• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Woodsman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New albany
    I'm just tired of the frustration watching people try to copy my work and undercut my prices. I honestly don't see how some people can do this and still sleep at night.

I can certainly appreciate your comments and frustration. Having been through this several times with my business it is enough to make a grown man want to hit something. Some people just have no ethics. It's all about them and the money.

What I've been doing about this is this. When someone asks for free information... sorry, that's how I make a living. If you want to pay me for the work, fine. But I'm not going to explain how I do it or what you have to do. Hard nosed? Maybe, but I'd rather go hungry than tell someone how or what to do and still be hungry anyway.

That situation stinks, especially after you pour so much of yourself into it.

I hope things turn around for you.

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    Different light

63775668.jpg

He is also known for his top-notch refinishing jobs. Cory refinished my Glock 19 slide.

Here is one that I really like (this is Fenway's DDM4):

img0267r.jpg

Woo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    New Castle
    That sucks man. I personally don't know you but have seen your work and heard everyone rave at the work you do. I was hoping to get my shotgun refinished this summer. I, as everyone else has done, wish you the best.

MoparMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Cory,
    Thats too bad. I still have some work for you, but still havent found the time to meet up. Hopefully you've received some business from Camp Atterbury (military). I've showed your site and work to a bunch of people. Will you still be doing it on the side?

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    It is frustrating to have this happen. I cannot tell you the number of times, weekly, I have people ask me to teach them how to do what I do so that they do not have to pay me. Then they will back that up with a request to borrow my tools. And they never get why I am so offended...

And I have "students" who are now "competition" too. It is what it is. Not to be dramatic, but I take solace in the balance that will come for each and everyone of us some day. But that only salves the sting.

And closing a dream really hurts too. It is easy to say most small ventures fail, but it is another thing to go through it first hand.

The wisest thing is to know when to fold and retool for another day.

Best wishes and hopefully you can keep some side work to help pay a few bills here and there.

Gungho_1989

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    SE IDPLS
    Corey I hate to hear that, I have been through it as well even in my business, the problem is when you do something right folks want a piece of your success, envy, greed pr whatever the reasons it still sucks.
    I hope you decide to stay around and that we can on the future do some things together. As we ramp up we hope to be able to send work to good and decent people. Regardless keep in touch and I hope you and your family have a great Christmas.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I appreciate the support guys, I really do. It's reassuring to know that I'm not being unreasonable about feeling some ownership to what I do.

I hope you all have a wonderful Christmas and a safe and happy New Year.

photoshooter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 6, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Corey,

I'm in a similar position with my wedding photo biz. Too many other folks (younger, and the other gender that the brides connect with easier) have invaded the field.

Rather than totally close my biz, I'm shifting it to basement status, and closing every single thing that costs me monthly money... dropping credit card processing - going to paypal only.

I have found a good spot to park my website, and I'm in the middle of moving it over there, for only $99/year. That I can afford as my only major biz expense.

This way, I can keep going with the odd handful of clients I get from past referrals while I look for other opportunities.

Good luck!

dubsac

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Im sorry to hear this Cory. I was super impressed with the work you have done on my XD and was waiting till after the holidays to get it refinished. I sure hope you will be accepting some orders at the 1500 in January cause Id sure like to get this XD cerakoted.

INMIline

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 17, 2009
    Indiana/Michigan line
    Will you still take side jobs here and there? Though I don't understand why anyone would go to the next guy, you get what you pay for and there is no such thing as a good deal when it comes to (quality) work on an item as important as a personal protection firearm.

What you did with that mod's G19 was art. I want really bad to have mine done but having been laid off for 6 months has forced me to have to wait. Buddy can you atleast accept work until after tax season is over? I'm good for two when my return comes in.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I should be just inside the front door. If you're standing at the table facing the officer's who are checking weapons I should be at your 8 o'clock. I'm looking a bit rough these days with a beard.

I just renewed my FFL and I don't plan to turn it in before it expires so I will have the ability to do work until it expires in June of 2012. I also just renewed my domain name last month so I've got that for another year as well. This will probably be my last 1500 and I will likely let things fizzle out when they expire so I'll still be able to complete work for awhile yet. I won't be purchasing any more supplies (DuraCoat, Norrell's or Cerakote) however, I'll use up what I have left. Just can't justify it the way things are headed.

Thanks again for the kind words.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom