• GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    It is not, GFGT seems to be saying the company should, for the sake of their reputation and customers expectations require the constitutional procedure not give it up voluntarily…
    I believe there is an issue about maintaining a check on the state. The state should be required to go through due process to do their job. It keeps us all safe.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2017
    Southern Indiana
    I recall Apple refusing to provide the FBI the access code to a Cali terrorist mass shooter's i-phone several years ago. FBI "said" they couldn't open it but did get it open years later.
    Apple said it would destroy their customers' confidence in the security of their phones if they gave up the code, even for a dead terrorist's phone.
    I guess Apple had more to lose than Liberty.
    Not exactly. There is no 'master code' for Apple phones. The case hinged on compelling Apple to *actively assist in breaking their own encryption*, quite a different matter than turning over codes. Apple complies with court orders to provide information that exists, such as the contents of an icloud account.
    Is that the same case the NSA declined to help, didn't want to reveal they could open it?

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    To me, that’s not the point. Of course they can just cut it open from the side. I think the issue in question, is why they gave the code to get in, when they were under no legal obligation to. The warrant was for searching the owners property, there was no court order given to the manufacturer to give up the code.
    Certainly contradicts their statement about being devoted to the protection of personal property and 2nd amendment rights of their customers.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Is it constitutional for a private company/individual, who no longer has any material interest in a piece of property to hand over sensitive information to a government agent without the current owner's permission?
    The Constitution applies to public entities and not private businesses. The private business can do what they want with their information.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    It is not, GFGT seems to be saying the company should, for the sake of their reputation and customers expectations require the constitutional procedure not give it up voluntarily…
    They likely determined that this was easier for them and quite likely make little difference to their bottom line.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    They likely determined that this was easier for them and quite likely make little difference to their bottom line.
    Just more stupidity from businesses not knowing their customer base. And the history of business settling has cost consumers trillions, not to mention rights…

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I do not have a safe, as mine fell out of the boat when I moved from Texas.

IF I did have one. the combination would have been changed as soon as it was brought home.

I am pretty sure the software in the electronic units all have a back door code that allows installing an alternate number, so you can get in with whatever code you just put in.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I do not have a safe, as mine fell out of the boat when I moved from Texas.

IF I did have one. the combination would have been changed as soon as it was brought home.

I am pretty sure the software in the electronic units all have a back door code that allows installing an alternate number, so you can get in with whatever code you just put in.
    I bet there is a double secret electronic code (not consumer accessible) that is in the software…

Reactions: Leo

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

"Absent a court order, you weren't required to give them anything. You voluntarily gave out a combination over a warrant, per your own release, that didn't apply to you or your property," wrote Sean Davis, CEO of the Federalist. "Maybe start marketing your stuff as Bud Light storage."

Last edited:

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    We know the "image" they were trying to convey... "Liberty"... it's like, right there in the name and everything.

7ae686ae-bc3c-4ea9-b459-02f3e63d707e_text.gif

Top Bottom