• Status
    Not open for further replies.

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    Obviously, there is no need to carry a longgun in downtown Indianapolis. I mean, you can't hunt there, a longgun is not a practical self defense weapon, etc.

I've seen and read the thread about a walk (not a march, not a parade, not a protest) with longguns downtown. So far as I can tell, the only message that will be expressed (though with no signs, with no specific talking points outlined that I could see) is that we have a right to carry longguns in Indiana.

I believe that this is a counter productive effort. I believe that the people don't want longguns downtown. I believe that opening the eyes of the people to the fact that you can carry longguns downtown will result in a new effort to limit what guns can be carried. Then, when I need to take my longgun in for service, I'll have a new set of laws to concern myself with.

I'm all for open carry. Open carry your self defense weapon all day long whereever you want... this has a point. There is purpose. But why a longgun downtown. Why would the people NOT limit that right?

Note: This is not a rant. I am not a troll. I was just talking with some friends this weekend about the march (oh, excuse me, walk), and I couldn't come up with what the purpose of the whole thing is, but could definitely see all of the possible negatives. I hope this thread sparks a conversation on what the merits are of such a (non-protest) walk, rather than continued debate over muzzle direction and sling configuration.

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    I guess you have to ask yourself...Why do they carry longguns during parades? Why don't they just carry a handguns. I don't recall any protest ever regarding different groups carrying longguns in any parade I have ever attended since my childhood.:twocents:

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    I have to agree with you. While I know its their right to do so, I really don't see a lot of good coming out of it. And no I'm not scared to exercise my rights, but sometimes because you have the right to do something doesn't always mean its the best thing to do it in someones face. JMHO.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    I also agree. for me it doesn't really do anything but make the person carrying it feel like they did something when in actuality it's most likely not doing anything but hurting the gun comm.. I mean men can also walk around downtown topless... doesn't mean they should. discretion is a key word in life.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Let the Nay saying begin :rolleyes: Time for all of the bed wetters, trolls and anti gun rights members to do a shout out here at INGO

Don't want to be involved, simple, do not be involved BUT do not rain on someone else's parade or whatever term they have coined.

As our Dear President would say, me thinks that you are all we weed up :draw: Try a Laxative, maybe you'll feel better :dunno:

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    I guess you have to ask yourself...Why do they carry longguns during parades? Why don't they just carry a handguns. I don't recall any protest ever regarding different groups carrying longguns in any parade I have ever attended since my childhood.:twocents:

The only longguns I've seen in parades where carried by the military (or were dummy guns... not exactly sure what these are called, but just pieces of wood shaped like guns).

In either case... you are talking about a parade, not a non-protest, non-march, walk.:twocents:

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    Let the Nay saying begin :rolleyes: Time for all of the bed wetters, trolls and anti gun rights members to do a shout out here at INGO

Don't want to be involved, simple, do not be involved BUT do not rain on someone else's parade or whatever term they have coined.

As our Dear President would say, me thinks that you are all we weed up :draw: Try a Laxative, maybe you'll feel better :dunno:

This is exactly what I knew would come of my post. An anti-discussion, anti-debate, name calling rant.

-1 4sarge.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    This is exactly what I knew would come of my post. An anti-discussion, anti-debate, name calling rant.

-1 4sarge.

You expressed your opinion and I expressed mine and now you want to cry about it. Why post a question if you do not want differing opinions :rolleyes: and upon further reflection if you did know the above quote - you did it anyway so you did want controversy instead of bringing gun owners together

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    The only longguns I've seen in parades where carried by the military (or were dummy guns... not exactly sure what these are called, but just pieces of wood shaped like guns).

In either case... you are talking about a parade, not a non-protest, non-march, walk.:twocents:

So it's ok for military to carry, but not the citizen? If that would have been said to our founders, they'd laughed in your face.

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    So it's ok for military to carry, but not the citizen? If that would have been said to our founders, they'd laughed in your face.

Get a parade permit... then it would be fine with me. << thems jokes

Maybe even just STATE A POINT... WHAT IS THE POINT ANYWAY???

