• Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    New show on Showtime for us gun folks

There is a new series starting this month on Showtime for those of us who get that channel. Looks like it is going to be interesting. Starts Oct. 21st

http://www.sho.com/site/locknload/home.do

Look who's packing. What you see may surprise you. Introducing LOCK 'N LOAD, the provocative new SHOWTIME reality series that goes inside Josh T. Ryan's Colorado gun shop to scope out who's buying and why. From teenage girls bonding with dad to avid weapon collectors, from seasoned police officers to hunting enthusiasts, every customer has a story. :ar15:

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    There is a new series starting this month on Showtime for those of us who get that channel. Looks like it is going to be interesting. Starts Oct. 21st

http://www.sho.com/site/locknload/home.do

Look who's packing. What you see may surprise you. Introducing LOCK 'N LOAD, the provocative new SHOWTIME reality series that goes inside Josh T. Ryan's Colorado gun shop to scope out who's buying and why. From teenage girls bonding with dad to avid weapon collectors, from seasoned police officers to hunting enthusiasts, every customer has a story. :ar15:

Dang, I got HBO.

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    AWESOME! I will start watching this ASAP.

Guy: I'm looking for an assault rifle
    Josh: What do you do?
    Guy: I work at the post office.

Mike_M

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Beautiful Milan
    Before we get too excited, let's see what the plot lines look like. Remember that this is coming from the "entertainment universe", one of the most liberal entities in the country. Plus, they need to have some drama in the show and I bet it comes in the form of trashing "gun nuts" and showing how crazy we are, whether it's based in reality or not.

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    Time will tell if it is a fair view

Before we get too excited, let's see what the plot lines look like. Remember that this is coming from the "entertainment universe", one of the most liberal entities in the country. Plus, they need to have some drama in the show and I bet it comes in the form of trashing "gun nuts" and showing how crazy we are, whether it's based in reality or not.

Unfortunately “normal behavior” is not interesting news or entertainment. We also need to admit to ourselves that we do have our share of weirdo’s and nut cases yet don’t police our ranks. The gun family often condones their behavior by silence or worse yet encourages them to continue their actions. These people are probably less than one percent of gun owners yet get a majority of attention. I think this is common in all walks of life because people tend to avoid confrontation; it is much easier to just go with the flow. This show is entertaining, not educational. It starts on the 21st so we will know soon enough.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Sin-city Tokyo
    Exactly. There was a thread on this back when the concept was first being developed. IMO, this is NOT the kind of exposure we need, and it's not going to end well.

This.

Even though the main guy behind the counter/producer seems like a decent enough guy, the 4 brief clips, even the very title are enough to shows to the biased slant/perspective that this show is premised on. They couldn't name the show something like, "Protect and Defend" or "Fun and Freedom" etc....Nope, had to go for the "Sexier" sounding/macho/sensationalist "LOCK N' LOAD!"

In the first clip we have a guy basically stating he WANTS to shoot someone, a female doing a foul-mouthed Dirty Harry impression, stereotypes regarding postal workers and phallic symbolism, and an obviously untrained granny being borderline dangerous to herself and others, all accompanied by a driving rock soundtrack. All of this reeks of a disdainful/condescending attitude toward firearms and firearms owners, that attitude being that owning guns is some kind of abnormal behavior and that gunowners are abnormal individuals. I do not see this particular program as presenting an image that is beneficial to our position... :xmad:

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    These shows mirror real life

Exactly. There was a thread on this back when the concept was first being developed. IMO, this is NOT the kind of exposure we need, and it's not going to end well.

These are called reality shows because they mirror real life experiences. What they will show is not any different then what we experience every day of our lives. Hopefully there will be a cross section of normal people and the diehards and radicals that are also part of the gun ownership community. We have them on INGO so why not on a reality TV show about the comings and goings of a typical gun store?

Could you visualize someone doing a story on INGO and what members would they be quoting? I bet we all have a pretty good guess who they would quote and personally none of them exemplify who I would consider the average gun owner type. Average is boring in the entertainment and news business

spartan933

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2008
    Porter County

I am also concerned that the exposure maybe somewhat exploitative against gun owners. Making us look like dumb rednecks or paranoid survivalists. Not that there is anything wrong with that to me. But, to a lot of people that are uneducated regarding guns, there is something wrong with that.

Anyways, I will keep an open mind and reserve judgment until I see the first episode or I may reserve a verdict until the end of the series. I understand that it is a mini-series.

zebov

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    Maybe we can hope that the trailers are all the "catchy" parts of the show--you know the parts that make someone "have to see it." Maybe the real show will be 10 responsible gun owners shown discussing why they want to responsibly own a gun while 1 will be a "crazy gun nut." My thought goes to the tattoo shows on TV nowadays. Yes, they have their crazy tattoo-riddled customers, but they also have the ones who want a tattoo of their son who drowned, or a tattoo of a cross because of their newfound faith, etc. etc.

We can always hope, right?

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    We'll get what we deserve.

My guess is if we end up with a 50-50 mix we will be doing well considering weird sells and boring does not. Again look at forums like INGO and think what posts catch your eye. Unless you see a subject you have a particular interest in like “Look at my new Springfield 1911” you will tend to stop at the “I carried my assault rifle into church this morning” post.

Maybe we can hope that the trailers are all the "catchy" parts of the show--you know the parts that make someone "have to see it." Maybe the real show will be 10 responsible gun owners shown discussing why they want to responsibly own a gun while 1 will be a "crazy gun nut." My thought goes to the tattoo shows on TV nowadays. Yes, they have their crazy tattoo-riddled customers, but they also have the ones who want a tattoo of their son who drowned, or a tattoo of a cross because of their newfound faith, etc. etc.

We can always hope, right?

Mike_M

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2009
    Beautiful Milan
    I think Michiana hit the nail on the head. They will show the lunatic fringe of the gun world because that is what gets ratings and gets the show watched and brings in advertising dollars. This is not journalism that is supposed to present a balanced view. Of course, it is merely coincidental that it reflects the liberal media's view that guns should be banned because gun owners are "all crazy" and can't be trusted. I'm sure the Brady Bunch is supporting this in one way or another........

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RedMurph
    Top Bottom