Life saving First Aid in a mass casualty situation.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Yeah but it is $4.99 on every order so if you get other things at the same time it is much cheaper.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    No problem LH. I get 10% off coupon codes e mailed all the time and when you order a few items the $4.99 is pretty reasonable.

Right now I am pretty well stocked, so I won't be ordering any time soon. I have never used any of what I have and although prepared I hope to use it as much as my gun.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    No problem LH. I get 10% off coupon codes e mailed all the time and when you order a few items the $4.99 is pretty reasonable.

Right now I am pretty well stocked, so I won't be ordering any time soon. I have never used any of what I have and although prepared I hope to use it as much as my gun.

You mean never used it for real on a victim or never opened the package of your israeli bandage?

You should practice with it to get familiar with it.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

As our French friend mentioned, if you haven't opened an IBD and practiced with it, you should. It's not rocket surgery, but you don't want to try to learn how to do it on yourself with one hand when you are bleeding profusely. Applying to arms and legs is relatively straightforward, but applying to a head wound takes some instruction and practice. The good thing is, once you open one, you can practice with it over and over.

I wish I could say I had never used any of my gear. I have not used a tourniquet "for realz," but we all know I've used IBDs. One very important lesson I learned about IBDs in addition to knowing how to use them is to HAVE IT WITH YOU ALL THE TIME. No, in your vehicle isn't good enough, which I learned the hard way. I always have one on my person.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    As our French friend mentioned, if you haven't opened an IBD and practiced with it, you should. It's not rocket surgery, but you don't want to try to learn how to do it on yourself with one hand when you are bleeding profusely. Applying to arms and legs is relatively straightforward, but applying to a head wound takes some instruction and practice. The good thing is, once you open one, you can practice with it over and over.

I wish I could say I had never used any of my gear. I have not used a tourniquet "for realz," but we all know I've used IBDs. One very important lesson I learned about IBDs in addition to knowing how to use them is to HAVE IT WITH YOU ALL THE TIME. No, in your vehicle isn't good enough, which I learned the hard way. I always have one on my person.

I thought the lesson learned was to not play with knives. :)

I tried including a 4" IBD to my ankle trauma kit but it's too bulky.
    I know some companies now make flat compact version like NAR or H&H with their mini compression bandage.
    It's like the IBD but without the plastic thingy ...

61Op8MHHp2L._SX425_.jpg

Also once you open your IBD it's still wrapped in a second plastic wrap, so you might want to already remove the outer pack first before storing it in your first aid kit.

In my car med bag I keep one already open in a ziplock bag, with a tourniquet, gloves, ABD pad (or American dressing as we call it here) and some rolls of gauze.
    It's not sterile anymore but it's faster to rip apart the ziplock bag than it is to open the two vacuum wrappers of the IBD.
    Especially with bloody hands and/or under stress when you don't have fine motor skills.
    You won't have sterile hands/gloves, anyway so clean is enough for first aid.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

I know some companies now make flat compact version like NAR or H&H with their mini compression bandage.

61Op8MHHp2L._SX425_.jpg

Also once you open your IBD it's still wrapped in a second plastic wrap, so you might want to already remove the outer pack first before storing it in your first aid kit.

In my car med bag I keep one already open in a ziplock bag, with a tourniquet, gloves, ABD pad (or American dressing as we call it here) and some rolls of gauze.
    It's not sterile anymore but it's faster to rip apart the ziplock bag than it is to open the two vacuum wrappers of the IBD.
    Especially with bloody hands and/or under stress when you don't have fine motor skills.

Why, you!!! I oughtta . . .

I just carry my IBD in a cargo pocket on my shorts.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I do not have cargo pockets on my shorts, I wear Hanes tihgty whities, what do you wear.

To our frog and snail eating friend I say I have never used my guns either. Practiced a lot, but never had the need to use it.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    [video=youtube;r50-lWDsmcI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r50-lWDsmcI[/video]

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield

61Op8MHHp2L._SX425_.jpg

Stop wearing skinny jeans. I sport the Ryker Ankle kit, and can put a 4” Izzy in it no problem. With baggier pants, a 6” Izzy will fit. I wear Kuhl Revolver pants 3-5 days a week, and while the ankles narrow some, the Ryker with a 4” Izzy conceals as well as my G26 in an Ankle glove opposite the Ruker?

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Stop wearing skinny jeans. I sport the Ryker Ankle kit, and can put a 4” Izzy in it no problem. With baggier pants, a 6” Izzy will fit. I wear Kuhl Revolver pants 3-5 days a week, and while the ankles narrow some, the Ryker with a 4” Izzy conceals as well as my G26 in an Ankle glove opposite the Ruker?

I don't wear skinny jeans! Usually BDU pants or regular jeans.Maybe I just need another holster with larger pockets. :dunno:

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I do not have cargo pockets on my shorts, I wear Hanes tihgty whities, what do you wear.

To our frog and snail eating friend I say I have never used my guns either. Practiced a lot, but never had the need to use it.

I actually never had those. :puke:

Well using your gear for practice or training is still using it I think, even if it's not "for real".

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Improvised chest seals.

[video=youtube;OBjREGhuHJg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBjREGhuHJg[/video]

I know that you can just subscribe to skinny medic, but I am hoping that keeping this thread at the top may help more folk to take an interest in being prepared to be a first responder.

Top Bottom