• Status
    Not open for further replies.

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    I learned when my family moved from Wisconsin to Southern Indiana while I was still in high school that things have different names. Got a bunch of strange looks the first time I asked where the nearest bubbler was.

If you think that's good, I had a translation fail after I asked for a rubber in the office. Back home it just means an eraser :ugh:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    If you think that's good, I had a translation fail after I asked for a rubber in the office. Back home it just means an eraser :ugh:
    I remember working in a restaurant with a gal from Ireland and we were hanging out at the bar after work one night and at one point she said, "I'm getting pissed!" I looked at her and asked her why, when she seemed to be in a pretty good mood. That's when I learned that "pissed" just meant "drunk". :):

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    I remember working in a restaurant with a gal from Ireland and we were hanging out at the bar after work one night and at one point she said, "I'm getting pissed!" I looked at her and asked her why, when she seemed to be in a pretty good mood. That's when I learned that "pissed" just meant "drunk". :):
    I know an Australian guy that said "get in the ****." Apparently p i s s is a bad word according to the INGO filter ....

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    This, is a bubbler.

image.jpg

Although the ones I remember as a kid were usually porcelain balls rather than the nickel-plated brass shown here.

Bubblers were "always on"....quite a significant amount of wasted fresh water. I seem to remember them going out of favor in the 60's when on-demand fountain valves replaced them.

Mothers always cautioned their children to never let their mouths touch the metal/porcelain because of "germs" (polio, trench mouth, etc etc etc).

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    We can take most words and put -ed at the end to say we're getting drunk.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I have literally never heard "water pump pliers" until just now. My grandfathers both called them Channel locks, one a WW2 vet and the other a Korean War vet so well-predating Gen X.
    I've heard it but I thought it was a specific type of channel locks, the big round mouth ones for things like pvc/oil filters. I've only heard channel locks used for regular old channel locks. My granddad called them channel locks, he didn't serve in WW2 but his brother did. He already had a wife and family with a necessary job. Millrat machinist at the steel mills in NWI.
    How about a "Ford Wrench"? We had a variety of sizes when I worked at UAL, never had a need for one though.

A wrench with smooth jaws is not used for turning threaded pipe. ... These are also known as a Ford wrench owing to this type of wrench being included in the tool kit supplied with every Ford Model A. They are still used by aircraft technicians, mainly when large but low torque fasteners are involved.

81OtxbrqEgL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    I learned those as a gas line wrench. Very different than a pipe wrench mind you.
    I thought it was the tire tool. Marked as Ford.
    Nah a tire tool is that metal hockey stick looking thing with a socket on one end and a prying wedge at the other aka lug wrench.
    This, is a bubbler.

image.jpg

Although the ones I remember as a kid were usually porcelain balls rather than the nickel-plated brass shown here.

Bubblers were "always on"....quite a significant amount of wasted fresh water. I seem to remember them going out of favor in the 60's when on-demand fountain valves replaced them.

Mothers always cautioned their children to never let their mouths touch the metal/porcelain because of "germs" (polio, trench mouth, etc etc etc).
    Nah this is a bubbler. There's a couple of different kinds.

I've heard them called Ford Wrench, but it's a Monkey Wrench for me.

Had a nice one, until it came up missing.
    I always heard/used monkey wrench used for a crescent wrench.
    Do electric vehicles require the use of wrenches?
    I'm guessing this one took a whole lot of wrenching, along with torching/welding/machining/general fab.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    My main object in life was keeping from getting yelled at, or being put on my keyster.

Now, if a boss yells at me, I usually laugh and tell him to see my father for some tips.

And for those who have met my Dad at a NWI INGO shoot, that is the "new" dad.
    He is an alien that took over my Dad's body and mellowed him down.
    He now says.. "You catch more flies with honey".
    He used to say.. "Get over here!" as he was pulling off his belt.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    And for those who have met my Dad at a NWI INGO shoot, that is the "new" dad.
    He is an alien that took over my Dad's body and mellowed him down.
    He now says.. "You catch more flies with honey".
    He used to say.. "Get over here!" as he was pulling off his belt.

Life is a marathon filled with obstacles, sprints, pits, etc.

Run the race!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom