• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Southwest Way Park off Mann road still has signs up that prohibit guns in the park. They also mention bb guns and paintball guns.

BB guns and paintball guns are not part of the Preemption Act so they can still be outlawed.

BTW if you guys want something done about all of this you need to start emailing and writing letters to your local governments in charge of these areas. Once they refuse or actually use these ordinances against you then you have the basis for a lawsuit. :twocents:

Tony7141

Marksman
    Rating - 60%
    3   2   0
    May 20, 2012
    Plainfield
    BTW if you guys want something done about all of this you need to start emailing and writing letters to your local governments in charge of these areas. Once they refuse or actually use these ordinances against you then you have the basis for a lawsuit. :twocents:[/QUOTE]

Or maybe they will actually change the signs, stranger things have happened, right? :dunno:

Tony7141

Marksman
    Rating - 60%
    3   2   0
    May 20, 2012
    Plainfield
    Many actually have. Mentioning Guy Relford in your initial request might spur them on a little better... :laugh:

But seriously there are several examples of municipalities correcting their signage and rules here on INGO.

I know there have been some good examples of communities fixing these issues, i.e. Proctor park in New Whiteland, but seriously this is Indianapolis, it will be like pulling teeth.

larrylegend

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Hancock County
    To be clear, the sign says, "Guns are prohibited. This includes bb guns and paintball guns." I took that to mean that any guns are prohibited not just bb guns and paintballs guns. That is just what the sign says as of last week.

BB guns and paintball guns are not part of the Preemption Act so they can still be outlawed.

BTW if you guys want something done about all of this you need to start emailing and writing letters to your local governments in charge of these areas. Once they refuse or actually use these ordinances against you then you have the basis for a lawsuit. :twocents:

.45 Dave

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    I know I'm posting to an old thread here, but there is a walking trail in Anderson off of Rangeline Road that has a big sign saying "No Firearms" plus a lot of other rules. I don't think this sign is current and probably in violation of state law as the trails here are owned by the Anderson Parks Department. I'm not sure though and would like some feedback on this.

Here are their rules:
    http://www.andersonparks.com/uploads/ATPDRulesRegs.PDF

EvilBlackGun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   1
    Apr 11, 2011
    Mid-eastern
    I think that ...

... no state, municipality or other public entity may pass laws circumventing the Constitution. Private businesses, private universities, the USPS , libraries, et al MAY pass such pre-emptive rules, but I have yet to be called out in the USPS, or library (CC). I'm trying to find the thread, and it had to do with Fort Wayne PD recently. EBG

.45 Dave

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    ... no state, municipality or other public entity may pass laws circumventing the Constitution. Private businesses, private universities, the USPS , libraries, et al MAY pass such pre-emptive rules, but I have yet to be called out in the USPS, or library (CC). I'm trying to find the thread, and it had to do with Fort Wayne PD recently. EBG

I noticed our local library took down their "no firearms" sign immediately after the new law went into effect. It did not effect me anyway as I CC'd there anyway!

I'm not sure if the Parks Department can restrict firearms under the new law. I don't think so though. It is a wetlands and a nature preserve but not under the jurisdiction of the Corps of Engineers or any agency that falls under Federal authority. So I don't believe they can.

EDIT: I have sent an email to our local Parks head to see what they say about it. I'll post what ever reply I get when I get one.

Last edited:

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Good luck. Since some "high profile" lawsuits regarding SB292 have made the news local political subdivisions have started perking up and snapping to when they are called out. See EBG's reference to FWPD's quick response to Guy's letter.

FYI: libraries and city property are absolutely included and they need to take the signs down- since July 1, 2011.

.45 Dave

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    Good luck. Since some "high profile" lawsuits regarding SB292 have made the news local political subdivisions have started perking up and snapping to when they are called out. See EBG's reference to FWPD's quick response to Guy's letter.

FYI: libraries and city property are absolutely included and they need to take the signs down- since July 1, 2011.

This the email I sent:

Dear Sir:

I noticed there is a big sign posting rules for the trails there. Among the rules is one saying "No Firearms" I have a state issued license to carry a handgun and was under the impression that current law states that such posted prohibitions are no longer legal in Indiana. Could you please clarify this for me? Thank you.

Polite and inquisitive until I get an answer and then, depending on what I get in reply, I will decide how to press the issue. I don't intend to make trouble unless they want to get arrogant about it. I suspect it's an old sign that no one has brought to their attention and not challenged them on. If it's not in compliance with state law, which I don't see how it could be, then I intend to insist that they amend it. If they don't in a reasonable time frame I will forward it to Guy.

edit: I didn't get all the email in, sorry for the confusion of the first sentence. It refers to the trails off Rangeline Road in Anderson which I referenced in the subject of the email.

Last edited:

AndersonIN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Anderson, IN
    I know the guy that either heads up or helps high up the admin. of the bike trail. He knows I carry 24/7 and he knows I ride the trails. He's never mentioned a thing to me about it. I think the the sign is just a hold over from before the bike trail and the new law trying to keep people from hunting back there! I'll ask him about it also if I get a chance. Keep us updated to the email!

Grump01

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Madison County
    I know I'm posting to an old thread here, but there is a walking trail in Anderson off of Rangeline Road that has a big sign saying "No Firearms" plus a lot of other rules. I don't think this sign is current and probably in violation of state law as the trails here are owned by the Anderson Parks Department. I'm not sure though and would like some feedback on this.

Here are their rules:
    http://www.andersonparks.com/uploads/ATPDRulesRegs.PDF

After checking this link, it appears to be from an Anderson Township in Ohio, not Indiana. Section 11 Page 5 about Harmful Intoxicants refers to a section of Ohio Revised Code.

:)

.45 Dave

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    After checking this link, it appears to be from an Anderson Township in Ohio, not Indiana. Section 11 Page 5 about Harmful Intoxicants refers to a section of Ohio Revised Code.

:)

So it does!! Good catch! My bad for not reading the entire thing. However, the rules seem to be the same for Anderson Indiana parks and the bike park is in Anderson Township (I believe).

I took my dog there yesterday and carried CC despite the sign.

.45 Dave

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    I know the guy that either heads up or helps high up the admin. of the bike trail. He knows I carry 24/7 and he knows I ride the trails. He's never mentioned a thing to me about it. I think the the sign is just a hold over from before the bike trail and the new law trying to keep people from hunting back there! I'll ask him about it also if I get a chance. Keep us updated to the email!

Thanks! And please keep us posted as to what you find out!

phatgemi

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 1, 2008
    Metamora, IN
    I don't know if it's been mentioned in the thread, but the last that I knew, Brookville prohibits firearms on city property.

Nope, brookville got wise and repealed their ordinance. The county office buildings also removed their signs after a few calls.

I am not sure about the county park at the fair grounds.

TheReaper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2012
    Southeastern IN
    Nope, brookville got wise and repealed their ordinance. The county office buildings also removed their signs after a few calls.

I am not sure about the county park at the fair grounds.

That's good to hear, I never did hear what happened with that. It was obvious that it wasn't going to last.

Top Bottom