• ...and so much more!
  • MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Hey guys,

I don't pretend to be handy. When walking around the property I did notice the below image. I know that it needs fixed or it will get worse - the rebar will rust, concrete will crack and spall, etc. What I'm not sure about is how easy/expensive this fix is. The house does have a full unfinished basement with poured concrete walls that look to be in perfect shape - the house is 6 years old. I can find no evidence of water damage, cracks, leaks, or anything else inside the basement.

I know the home inspector will catch it - and we can tell the seller it has to be fixed or we walk - but I'd like to get some information on the issue before we get to that point if possible.

Here is the image of the issue:
    2013-09-27_17-56-11.png

Not sure what is up with this. I can't imagine it was sold brand-new like this but if that rebar was once straight [not sticking out of the side] then it would be behind the siding. Looks to me like this piece of rebar should have been cut off but wasn't.

Not sure if the concrete has spalled away due to this - or what that damage is.

I do obviously want to make sure this is fixed as the rebar will rust further letting water down into the foundation that can freeze/thaw [and/or] the rusting of the rebar further down in the foundation can cause the concrete to spall/crack and have issues with the basement walls / keeping water out / keeping the foundation solid.

I'm not super handy so I have no idea what repairing this sort of thing will cost but I don't plan on paying for it unless it's cheap/minor. There's no way the home inspector could miss this and I can't foresee them selling the house with this issue - so we'll have to see what happens.

I know there are much handier people on here than me - possibly even those that have dealt with something like this in the past or even those that fix things like this for a living - so any advice is appreciated :).

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Most likely an anchor bolt for the bottom sill plate for your stud wall. Have no idea how it would have gotten in the position that it is.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I have no idea either - also have no idea why it wouldn't have been fixed/remedied when it originally happened. The only thing I can imagine is that it was always like that and that it was just never fixed/addressed.

What it honestly looks like to me is like the concrete was poured but the framing wasn't up and the bolt/stud/whatever was sticking up. It looks like it got hit hard outwards which chipped off a large portion of concrete and bent the bolt out.

Either way - it does need addressed to prevent further damage to the concrete/foundation - but no idea what that sort of thing would cost. It's my understanding that without remediating the rust the issue will just spread/get worse over the years resulting in a much larger and much more expensive issue to resolve.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Does the cricket come with the deal???
    For the right price :).

The only reason I'm trying to find out how much this will cost to fix is to see if I'm going to have to fight with the seller about it. If it's a $500 fix it should be no problem, if it's a $20,000 fix then we'll have to walk.

[Yes, I know it won't be $20,000 - it's an arbitrarily large number].

All who have responded - have been repped [not that anybody really cares].

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I agree with Horny. Looks to be an anchor bolt for something either not used or taken away. Buzz it off flush with a die grinder and seal it up with some kind of magic epoxy. Seen similar repairs where refrigerant lines were cut of flush to the slab. The beat out a bit of concrete and use some epoxy on the cavity. Do a proper job and 10 years along it should still be fine. Do a :poop: job and it falls out the first winter.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I've got nothing. That is indeed an odd thing to see. It isn't possible that the builder didn't notice it - he would have had to cut a hole in his form to even pour around it I would think.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    If it were me, cutting torch & concrete repair mix & done. I'd be looking closer at why and how that blue stuff at grade level wound up there. That has not been there six years.
    I have no idea what the blue stuff is - never seen it before - no idea what it's for. It's foam so I assume it's some sort of insulation. Another thing I figured the home inspector will address - if anybody does know what the blue stuff is - I'm all ears. You can find it around the entire foundation all the way around except the front where there is some landscaping that I presume would cover it.

The foam does look worn down when I walked around the property that it's likely been weed-eated against repeatedly.

I guess it's a good thing home inspectors are held responsible for things they let pass that they shouldn't these days - they tend to actually do a good job now :). I'd rather have a $300 inspection that caught nothing than a $50 inspection that missed everything.

I agree with Horny. Looks to be an anchor bolt for something either not used or taken away. Buzz it off flush with a die grinder and seal it up with some kind of magic epoxy. Seen similar repairs where refrigerant lines were cut of flush to the slab. The beat out a bit of concrete and use some epoxy on the cavity. Do a proper job and 10 years along it should still be fine. Do a :poop: job and it falls out the first winter.
    I had already planned on simply grinding it off and capping it up if I had to but - that said - I'd sooner have the seller do it before we buy it. Even if they take the lowest bid on the job - it's still likely going to be a better job than I could do [again, not super handy].

My biggest concern is making sure that metal does not continue to rust once it's sealed inside and eventually cause additional damage [spalling, cracks, etc].

I would think you'd want to get rid of as much of the rust as possible/fill any holes/gaps - make sure it's dry - and then patch the concrete...

Still happy to hear any more suggestions / advice / input. Rep still being given until I run out.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I've got nothing. That is indeed an odd thing to see. It isn't possible that the builder didn't notice it - he would have had to cut a hole in his form to even pour around it I would think.
    Yeah - that further indicates that it didn't happen before it was poured or while it was setting but after it was poured and before the house was built. If the framing was up - that bolt would have been inside of the framing. If it happened after the house was built - it would be inside the wall.