Other than scaring a bunch of people and opening their eyes to the fact that folks can carry longguns downtown for no other reason than because they want to, with no lawful purpose than "because we can."

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    You expressed your opinion and I expressed mine and now you want to cry about it. Why post a question if you do not want differing opinions :rolleyes: and upon further reflection if you did know the above quote - you did it anyway so you did want controversy instead of bringing gun owners together

I'm not crying about... you just aren't adding anything except for name calling.

WHAT IS THE POINT OF THE NON-MARCH MARCH?

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    Get a parade permit... then it would be fine with me. << thems jokes

Maybe even just STATE A POINT... WHAT IS THE POINT ANYWAY???

Other than scaring a bunch of people and opening their eyes to the fact that folks can carry longguns downtown for no other reason than because they want to, with no lawful purpose than "because we can."

Other than annoying a bunch of people and opening their eyes to the fact that folks can drive around freely...I see young punks cruise downtown on the weekends around the circle in their vehicles with their music cranked and such with no other reason than because they want to, with no lawful purpose than "because we can."

Ramen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    The point is to remind the government and citizens that the citizens of Indiana are armed and that we enjoy our rights.

I believe that Thomas Jefferson would say that is a more than worthy cause. :patriot:

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    So anyone who disagrees with or doesn't understand the point of the "walk" is automatically one of the above? That's a constructive attitude. :noway:

He expressed an opinion and I expressed mine, I did not organize the ? but I'm not criticizing it or those who support it. I was critical because at this point in time, all gun owners need to support our 2nd Amendment Rights before they disappear. Not speaking out for those rights can do us no good.

Paco Bedejo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    What's the point?

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo..._obama_protester_help_or_hurt_gun_rights.html

Read the OP in that thread.

The point of this, for me, is to show my support for what these gentlemen have already done & to help push it further. If we keep hiding, then eventually we'll lose our rights. We need to remind our representatives who's in charge & where the real power lies.

Can you think of another way to accomplish these goals which is PC enough to not make your soft skin crawl?

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    He expressed an opinion and I expressed mine

But HE did it without disparaging his fellow INGOers...

all gun owners need to support our 2nd Amendment Rights before they disappear.

Agreed, but we also need to pick our battles, and be very cognizant of the image we are presenting when we DO stand up for our 2A rights. In other words, we need to make a concerted effort to frame and control the debate, just as the anti-gunners do every time there is a mass shooting. Otherwise we're just giving the other side more ammo (pun intended) for their argument AGAINST our rights.

Not speaking out for those rights can do us no good.

How is walking around downtown with slung weapons - no signs, no talking points, no nothing - "speaking out"? :dunno: More importantly, what will happen when the news media - or more likely the police - show up?

Paco Bedejo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    How is walking around downtown with slung weapons - no signs, no talking points, no nothing - "speaking out"? :dunno:

If we're sending no message & it's a silent act, why do some of you have an issue with it? It will continue the guns/no-guns debate, which I know we'll win because the numbers are on our side...assuming everyone has the balls to stand up at some point.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    But HE did it without disparaging his fellow INGOers...

Agreed, but we also need to pick our battles, and be very cognizant of the image we are presenting when we DO stand up for our 2A rights. In other words, we need to make a concerted effort to frame and control the debate, just as the anti-gunners do every time there is a mass shooting. Otherwise we're just giving the other side more ammo (pun intended) for their argument AGAINST our rights.

How is walking around downtown with slung weapons - no signs, no talking points, no nothing - "speaking out"? :dunno:

My remarks were NOT meant to be disparaging or harmful to a delicate psyche. Different generation, I'm used to conversations with men that sometimes may not be PC in todays careful to choose our words pretend society

It is not up to me or to you which battles one picks but to hope and pray that we all are successful in all of our battles. Details have not been posted so I do not know specifics but it's not up to me or you to judge those involved. You may have your opinion but opinions vary. If their endeavor is legal and for a righteous cause then I'm for it.

Should we Not have Tea Parties or Health Care Rallies so as NOT to offend ACORN or SEIU. MoveOn.org or the Daily KOS may be offended :rolleyes:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...s/49910-why_i_am_leaving_ingo.html#post541297

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom