• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    Hey everyone, first of all, I didnt do any searching, because I kinda feel like the opinions change constantly, and I kinda wanted the opinions as of now.

Im old school, I grew up surrounded by 50 year old men using spincasters, so naturally everyone around me was shocked when I was 12 and decided to switch to a spinning reel, no one uses baitcasters because "they just backlash, and they arent worth the trouble."
    6 months ago, a buddy convinced me to break out of my 21 year old spinning reel comfort zone, and get a baitcaster. So I got a decent one, not the cheap one, it was one space down from the most expensive combo. He recommended a line, and I tried it, took me awhile to get the hang of it, and I do like the way it casts, and have relegated it to all my crankbaits, and soft plastic rigs. I still use spinning reels for spinnerbaits.

So, heres the question. Ive tried several different kinds and brands of line, and I cannot find ANY that doesnt get HORRIBLE memory. To the point where when you pull it from the spool, its in curls the same diameter as the spool. The slightest amount of slack on the line, and BAM, backlash.

My thought was to put my powerpro braided on it, because Ive used it for years and it NEVER has ANY memory, not even on the tiny little spool on my ultralight rig. But Ive been told its a horrible idea for baitcasters, cant really say I understand that, but whatever.

I was fishing for walleye in eagle creek yesterday and 30 minutes in, I snagged a branch behind me on the cast, and BAM, birdnest, and of course the line is so damned curled up, I had to cut it all off.

SO..... Opinions on baitcasters. Opinions on line. Recommendations would be great.

Lets chat. Thanks

ilikeguns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Prairie Creek
    IMO,baitcasters are the only way to go for anything but the lightest lures/jigs. The amount of control they allow plus the far superior drag systems put the above everything else. The best line I have found is actually a very affordable line. Bass Pro Shops brand Excel is excellent. Super limp, very low memory and strong as hell with superb knot strength. You can get a jumbo spool with 1200yds for like $20. I use mostly the 17lb line but have some lighter for certain things. Never had ones issue with any of it and it way out performs the higher dollar brands I have tried in the past. As far as the reels themselves, I love my shimano Curado's. The 200SF is my favorite.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    I've used Berkley Fire Line on all my level winds and spinning reels for years. It's got no memory at all and is strong as the day is long. It's saved me many a lure as well, though I've had to replace hooks that were straightened out.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    I use old school mono line in 12,14 & 17 on my baitcasters primarily. The birds nest is user error not the line or the reel. Sorry, but it is unless the reel is crap and even then. Practice, practice and more practice. My favorite baitcaster is 27 years old and still have no trouble with it. And did I mention practice.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    Well, I expect to still screw it up, only having 6 months experience. Im beyond messing up when sidearm casting, I still screw up overhand once in awhile, but rarely can I pick it out. Its just so frikin twisted up in there. I am an aggresive thumb braker just because I know, that no matter what Ive tried, the flourocarbons, suffux, fuse, P line, I even tried some cheap mono, I had lying around, its all over the SECOND I make a mistake.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Practice will go a long way in helping with the back lashes. Snagging a branch behind you will almost always cause one, even with good reels and good line. I like some of the new fluorocarbon monofilaments. I used braids for a long time, but realized that I got hung up way too often (if you aren't fishing close to cover and getting hung up every now and then, you aren't fishing where the fish are) and ended up going through a lot of braided line having to cut off lures. While I still get hung up with fluorocarbon of course, I can break off when I can't otherwise get the lure free.

I've found that some of the new lines have increased test weight for smaller diameter, so you do get some added bonus there. Last and final suggestion...change your line frequently, especially if you leave it on the reel over the off season. It will get memory, and will also get brittle and could cause it to break when you don't want it to break.

