• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • exelh

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    Nashville
    But getting yelled at for stuff like setting your beverage inside the yellow line is more than a little overboard. If tax payers built the place, and then you are paying them to use the facility, they should be able to show some measure of respect. I think they are fantasising (sp) that they are cops and consequently, have the same attitude towards the people who pay thier salary. If you are doing something dangerous or stupid, that is one thing, but they are rarely ever polite about anything, and I have been there several times. I will continue to go there, just hope some of this gets back to them and they start showing respect to thier customers.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    That "taxpayers" built the facility has little to do with the fact that concessionaires are running the facility; this is true in many cases. As the concessionaires they are responsible for the safe operation of the range. If you are willing to ignore a rule that says you aren't supposed to put anything inside the yellow line (presumably while targets are being checked and replaced), what's to say you aren't willing to ignore other safety rules put in place to protect the occupants of the range? For the most part, the ROs I have dealt with at Atterbury have been polite and helpful to me and to most of those around me. I got yelled at because I did something without thinking that could have endangered those around me - or at least it looked that way to the RO who was halfway down the line. Matters not; I wasn't following the rules and the RO got my attention. If you follow the rules - all of 'em - you shouldn't get yelled at. If you do something wrong, you shouldn't get upset if you get yelled at. If you can't accept that, perhaps you should take your shooting dollars elsewhere.

indianajoe

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 24, 2009
    Fishers
    That "taxpayers" built the facility has little to do with the fact that concessionaires are running the facility; this is true in many cases. As the concessionaires they are responsible for the safe operation of the range. If you are willing to ignore a rule that says you aren't supposed to put anything inside the yellow line (presumably while targets are being checked and replaced), what's to say you aren't willing to ignore other safety rules put in place to protect the occupants of the range? For the most part, the ROs I have dealt with at Atterbury have been polite and helpful to me and to most of those around me. I got yelled at because I did something without thinking that could have endangered those around me - or at least it looked that way to the RO who was halfway down the line. Matters not; I wasn't following the rules and the RO got my attention. If you follow the rules - all of 'em - you shouldn't get yelled at. If you do something wrong, you shouldn't get upset if you get yelled at. If you can't accept that, perhaps you should take your shooting dollars elsewhere.

Blackhawk2001 is making good points here. My wife and I took Sheriff Ken Campbell's "Intro to Defensive Pistol" class a couple weeks ago. While on the firing line, I got yelled at for backing off the "yellow line" (the shooter in the lane next to me had his finger on the trigger with his muzzle pointed at my feet). As the instructor was dealing with this shooter's safety infraction, he barked at me to "GET BACK ON THE LINE!" Then after he had control of the situation, in a normal tone of voice, "I can't have people dancing around on the line." Point being that consistency is important: one rule gets bent, the next forms a crack, then one gets broken, and then it's a free-for-all.

There've been a couple times I've driven an hour out to Wilbur Wright, seen so many people being so unsafe that I haven't even unloaded my range bag. Got right back in the car and left.

As far as all these hurt feelings over "getting yelled at," Blackhawk2001 notes "...the RO got my attention." That's what it's about. Here's a not-uncommon thing to hear over the PA during a cease-fire:

"You down there. Get off the bench during cease-fire."

No response. Shooter is monkeying with his pistol while my wife is downrange changing a target.

"Plaid shirt and baseball cap! Get off the BENCH!"

No response. Plaid shirt is oblivious.

"GET OFF THE BENCH DOWN THERE!!!"

Plaid shirt: "Huh? Who me? Jeez, you don't have to be @ss about it! I'm paying your salary, for chrissakes!"​

Even my wife gets it. The Atterbury ROs raise their voices to get the attention of people whose attention needs got. "I expect the girl who does my nails to talk sweet to me. These guys here know what they're doing."

Last edited:

exelh

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    Nashville
    you people are missing the point. being rude and yelling isn't necessary until it becomes necessary. they don't need to start out that way. "Be nice, until it's time to not be nice" (Patrick Swayze, Road House). maybe you guys like being spoken to like you are children. i grew up showing respect and in turn, i expect it back. that simple. perhaps i will take my money elsewhere, and i spend a lot on reloading supplies, so i get the satisfaction of them not getting 135.00 every time i buy 8lbs of powder. i never spend just 6.00 when i go there, hope they read this.

so you know blackhawk2001, i personally have never been yelled at for doing anything dangerous to others at that range. that i can understand, if you got yelled at for endangering others, you indeed deserved it.

and indianajoe, i don't want the range officers to talk sweet to me either, just a little respect is all.

One other point, the rude ro that was there last thursday was so attentive that most of the time he was target practing on a lane. when he wasn't being rude to people, that is. how attentive is that?

dbeattie

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2011
    Angola Conservation Club behind the American Legion on US20 west of Angola. $35 a year for new members, $25 a year to renew. 100(+) yard rifle range, 3 or 4 25 yard pistol lanes isolated with big dirt berms. Nothing fancy, but well maintained, don't leave a mess. Usually a nice stack of old pallets there to staple your targets to. I've been shooting there since 1985.

Do you have any contact info for them? I'm from Fremont myself. Thanks in advance.

Maxsec

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2010
    I hate to disagree with you (actually I really don't hate it) but _I_ personally have been yelled at while I was on the line at the Atterbury Range - because I was doing something stupid. And I was okay with that. When you have one RO watching 30 lanes with folks of unknown expertise handling potentially deadly weapons, there is lots of room for "accidents". If I were an RO there, I'd be jumpy as a cat in a room full of rocking chairs.

Their behavior isn't out of line for any mass-firing-line situation I've ever seen, from Basic Training, to Pre-Deployment weapons quals, to law enforcement qualifications. You toe the line, follow the rules - exactly - or get dressed down or worse. They are responsible for safety on the firing line and they arguably do whatever they feel is necessary to maintain a safe operation. If you're comfortable going to a range where that isn't so, please let me know which one it is so I can avoid it.

I agree with you, since you did something stupid which was endagering others, you deserved be yelled at.

But there is something that I don't think you are quite smart enough to understand. I'll try and explain it, but forgive me if you still don't get it.

When you are in a firing line situation in basic training, pre-deployemnt quals or law enforcement quals (it's interesting that you mentioned this, I'll come back to this later) you are never the CUSTOMER. As a mater of fact, you go in expecting to be treated like ****. But you need to understand that Atterbury is a BUSINESS, a BUSINESS that would like to see returning CUSTOMERS. The first thing that a BUSINESS can do to ensure that a CUSTOMER returns is to be polite and show them the respect they deserve as a CUSTOMER. This is not happening at Atterbury. To be honest, those guys act like ******* cops, and judging by what you had written earlier, I would say you are also.:ar15:

Maxsec

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2010
    Blackhawk2001 is making good points here. My wife and I took Sheriff Ken Campbell's "Intro to Defensive Pistol" class a couple weeks ago. While on the firing line, I got yelled at for backing off the "yellow line" (the shooter in the lane next to me had his finger on the trigger with his muzzle pointed at my feet). As the instructor was dealing with this shooter's safety infraction, he barked at me to "GET BACK ON THE LINE!" Then after he had control of the situation, in a normal tone of voice, "I can't have people dancing around on the line." Point being that consistency is important: one rule gets bent, the next forms a crack, then one gets broken, and then it's a free-for-all.

There've been a couple times I've driven an hour out to Wilbur Wright, seen so many people being so unsafe that I haven't even unloaded my range bag. Got right back in the car and left.

As far as all these hurt feelings over "getting yelled at," Blackhawk2001 notes "...the RO got my attention." That's what it's about. Here's a not-uncommon thing to hear over the PA during a cease-fire:
    "You down there. Get off the bench during cease-fire."

No response. Shooter is monkeying with his pistol while my wife is downrange changing a target.

