Not open for further replies.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    Ok so what is discord? This is the 3rd time someone has mentioned it here, is it a chat room type deal or what

Discord is a proprietary freeware VoIP application and digital distribution platform designed for video gaming communities, that specializes in text, image, video and audio communication between users in a chat channel. Discord runs on Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Linux, and in web browsers. -Wikipedia

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Ok so what is discord? This is the 3rd time someone has mentioned it here, is it a chat room type deal or what

Yeah pretty much. There would be a "server" called INGO, for example. Within it would be a bunch of channels, much like the categories we have on the forum... guns, politics, general, etc... and in each of them, it's just a chatroom for the most part. You click on channels to jump between them, it retains everything from the beginning of time, easily searched. See a list of "online" members.

It's used to join a bunch of different communities, like specific games or hobbies.

Here's a screenshot I found online to give you an idea of the UI.

Left is the servers you've joined, so that would be where "INGO" could be, for example. Just to the right of that is the list of channels within the currently selected server. To the right of that is the contents of the selected channel (#General, in this case) of people talking. To the right of that is the list of online/offline users of the server.

Ghr8RhN.png

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    Yeah pretty much. There would be a "server" called INGO, for example. Within it would be a bunch of channels, much like the categories we have on the forum... guns, politics, general, etc... and in each of them, it's just a chatroom for the most part. You click on channels to jump between them, it retains everything from the beginning of time, easily searched. See a list of "online" members.

It's used to join a bunch of different communities, like specific games or hobbies.

Here's a screenshot I found online to give you an idea of the UI.

Left is the servers you've joined, so that would be where "INGO" could be, for example. Just to the right of that is the list of channels within the currently selected server. To the right of that is the contents of the selected channel (#General, in this case) of people talking. To the right of that is the list of online/offline users of the server.

Ghr8RhN.png

Thanks for the screenshot! That helps a lot. It sounds and looks like an updated version of IRC, but with an persistent memory that saves everything. The voice option would be nice too. Is this a free system to be a member of? And is it also free to create a server? An ingo discord would be kinda legit if we had some way to limit who could join to only trusted/long term members or something. Doesn’t even have to be “associated” with ingo if mods didn’t want it to be, could just be a place for “Indiana gun enthusiasts” or something of the like.

Edited to add: If that ever became a thing, GP and CM or somethhing would have to be the admins of the server. I’d be all for that. Maybe in the future that could be discussed to work the kinks out and become a thing.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    Yes, that is what I was saying. You could create a new channel and on some servers require a log/pass to get in.

Oh ok I gotcha, I misread your post sorry. I’m not sure how discord works cause I’ve never used it, but IRC had amazing abilities. Especially for it’s time. I loved being able to create a channel and have your group of buddies break off and do whatever, while still being able to participate in the main/other channels simultaneously.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Oh ok I gotcha, I misread your post sorry. I’m not sure how discord works cause I’ve never used it, but IRC had amazing abilities. Especially for it’s time. I loved being able to create a channel and have your group of buddies break off and do whatever, while still being able to participate in the main/other channels simultaneously.

And they had a /whisper switch so you could send something in the channel only to one person.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DJLouis
    Top Bottom