• Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    No groups, just a single shot.
    Taurus model 607 .357mag 7-shot w/ 4" ported barrel. 158gr SJHP about 60 yards, ONE DEAD YOTE!

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Salem
    Mine was with a Heritage Arms .22lr revolver from about 50 yards. Dropped a squirrel out of the fork of a Hickory tree. The old man was impressed. lol

mwilson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    franklin
    longest shot

true handgun(629 smith) 82 yards. one dead buck. handrifle(savage 7-08) 10" steel plate at 280 yards(rangefinder) not just one shot but several times.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    14 years old: Savage Striker .223 bolt action handgun: 300 yards sillouhette stance: Hitting "human size" target with 55gr Black Hills FMJBT.

Handgun: RIA GI .45, handloaded 230gr FMJ (5gr Titegroup, 1.230" COL). 100 yards, 5 rounds, about a 2' pattern (wasnt terribly good, GI sights too), but off hand and two Diet Cokes making me jittery.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    The old man and I used to consistently hit a metal groundhog target at 100 yards with a .41 magnum Smith and Wesson Model 57 and 2.5 power pistol scope. I can hit the same target at this distance with a Browning Buckmark and open sights maybe once or twice for every ten rounds.

Dad used to bag frogs with head shots using a Ruger Mark I.

Old Salt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2008
    Avon
    I once shot a gnat off of a fly's but at 100 yards. Unfortunately I was aiming at the barn door.

I earned a perfect score, when qualifying for the Navy Expert Pistol medal.

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    taurus model 608 357 mag with 6 1/2" ported barrel, 5-6" groups at 50 yards. Otherwise my H&R model 649 22 win mag revolver, 5.5" barrel. Raccoon on top of old farrowing house in the dark, iron sights, head shot at around 40 yards. Could only see his eyes illuminated by a flashlight. Could hear him drop through the damaged roof crying out and hitting stuff on the way down, lol. I wanna get more practice with the 357 and see what I can do at 100 yards at least.

Integraholic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    At home
    Still! Damn Integrahoic! Thats a hell of a shot! Especially with the AMAZING flat trajectory that the .45 auto cartridge has! :D In seriousness, how high above the bucket did you have to aim?
    I sighted it up, and then raised the gun so I was looking at the firing pin. Haha. I left my left eye open so I could still have the bucket visible. I kinda tried to overlay what my left eye was seeing with what my right eye was seeing.

IN_Varmntr

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    DeKalb County
    I once watched a groundhog hunting video where a guy nailed a groundhog at a hair over 300 yards with a scoped .357 Mag. It was awesome.

I haven't personally shot past 25 yards.

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    While shooting with some of the guys from Seymour PD on a break from class we backed out to about 125 yards and several of us made first shot hits on a human-sized steel target. My gun was a stock Glock 19 with Big Dot sights. Two of the Seymour's finest that made the hits were using Sigs with DAK triggers and Big Dots. I consider their shooting much more impressive than mine with having to work that DAK trigger all the way back.

Peter Pi from Corbon and I did the same thing and I made it to about 140 yards before I dropped a shot.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Bowling pin, Glock 17, 88 yards, 1 shot. Done on break during a handgun course @ Knob Creek in 1999.

Not the longest shot I've ever made with a handgun, but certainly the best! The instructor made the shot first with his Glock 23, and encouraged the students to try it as well; I was the only one to take up the challenge.

My "home" range used to have a rifle gong (basically a manhole cover suspended on chains from a metal frame) at 100 yards. I would make it a point to shoot it with my handguns on a regular basis, especially when I had friends there shooting with me, to redefine for myself what "beyond handgun distance" really meant. I made those shots with several different handguns, but the G34 and 35 made it almost easy.

Last edited:

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    We had a military silhouette target in the hay field across the road on our farm in TN. It had an orange hunting cap attached to the head with two clothes pins. People driving by would occasionally wave at it lol. Anyway, from mom and dads garage to that target was a good solid 150 yards, I could tag it more often than not with my old Italian Beretta 92S, I cant speak of any group size as the only way you could tell you scored a hit was by the sound, it was very quiet way out there. A hit went tick thud while a miss just went thud. The first time I tried it I wasn't really expecting to hit it, and after a little practice I could hit it every shot. I thought it was way cool to be able to consistently hit a man sized target at that range with my pistol, and made a point to demonstrate that ability every time I got the chance...:D

CopperWires

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    S&W 586 6" barrel. Shooting Winchester .38 cowboy action 150 yds. Went 6 for 12 on a 10" steel plate using stock open sights. I was impressed. Then tried a handgun target 3" plate at 60 yds with my M&P 9c. WWB ball ammo. The target was 16 inches off the ground. When I aimed at the center of the target, the bullet hit the ground about 5 feet in front of the target stand. I eventually hit it.

Top Bottom