• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    You've described version 1.0. Are you so sure what version 2.0, or even 1.1, will contain?
    Seems that each version is 10's of millions of dollars and years to get on line and we just upgraded to this crappy system last year after 15yrs on the old one. The wheels turn SLOWLY.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Actually your radio could very well handle that kind of information across it. ;) I work with the system yours was developed from.
    Then how come when we switched to the new digital system the MDT/VRM system when to pot? Now I have about 20 sq miles that my VRM cannot receive a signal and sometimes it runs 10-20 mins behind when it does. It is always the same area and whoever drives into it loses all computer use. MECA says it's a county wide problem but they cannot figure out why it happens. MECA is too messed up to worry about a license plate database.

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    That is WAY beyond our capabilities. WAY WAY WAY beyond it.

No. It's not. It's just a relatively modest upgrade, using off-the-shelf capabilities, to the hardware as described.

We have a hard time updating our time off database and who's supposed to be working what beat on what day.
    About as relevant as updating the decision of whether you'll have chocolate ice-cream or strawberry for desert.

The "beauty" (and I mean that will all possible irony) of something like this is you don't have to "update" the system. It's handled automatically.

Maybe NSA is doing super secret squirrel stuff but not us local guys. I would worry about what the the Feds can already do via the Patriot Act rather than worry about the "what-ifs" in technology.

I'm actually more worried about what folk like the Dems in Congress and Obama claimed were permitted by the Patriot Act (which really weren't).

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Then how come when we switched to the new digital system the MDT/VRM system when to pot? Now I have about 20 sq miles that my VRM cannot receive a signal and sometimes it runs 10-20 mins behind when it does. It is always the same area and whoever drives into it loses all computer use. MECA says it's a county wide problem but they cannot figure out why it happens. MECA is too messed up to worry about a license plate database.

First what manufacturer is the supplier for your radio? Yes this does make a difference on the 800 band.

Second, without plugging into your Radio's and seeing how the are configured I can not answer that question fully.

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Seems that each version is 10's of millions of dollars and years to get on line and we just upgraded to this crappy system last year after 15yrs on the old one. The wheels turn SLOWLY.

"The mills of the Gods grind slowly, but exceedingly fine."

As for cost,

"A civilian National Security Force, just as strong, just as powerful, and just as well funded [as the US Military]."

10's of millions? Cite. And how much of that is specific to the system and how much is actually part of costs that are going to be spent anyway (like the computer keeping the database of license plate numbers of stolen cars etc.)?

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Our VRM's are Motorola 650's. We've used them for the last 9 yrs since we switched from using MDT's to laptops. They worked wonderfully until the digital switch last year, now the VRM's barely work. Our digital radios (Motorola XTS 5000) work well. Hardly a dead spot in the county. It is just frustrating that after 30-40 million dollars for the upgrade there could be such a huge hole that was left unfixed.

First what manufacturer is the supplier for your radio? Yes this does make a difference on the 800 band.

Second, without plugging into your Radio's and seeing how the are configured I can not answer that question fully.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    This is the radio upgrade that I was referring to from last year.
    http://www.indy.gov/eGov/County/MECA/Documents/mayjune2.pdf
    And actually MECA is a separate government entity. We have little say in how the communications is ran. MECA controls all the radio/laptop equipment. We have little say in what equipment is used or how it is to be used.

"The mills of the Gods grind slowly, but exceedingly fine."

As for cost,

"A civilian National Security Force, just as strong, just as powerful, and just as well funded [as the US Military]."

10's of millions? Cite. And how much of that is specific to the system and how much is actually part of costs that are going to be spent anyway (like the computer keeping the database of license plate numbers of stolen cars etc.)?

mudwater

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Wells County
    The information age

Well I see this as happening "because we finally can do it". We all have to face the fact that we live in the information age.
    Do you know that for years now cell phone must be GPS capable? Most of them are pre-set that the GPS will not activate unless the phone calls 911. This solved a major problem with locating 911 calls from cell phones. Now the emergency response can be quicker.

How about the fact that your computer on the internet now has a specific MAC # associated with the networking components that get you on the internet. Depending on your service, you may also have a unique IP address. This keeps everything organized and tracible. This helps you ISP solve problems and make sure you are a valid user.

