• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    IMHO Yes, you're asking for trouble if you live on the east side and work on the west. Traffic flow N-S on 37 is smooth and fast, traffic flow east-side to west-side isn't so smooth sailing, especially during rush hour. There just isn't a good way to get across town.

Ellettsville is only 5-10 minutes from Bloomington, IMHO too close. Spencer is a good ways away and a bit more frustrating drive. It's a 2-lane state highway that is 99% no-passing zones because of the hills/curves. Get behind a single slow person and it seems to take all day.

I would take the advice of some others to maybe find a place to rent and figure the place out for a while before choosing where to live...
    What about the 46 bypass?

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

That's a definite improvement but it depends on where you're going from and to. If you're going from Elletsville to the mall or the football stadium, it probably is better. But going east-west across Bloomington sucks.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    That's a definite improvement but it depends on where you're going from and to. If you're going from Elletsville to the mall or the football stadium, it probably is better. But going east-west across Bloomington sucks.

Oh I agree... I tried going from Lake Monroe and cutting through town via Lampkins Pike (Road?) from 446 to get to Walmart on the west side once. Big mistake! And that was on a weekend when it wasn't particularly busy...

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN

Because it goes right past campus it's busy, especially rush-hour while school is in session... Sometime it can take 10 minutes just getting from 37 past campus. Not to mention the intersections where 45 and 46 split off and it turns into College Mall Rd. Rush-hour can have traffic backed up solid through those areas. Granted, somebody that is used to down-town Indy rush-hour traffic will think it's a walk-in-the-park, but somebody that isn't used to that will think it's horrible traffic. I don't think it's horrible, but I can say with certainty that I absolutely don't want to drive that every day before and after work... My 20 mile drive through the country is much more relaxing than sitting locked in traffic...

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Do those bicyclists still do that demonstration once or twice a year where they get a bunch of them together and then clog up the main arteries through town? I never got caught behind them but my wife has. She was not happy.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Because it goes right past campus it's busy, especially rush-hour while school is in session... Sometime it can take 10 minutes just getting from 37 past campus. Not to mention the intersections where 45 and 46 split off and it turns into College Mall Rd. Rush-hour can have traffic backed up solid through those areas. Granted, somebody that is used to down-town Indy rush-hour traffic will think it's a walk-in-the-park, but somebody that isn't used to that will think it's horrible traffic. I don't think it's horrible, but I can say with certainty that I absolutely don't want to drive that every day before and after work... My 20 mile drive through the country is much more relaxing than sitting locked in traffic...
    I'm used to driving in Indy and I still hate traffic. It sometimes takes me 10 minutes just to go the last mile of my commute home because of ridiculously long lights. I think I could literally park my car and walk and get home faster. :xmad:

Last edited:

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I'm used to driving in Indy and I still hate traffic. It sometimes takes me 10 minutes just to go the last mile of my commute home because of ridiculously long lights. I think I could literally park my car and walk and get home faster. :xmad:

Yeah, you can keep that stuff... a bad traffic day for me is if I get stuck behind somebody doing 50 or less...

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'm northeast in the Unionville area. My fairly regular run to Park 48 is +/- 25 minutes. There are common routes from here to avoid the city traffic areas, but you can still be at the mercy of the occasional pokey driver or self-centered bicyclists content with having you behind them on the two lanes. I've learned to selectively treat double yellow lines as a suggestion. Also that arrogant bicylists can flip you off all day long, but they don't have horns.
    :lmfao:

I cannot speak to every house in the area, but my rural road has Comcast cable.

MSG3 stands for mutual support group, area 3. Just a bunch of tin foil hat wearing, TEOWAKI fearing, possibly gun enthusiast, preppers.:nuts:

Last edited:

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    186   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    I believe Morgan County should be considered, low property taxes compared to Johnson & Monroe for one thing. This contributes largely to affordable housing costs. Martinsville or Mooresville are good options if you wish to be in town.

Here is a link to some stats on a variety of things to be factual & avoid think so's.

Morgan County, Indiana detailed profile - houses, real estate, cost of living, wages, work, agriculture, ancestries, and more

here by city, scroll down & you can compare;
    Indiana Smaller Cities, Towns, and Villages (between 1000 and 6000 residents) - Real Estate, Housing, Schools, Residents, Crime, Pollution, Demographics and More

Good luck & we hope to see you in our area, if you do relocate here I can be of help.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    My works in Bloomington and I at Crane. Living in Bedford for now but will probably end up at the edge of Lawrence or Green County for easier access to Bloomington down the road.

We are waiting for I-69 to get done to see what kind of rural places open up for easier access. Southern Indiana is a beautiful place to live.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    I lived in Bloomington for 15 years, and had never been to Bedford. I moved to Lawrence county because land was less than half the cost of comparable land in Monroe county, and I wanted a large property that I could shoot on. I LOVE Bedford, and you could not pay me enough money to ever move back to Bloomington. The people are friendlier in Bedford, and their are much less taxes, laws and ordinances. Bedford doesn't even have a law on the books banning the discharge of a firearm in the city limits. I lived outside the city limits in Bloomington, but STILL had to get a permit just to change the front door on my house. When I moved to Lawrence county, I went to the courthouse and said I needed a building permit, and was told "why? You own the land, you can do with it wht you like". I really like that kind of attitude.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    If you get the job and need a place to shoot, drop me a PM, and you are welcome to come down to Bedford and shoot at my private range

Wow, that would be awesome. One of the things that saddens me about this potential move is having to give up shooting. I have access to 3 different ranges near me, I have two places to shoot Trap and plenty of competitions and events close to where I live. My wife is actually concerned and acknowledges that I am making the bigger sacrifice if I take this job.

The saving grace for me is, if I can't shoot much anymore, I will take up another hobby. And there is plenty of opportunities down there; mountain biking, spelunking, hiking, numerous water activities, etc.

I actually think we will look down around Bedford for a place to live.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Though I haven't joined (I'm a non-repented cheap-skate), there's the Mitchell Outdoor Sportsman's Club that has a range and Sugar Creek Sporting Clays -- both of which are within walking distance to my house...might be worth a look if you get the job.

Good Luck!

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    i was born and raised in Bloomington and 20 years ago i moved to Greene County...was tired of the MC planning commissioners tell me what trees i can cut or not cut on my property.....then if you stick a shovel in the ground and don't tell them some sticks a sign in your yard then you have to beg them to do work on your ground....but i thought i moved out far enough to get away from silly ass's then they stick a interstate at the end of my road.....if you leave to get away from them they just fallow you around!!!!!

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Just wanted to let you all know that I accepted the job in Bloomington. Now the process starts of selling our home and finding something down there. I would like to stay within about 30 minutes driving time to my job which is on the west side near 37. Beginning in mid July my wife and I will spend weekends driving around looking at communities outside of Bloomington mostly.

Not opposed to living in Bloomington, but it has to be the right location and preferably a foreclosure that we can buy cheap and live in while I fix it.

I am a little concerned that I may not be able to shoot much anymore which is kind of sad. I did my first IDPA match a couple weeks ago and I am already hooked!:)

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    Congratulations. While it's a bit of a drive, South Central Gun Club hosts USPSA matches every month. Maybe we can find a day that our schedules are free and I'll take you down to check the place out.

Top Bottom