• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    You run braid in a baitcaster? Ive been using powerpro 8lb diameter 20lb test for years in my favorite spinning setup, I wanted to just spool up my baitcaster but I was told by several people it was a horrible idea.

Works ok for you i guess?

It works very well for me. There are some tricks to it. When you spool it up, be sure to cover the spool with 15ish lb. mono and then tie the braid to it. As you spool the braid on keep a little extra pressure on it as you wind it on to reduce line dive.

I've used Power Pro on my bait casters for years.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    It's there to keep the spool from spinning inside the braid. The mono will grip the spool and the braid wont. I usually put a couple of spool widths of mono before the braid.

It also saves a bit of money, albeit not much. I usually buy my Fireline on the 150 yard spools because I can tuck a spare in my tackle box in the event that I do something stupid. By covering the base of the spool with a three or four of layers of mono, it allows me to spool two reels completely as 75 yards of super line is usually quite sufficient for my fishing needs. (I'm a cheap bastard too :):)
    I've only had one fish take me to the line backer, a 36" Pike a few years ago. That really was my own mistake because I was using a rig that I shouldn't have been. A light action rod with a 6:1 Pinnacle reel that I put together to throw spinners for smallies on the Tippecanoe River. I had my 9 y/o daughter with me, so we were fishing slip rigs with 5" roach minnows. We anchored upstream from a nice little cut in the bank on an outside bend, letting our baits drift into the back of the eddy and BAM! I knew I had something big, so I backed off the drag and played her to the boat 3 times before she was tired out enough to gill her. We boated two more that day, both about 24" out of the same hole. One was my daughter's first pike and she played it like a pro. I was a nervous wreck, trying to coach her until she was able to bring the fish along side for me to net.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      58.3 KB · Views: 37
    • image.jpg
      image.jpg
      57.6 KB · Views: 37

Lunati

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Warsaw
    is the mono to keep the braid from digging into the spool

Yes. I run braided on all my baitcasters with the mono backing or it will dig into the spool. However if this is your first baitcaster just throw whatever you have on there and start practicing, chances are you'll be replacing it soon.

mdmayo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2013
    Madison County
    Lots of good info from a lot of guys here, so much is personal preference that you'll develop your own as you fish a baitcaster more.

I like Maxima, regardless of weight or gear. Second choice is Silver Thread, primarily for my spincasters though.

Baitcasters are part of the toolbox. Necessary for some tasks, ok at others, and worthless for a few. Different fish, lures, presentations, water and cover all call for different line weights.

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...I like Maxima, regardless of weight or gear...

This is what I use for the baitcasters. It's very forgiving on casts and hook sets.
    There might be a use for braid, but not for my present needs. Maybe in the BOB's? Maybe on the jiggerpoles? The last braids I priced were crazy expensive.
    My experience with braid is that it saws hard on the guides and your fingers.

Top Bottom