Your computer also can have cookies that help you log on to web sites and sets up the sites for your preferences. When you logged onto this site, did you check remember me? If you did you do not have to login again. This is done with a cookie (most likely). The web site knows your back again.

Cars with GPS theft tracking systems. Airbags with data collectors for collision info. VIN number tracking for car fax. Notice how your insurance company knows when you get a ticket?

The computer at the grocery store prints out coupons based on your purchases. Every Debit/credit card has a uniqe number associated with your name. The bank web site shows almost instantly now that your debit card is used.

Most counties in Indiana (if not all) have property tax info availible over the internet to anyone anywhere on the net. This has always been public info but now it does not take a trip to the courthouse.

Instant credit checks on the internet. You can get it with the right info and creditors can check it. How many credit cards you have, car loans, home mortgages, store cards, etc. Also with money balances and if you are paying on time.

Well so we are not as invisible as we think we are anyway. Most of the information has been out there but now we can get it faster and track more details.

These license readers are doing what would be a tediuos job for a police officer. Also It can do it quicker and without sleep.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Why don't we just save the billions of $ and time waisted on this incrementalism and plant chips in all of us?

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Our VRM's are Motorola 650's. We've used them for the last 9 yrs since we switched from using MDT's to laptops. They worked wonderfully until the digital switch last year, now the VRM's barely work. Our digital radios (Motorola XTS 5000) work well. Hardly a dead spot in the county. It is just frustrating that after 30-40 million dollars for the upgrade there could be such a huge hole that was left unfixed.

Denny with that set up and the issues that you have described some one does not now how to properly link and program your equipment. Sorry you have to deal with that.

matthock

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2009
    Bloomington
    <tinfoil> The problem with the link isn't that it works badly. It's actually working wonderfully. It's just too busy using up all the bandwidth sending data from the GPS they didn't tell you they installed, so there's no bandwidth left for the stated purpose of the system. </tinfoil>

:D

Culpepper

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    Indiana
    If you are that concerned about Big Bother, then why are you on the internet and posting on a public forum?

I am sure you pay bills in your name, have cell phones, use a bank and most use credit cards, but you are concerned about your plate being randomly run.

People that don't want to be found don't leave bread crumbs around the world, they live in one room shacks on mountains and use coffee cans as toilets.

matthock

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2009
    Bloomington
    Perhaps I should have used <humor> </humor> tags instead of <tinfoil> - I was trying to relay that with the :D, but I guess it didn't come across.

It should be noted that I'm not actually that paranoid a person, I just find conspiracy theories to be a kind of fiction that I enjoy reading and, on occasion, writing :)

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    If you are that concerned about Big Bother, then why are you on the internet and posting on a public forum?

I am sure you pay bills in your name, have cell phones, use a bank and most use credit cards, but you are concerned about your plate being randomly run.

People that don't want to be found don't leave bread crumbs around the world, they live in one room shacks on mountains and use coffee cans as toilets.

Right next to the "if you have nothing to hide" fallacy is the "we already have x so why complain about y" fallacy.

I chose when and where I go on the Internet.

I choose what credit cards I will use for what transaction.

I choose what transactions are done at what bank.

In the end, it should be my choice as to what should be private and what should be public.

If I choose to invite somebody into my house, that is no excuse for someone else deciding to come in uninvited.

If I choose to put a political sign in my front yard, that's no excuse for somebody checking out my bookshelf for its contents.

However, interesting that you should cite things like Internet, Bill payment, and use of cell phones.

Internet--somebody could see that someone going by the name "dburkhead" who claims to be "David L. Burkhead" in the sig makes certain posts. Of course on the internet anybody can claim to be anything.

Bill payment. Last time I checked, my bills are not public records and a warrant is required for that information to be turned over to law enforcment.

Credit card and bank records (which may be used for said bill payments) ditto.

Cell phones. Again, warrant required unless I'm making an overseas call to a foreign party suspected of being a terrorist--same as regular phones.

Anybody tracking my activities through any of them either has PC for a warrant (except as noted) or is already violating the law and abusing their power. If we have cause to worry about abuse of power in those cases, does that not make the case that we have cause to worry about abuse of power in new "investigative tools"

Top Bottom