How anybody could build a house and not 'notice' this - or how they could be 'ok' with it in a new home is beyond me. Maybe they relied on the builder's inspector and the builder's inspector wasn't the most scrupulous of inspectors...

Either way - I can't see any damage to the basement/foundation/wall except what is visible - I think it'll be a fairly easy fix but I just want to make sure it's fixed right so we don't have bigger problems down the road.

sig-man

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    North
    The blue stuff I believe you are referring to appears to be extruded polystyrene. In other words insulating foam. It is used many times on the inside of footers to insulate the interior ground and hence concrete slab from freezing and subsequent frost heaving. I agree with many responses here that the metal is an anchor bolt that was bent over. I am confused though in that I do not understand why it appears that the wall is not built on top of the outside edge of the foundation wall. I would like to see a wider angle picture.
    My guess concrete contractor was off a few inches on the foundation wall measurements. What I don't understand is why the framers would not have adjusted the framing and moved the wall to the outside face of the foundation wall as it should be. And further confused by the use of foam insulation on the outside of the foundation wall where the water proofing and or draining membrane should be'

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I'd say the bolt is 16-20". It'll have a small 90 degree bend at the bottom end. The blue foam looks to be insulation to help keep ground temp out of your basement/crawl. My only concern with that would be how well the basement/crawl is. Any sign of water in it?

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I have been around enough multi contractor construction sites to take a stab at this. Imagine it went like this: The guy that formed and poured the concrete didn't cut off the rebar the way he should. Maybe he figured he would cut them off another time. Maybe kids playing on the site kicked them out of place before the concrete set up. That guy got sent to another job site and the rods were forgotten.

The Framing subcontractor gets there and the rods are blocking him from doing his work. Since carps usually do not carry metal cutting saws he knocked them out of the way and fininshed his framing. The subcontractor guy that does siding only carrys snips, etc.

Take a SawsAll or a surface grinder with you and trim them off. Seal it up with vinyl Concrete patch if you want. It surely is not something I would loose a lot of sleep over, but if it looks like a sticking point, have the seller fix it.

dwh79

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    Wanamaker/ Acton
    Nothing to worry about. The anchor bolt got bent over some how. The sill plate has enough bolts or they may have drilled in a new anchor. It is not rebar or reinforcing steel just a connector for the wood to the concrete. As everyone has said cut it off buy a little epoxy and wipe flush. If that is all that is wrong with the house you are in good shape.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I'd say the bolt is 16-20". It'll have a small 90 degree bend at the bottom end. The blue foam looks to be insulation to help keep ground temp out of your basement/crawl. My only concern with that would be how well the basement/crawl is. Any sign of water in it?
    It's a full unfinished poured-concrete basement. No signs of water [at all] it looks to be in great shape.

The blue stuff I believe you are referring to appears to be extruded polystyrene. In other words insulating foam. It is used many times on the inside of footers to insulate the interior ground and hence concrete slab from freezing and subsequent frost heaving. I agree with many responses here that the metal is an anchor bolt that was bent over. I am confused though in that I do not understand why it appears that the wall is not built on top of the outside edge of the foundation wall. I would like to see a wider angle picture.
    I'll take some better pictures when I am there next. Home inspection is on October 7th and I will have a report on the 8th.

And further confused by the use of foam insulation on the outside of the foundation wall where the water proofing and or draining membrane should be'
    I have no idea to be honest. I assumed it was some sort of insulation but no idea what for/why/how/etc.

I'll be sure to ask the inspector but if anybody here knows - I'm happy to listen.

Is the whole house on a slab with radiant floor heat?
    It's a poured concrete basement. No slab, no radiant heat.

Nothing to worry about. The anchor bolt got bent over some how. The sill plate has enough bolts or they may have drilled in a new anchor. It is not rebar or reinforcing steel just a connector for the wood to the concrete. As everyone has said cut it off buy a little epoxy and wipe flush. If that is all that is wrong with the house you are in good shape.
    Not particularly worried now that I know what it is - it didn't stop us from making an offer :).

I do want to fix it up/repair it as neatly as possible. I don't mind if you still see missing concrete particularly - but would like to have it flush [if possible]. My father in law told me that cement won't stick to that concrete and about all I can do is cut it off and tar/seal/epoxy it up.

The only other concern I have is that the house has a radon system - going to have a radon test done to make sure it's functioning properly. Also - not 100% happy with the system installation [white PVC pipe] so if it's out of code I'll likely ask them to do something a little nicer. If it is in-code and working fine - I may still at some point look at having it redone.

I saw a lot of radon systems that use a downspout rather than PVC pipe [or something similar] that blends with the house and doesn't stand out so much.

Kimber

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2011
    South Bend
    I believe the blue stuff is what they glued the styrofoam insulation to the outer walls, keeps the basement warm in the winter ,cool in the summer. If it bothers you seeing the insulation raise the level of the dirt. Just my opinion from the picture, I could be wrong.

Top Bottom