'm getting ready to do this - I'd like to get it done before we get too much more rain/snow/ice.

I was thinking this may do the trick but wasn't sure if it was the right stuff or how much of it I would need -> Dap 14090 Quick Plug Hydraulic Cement 10-Pound Pail - Amazon.com

Also - any advice on cutting off this anchor bolt as close to the existing foundation as possible?

Any advice on this repair at all is greatly appreciated as I've never done anything like this before :).

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I'm getting ready to do this - I'd like to get it done before we get too much more rain/snow/ice.

I was thinking this may do the trick but wasn't sure if it was the right stuff or how much of it I would need -> Dap 14090 Quick Plug Hydraulic Cement 10-Pound Pail - Amazon.com

Also - any advice on cutting off this anchor bolt as close to the existing foundation as possible?

Any advice on this repair at all is greatly appreciated as I've never done anything like this before :).

I'd give it a try. For cutting off the bolt, my first thought is an angle grinder with an abrasive cutoff wheel. Cut it off as close to flush or below your intended finished surface as you can. You might have to get an abrasive flap disk or grinding wheel to get it below the surface. Knock all the loose concrete out and slather the cement into place.

Just make sure you have good eye protection!

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Eye protection as well as a decently rated respirator for sure - I don't need to breathe in or 'see' any small particles :). I have a Dremel that I could likely do the job with but I imagine that would take a while - I don't mind buying a new tool for the job though... I'm sure I could find other uses for an angle grinder.

The only issue for me is getting in to the anchor bolt - most angle grinders I've seen have fairly large discs - which is why the Dremel comes to mind [for it's tiny cut-off wheel].

I was thinking about taking my heat gun to it after grinding it off but before cementing it to try and make sure I have as much moisture out of it as possible. Last thing I want to do is trap in some water for the freeze/thaw cycle.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Eye protection as well as a decently rated respirator for sure - I don't need to breathe in or 'see' any small particles :). I have a Dremel that I could likely do the job with but I imagine that would take a while - I don't mind buying a new tool for the job though... I'm sure I could find other uses for an angle grinder.

The only issue for me is getting in to the anchor bolt - most angle grinders I've seen have fairly large discs - which is why the Dremel comes to mind [for it's tiny cut-off wheel].

I was thinking about taking my heat gun to it after grinding it off but before cementing it to try and make sure I have as much moisture out of it as possible. Last thing I want to do is trap in some water for the freeze/thaw cycle.

I've never had a reason to use that hydraulic cement, but I thought it cured in the presence of water. At any rate, any time I've done tiling and such which used cement type products, they typically wanted you to apply it to a damp surface to keep the surrounding material from sucking all the moisture out of the cement before it could cure. I guess I'm saying follow the directions on the package.:)

If you have a Dremel, you probably know they sell small cut off wheels for them--if you have some, it would be worth a try. An angle grinder with a flap abrasive disk will make short work of sharping your lawnmower blade(s) next summer :)

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    My lawnmower blades *do* need sharpened...................

Yeah - I'll follow the directions but until I pick some of the stuff up I figure it can't hurt to ask the 'been there, done that' crowd here on INGO.

INGO is one of the better resources for about everything local that I've found [even non-gun stuff!].

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    There's also a product that's actually called "adhesion promoter" for mortar/concrete mixes. It'll be in the same aisle. You can mix it into the mix as well as brush it onto the surface where your patch is being applied. It's a milky white fluid.

Top Bottom