"Plaid shirt and baseball cap! Get off the BENCH!"

No response. Plaid shirt is oblivious.

"GET OFF THE BENCH DOWN THERE!!!"

Plaid shirt: "Huh? Who me? Jeez, you don't have to be @ss about it! I'm paying your salary, for chrissakes!"
    Even my wife gets it. The Atterbury ROs raise their voices to get the attention of people whose attention needs got. "I expect the girl who does my nails to talk sweet to me. These guys here know what they're doing."

There's a big difference between getting someone attention and just being a d.ck. I've never been yelled at, but anytime they have ever had anything to say, they've been @ssholes, it's not needed. They are probably cops, that seems to be how most cops treat the general public.

The example you also gave is an instance when I would expect the RO to get a little upset. You see, they are d.cks even when they don't need to be, it's just their nature.

Nobodies asking the RO to be all sweet and cudly, we are only asking for the respect we deserve as CUSTOMERS. Judging what ExelH had written, if the RO is actually shooting instead of watching, then how can they even know what is going on?

Kimber

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2011
    South Bend
    shooting Ranges NWI

I shoot at Kingsbury it cost only four dollors per person all day and anyone can shoot there. Paper targets only. pistol, rifle and shotgun. they have an area for shooting clays and they have the equipment to throw the clays (not sure what its called)

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I agree with you, since you did something stupid which was endagering others, you deserved be yelled at.

(snipped for irrelevance) To be honest, those guys act like ******* cops, and judging by what you had written earlier, I would say you are also.:ar15:

I wasn't doing something to endanger others, I wasn't following the rules. Don't know what your beef is with cops, but, although I've had law enforcement firearms training, I'm not a cop. Heretofore I haven't bothered to call you names, so I'll refrain this time as well, but your obvious prejudice precludes us from having an intelligent discussion of this issue. By all means, please stay away from Atterbury's range. Think of it as Evolution in Action...

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    central IN
    MCFG, unless you know someone who owns some land. Runs about $125 to start for a one year membership.

I've been to Atterbury just once; since it became fee-based. I used to go there fairly often in the 30-40 years previous. I won't be back there, barring radical change.

parsimonious

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    SE IN
    This has become frustrating finding a range in SE IN. there is one along brookville lake
    and a bunch in OH, but none close around north dearborn county.
    can someone help me with this maybe I'm missing something.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    Does anyone know anything about "Family Indoor Shooting Range"? Family Indoor Shooting Range

They were formally "Popguns" but their website says they are a completely different company now. I want to take my daughter somewhere to shoot today. Their range fees seem a little ridiculous to me but since Eagle Creek is closed and most other places are a ways off, I'd probably spend that much anyway if I went somewhere else. This place is only 5 minutes away from me.

So anyone been there or heard anything?

UPDATE: Just returned from there. I don't care what any website says, for all practical purposes this is still Popguns. No signs have been changed. I did not see any sign that said "Family Indoor Shooting Range".

Last edited:

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    I think Indiana needs a new law requiring every county to have at least one public range. I see a lot of benefits that would come from that. They need not be fancy just safe.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    The one thing that keeps me from going shooting anywhere is ... not really knowing where to go. Went to Atterbury once, and I'm not really interested in doing it again. I don't want fees. I want to go outside somewhere safe and just shoot, but I don't know of any place like that =/

I live in an apartment right now, so I don't exactly "own property" to shoot on... and even if I did, it'd probably be some neighborhood where I wouldn't be able to.

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    The one thing that keeps me from going shooting anywhere is ... not really knowing where to go. Went to Atterbury once, and I'm not really interested in doing it again. I don't want fees. I want to go outside somewhere safe and just shoot, but I don't know of any place like that =/

I live in an apartment right now, so I don't exactly "own property" to shoot on... and even if I did, it'd probably be some neighborhood where I wouldn't be able to.

Yep - me too. What's shy I drive to Wilbur Wright every once in awhile - free range.

There is also one south near Seymour too if you are down that way.

Top Bottom