• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I'm looking at sending my Wilson Combat 1911 off to Wilson to have some night sights put on and the firearm Armor-Tuff'd. I looked into shipping it myself and it's quite expensive so I'm looking at possibly having a local gun shop send it for me.

I understand there will be paperwork and it's more of a hassle than doing it myself. I called Indy Trading Post and spoke with Matt and he informed me they no longer do this essentially due to unrealistic expectations and stupidity on the part of those they've done it for before.

I'm just wondering it anybody knows of a gun shop that will send it off for me? I've no issues paying for the shipping and the transfers as they would still be less than shipping it myself.

That said, are there any reasons I should spend the extra money to just send it myself? I really wish I could send it via certified mail but that's a no-go for a non-FFL.

I do have a FedEx account but it's still going to cost me $125-150 or so to send it via FedEx with it insured for its full value.

Honestly at this point I'm evaluating my options and appreciate any advice.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I sent a rifle back to Remington via UPS without any hassle. I know handguns are different but $125 seems pretty high to me.

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    See if Wilson will send you a call ticket if you pay them for it. That will reduce your cost since Wilson pays only $20 or so for FedEx overnight.

I don't do shipments any more. As the other LGS said, customer expectations are high and it takes an hour of time to do it right through USPS, so it costs $25 and customers don't want to pay that.

RspecZX6

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2012
    Shelbyville, IN
    I suggest 812Guns in Columbus.

Chris Imel is the owner and he has always been great to deal with. The number is 812-343-3373

He is my preferred FFL.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I sent a rifle back to Remington via UPS without any hassle. I know handguns are different but $125 seems pretty high to me.
    Handguns must be shipped overnight per UPS policy. Have you checked what overnight UPS costs a normal "off-the-street" customer? His $125 figure it about spot on.

FFL's may ship handguns through USPS which means shipping cost less than $20 (not including insurance).

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Handguns must be shipped overnight per UPS policy. Have you checked what overnight UPS costs a normal "off-the-street" customer? His $125 figure it about spot on.

FFL's may ship handguns through USPS which means shipping cost less than $20 (not including insurance).

No, I have not checked b/c I sent a rifle. The only handgun I ever returned was a Colt Magnum Carry and they issued a shipping ticket for it. ;)

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    No, I have not checked b/c I sent a rifle. The only handgun I ever returned was a Colt Magnum Carry and they issued a shipping ticket for it. ;)
    Since I'm having a few hundred dollars worth of work done, I emailed Scott @ Wilson Combat and asked if they would be willing to send me a label. I did say I would pay for the label and do understand it would be them doing me a favor.

They're pretty swamped, so much so that they took their 'order a custom gun' form offline temporarily. I'm not in a hurry, the turn-around should be 2 to 2.5 months (roughly).

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Hope it works out for you. I know having some things done takes quiet a bit of time and I'm always anxious until I get it back. Good luck.... :yesway:

kwatters

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Central Indiana
    I don't think there is any requirement to have special handling. Beretta had a recall of my Neos and just sent me a box, I put the handgun in it and FedEx picked it up. Month later they shipped it back to me direct.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Just shipped a rifle out of Bloomington UPS hub for 31.00 and some change. I don't understand the 125 cost

1. It's a handgun.
    2. It has to be shipped overnight according to FedEx and UPS Policy.
    3. It's valued at $2800.
    I wish it didn't cost so much, but call FedEx or USP and ask them how much it will cost to ship a $2800 handgun that is fully insured.

Then ask them how much it would be to not be insured, and think about whether you'd be willing to save $50 to potentially lose $2800.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    find yourself a local FFL. My local FFL only charges me the exact shipping through USPS .
    That's exactly what I was looking for :).

I'll PM a couple of people I know here and see if they can help me out. I don't even mind paying some cash extra for the trouble as it would still be substantially less than shipping it myself.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    Try Beech Grove or Indy Trading Post. They seem to have good customer service so they might help you out. I thought Wilson was going to send you a shipping label.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Try ... Indy Trading Post.
    I called Indy Trading Post and spoke with Matt and he informed me they no longer do this essentially due to unrealistic expectations and stupidity on the part of those they've done it for before.

I thought Wilson was going to send you a shipping label.
    I emailed Scott @ Wilson and asked if he could, but haven't heard back yet. In the event they won't, I would like to have an alternative lined up.

Haven't asked BGF yet, but have never been there (yet). Was thinking about getting a threaded barrel from there, so I may get that and ask them if they'd ship the firearm for me so I can have Wilson fit the new barrel while I have it out.

jy951

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Feb 18, 2009
    Can you just send the slide to get the sights put on and have the finish done locally?

If you ship Fedex, you must use "Priority" overnite not just the standard. And it does end up costing about $100. My local ffl charges me $20 + actual USPS cost which I have no problem paying.

Top Bottom