Cynical

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 21, 2013
    peru
    Braided lines work fine if as long as it is wound tight to the spool from the get go, otherwise it digs into itself from a large fish or pulling hard on a snag etc. If you are just starting out now you are at a slight advantage from where I started with all of the anti-backlash features on todays modern reels. It helps alot if you match the line and rod to to the intended weight you are going to be casting with. If you plan on casting 3/8 oz and up anything in 12-17 will be fine. The thicker the line the easier it is to untangle. I would start by adjusting your reel to the bait you are casting. Adust your bearing cap so that your lure falls slowly while in free-spool, when the lure hits the ground your spool should stop on its own without the birds nest. Starting with that will make it easier to feather the spool with your thumb when you cast. The rest is practice and a few spools of line after cutting out the birds nest

Cynical

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 21, 2013
    peru
    I also wanted to add I don't have a problem with baitcasters but I always seem to have a backlash with computers. I spend more time backspacing and fixing the problems. I prefer P-Line because it is more abrasion resistant. I would advise that the lines you use be limp to start and the coils won't be so pronounced. It helps if the rod you are using isn't too fast as well. A medium to medium fast will be a lot more forgiving. As for getting a hairball on the backcast, that would happen to the best of us. Its no different than snagging an oar or your dad. (Thats another topic) FYI I worked all through high school in the 80's in a bait store that my grandfather started in 1929. I managed it for 8 years in the 90's after a 4 year stint in the Army. Sadly it closed a couple years ago when my Uncle passed. If you have any more questions or problems I would be happy to help, it makes think of easier times when things made sense.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Don't put your thumb on the line when braking. Thumb to the spool side only. Old mono guy here. I grew up on Dale Hollow Lake and I've used 4lb line on old Ambassadeur 5000s with no problems.
    Don't be afraid to use more spool tension on the reel. You're not going to lose the casting distance you might think with a little more tension.
    Oh, and don't over fill the spool with line either. That's a common boo-boo. Leave at least an 1/8" of spool open0 when full. Simple stuff for uncomplicated reels.
    And of course the mandatory..."Palm down when finishing the cast". It's not an old Snoopy combo.

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    i use powerpro 65 pound line on all my baitcast reels. however, im slinging 8 oz of lead and a half pound piece of bluegill at most times. as far as lighter line, i hear great things about the specialized nature of braided spiderwire, not much experience with it. only powerpro.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    Braided lines work fine if as long as it is wound tight to the spool from the get go, otherwise it digs into itself from a large fish or pulling hard on a snag etc. If you are just starting out now you are at a slight advantage from where I started with all of the anti-backlash features on todays modern reels. It helps alot if you match the line and rod to to the intended weight you are going to be casting with. If you plan on casting 3/8 oz and up anything in 12-17 will be fine. The thicker the line the easier it is to untangle. I would start by adjusting your reel to the bait you are casting. Adust your bearing cap so that your lure falls slowly while in free-spool, when the lure hits the ground your spool should stop on its own without the birds nest. Starting with that will make it easier to feather the spool with your thumb when you cast. The rest is practice and a few spools of line after cutting out the birds nest

Thats the first thing my buddy taught me, so everytime I tie a lure on, I set the cap. Im getting there, for sure, but I guess I am just not used to the idea that ONE mistake is all I get. I mean, I cant tell you how bad Ive gotten my line in my spinning setup, and rarely is it fubar.

seamonster

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 11, 2013
    love flourocarbon on all but my topwater and worm poles. Sounds as if it is user error or your brakes arent set correctly.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    All advice above included, if you were my Son I would first tell you how disappointed in you I was. Then I would tell you to start with Trilene XL. I would also ask you if you put the line on the reel correctly? There is a right way and a wrong way to do it.

Get enough to fill the feel 2 or 3 times, by the time you burn it up you will be ready to upgrade to a better line and not waste a bunch of money while you are getting your skills and rig dialed in. I was kidding above. I would never tell you to your face how disappointed I was in you, I would talk about it with others behind your back.

Just for kicks, my first BC was a 5001c I bought in 75.

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Once I went to braided, I can't go back to mono. I like the zero stretch, strength to diameter, excellent transmission of feel from lure to rod and longevity.

I guess I just got spoiled. I can't get over how well you feel every bump and rub. I will admit it took me some time to stop hook sets on logs, grass and reeds.:lmfao:

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    Once I went to braided, I can't go back to mono. I like the zero stretch, strength to diameter, excellent transmission of feel from lure to rod and longevity.

I guess I just got spoiled. I can't get over how well you feel every bump and rub. I will admit it took me some time to stop hook sets on logs, grass and reeds.:lmfao:

You run braid in a baitcaster? Ive been using powerpro 8lb diameter 20lb test for years in my favorite spinning setup, I wanted to just spool up my baitcaster but I was told by several people it was a horrible idea.

Works ok for you i guess?

Top Bottom