• ...and so much more!
  • 1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    the rumor is (gunblast.com) that Marlin moved BACK INTO THEIR OLD FACTORY!!! Lever gun fans rejoice!! They're still owned by Remington/Freedom group, but the QC has already improved according to Mr. Quinn on gunblast.

to OP - I'd get a 38/357, 44 mag, or 30-30... or a .22 if you don't have one. ... or just get 'em all

I just called Cabella's in Hammond. They have 2 45-70 CB's in stock! I'll probably run over and look at one :-( The only thing I did not like about the gunblast review was he said the stock fit was not good (I could see it in the vid but it looked better then the last few I saw). He also said the it was imposable to fine one in a commercial build that was good. Epic fail there. Both my Both my Henry's fit perfect. But Henry doesn't offer a 26'' barrel :-( I can live with the stock if the rest is good.

I thought the price on the CB's were good. I gotta look at one now! It thought I wanted a GG but that has changed now. Grrrr

indygunguy

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    110   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    NE Side of Indy
    I used to really like my (pre-Remington) Marlin levers. Until I got a Henry. I wont go back to Marlin now, man I LOVE my Henry!

If you are considering a buying a levergun, do yourself a favor and find someone with a Henry you can handle/shoot before you make your decision.

As far as caliber goes, I like a levergun in the same caliber as my revolver.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I used to really like my (pre-Remington) Marlin levers. Until I got a Henry. I wont go back to Marlin now, man I LOVE my Henry!

If you are considering a buying a levergun, do yourself a favor and find someone with a Henry you can handle/shoot before you make your decision.

As far as caliber goes, I like a levergun in the same caliber as my revolver.

FWIW, If someone wants to handle a Henry I am always up for range time. I am near South Bend. I have the 45-70 and the 44mag. The 44 has Skinner sights. The 45-70 has stock sights at the moment.

darend505

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Muncie, IN
    I have 2 lever guns currently, a 1906 Winchester 1894 in .30-30, and a 1960s Ted Willams Model 100 in .30-30, made by Winchester for Sears. Love both of them!

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99%
    95   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    I have a Rossi M92 in .44 mag. Had the barrel cut down by AllenM. Now I got an 18" carbine with the heavy octagon barrel. Love it.

Don't forget, you'll need a mare's leg too. Levers ain't just for rifles...

Mine is a take down, so it wasn't exactly "affordable". Does fit in my briefcase.

Couldn't find an old Marlin 336 in 30-30, so I got a new one last year. Action is kinda notchy. Have to get it smoothed out. I want a guide gun, but I'm waiting for the quality (and money) to return.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I have a Rossi M92 in .44 mag. Had the barrel cut down by AllenM. Now I got an 18" carbine with the heavy octagon barrel. Love it.

Don't forget, you'll need a mare's leg too. Levers ain't just for rifles...

Mine is a take down, so it wasn't exactly "affordable". Does fit in my briefcase.

Couldn't find an old Marlin 336 in 30-30, so I got a new one last year. Action is kinda notchy. Have to get it smoothed out. I want a guide gun, but I'm waiting for the quality (and money) to return.

That take down is bad azz. How does that separate? I'd love to see more pic's. Maybe another thread?

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Henry's have a place in the market. They make a product that is priced well. They function well.

That said I will run my marlin's next to a Henry a At any range time you want to shoot one. I am not putting down the Henry in any way here (plastic parts zinc alloy frames ECT) all things have trade offs. Just talking about the feel of a man size rifle and the amount of 10 rings shots on target. All my marlins are also older models so take the remlins out. They are not marlins.

Marlin's in General were a working mans gun except the model 39a which was a superior lever gun made to last lifetimes.

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    I like the Marlin pistol calibers, either a 38 / 357 or the 44 spl / 44 mag. Since 38 is so cheap and plentiful, and 357 is a good flat shooting round I would have to go with the 38 / 357 for cost, and ammo availability. You can shoot the cheaper 38 spl where the 44 spl is not as popular or near as cheap. Another factor would be if you already had a handgun in one of these calibers you may prefer to have the rifle in that caliber and share ammo. Either will be deer hunting legal if using the 357 or 44 mag rounds. The only question now is blue or stainless. I have the 44 Marlin lever, and although I will keep it I would prefer the 357 in stainless myself. They are great rifles and extremely accurate. They also don't require you to keep the lever squeezed to allow the trigger to be pulled. That has never been a big problem, but I just don't like extra safety's.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Well, my first lever gun was the first modern gun I bought...a Win 94 in .30-30. But that was many moons ago.

Today if I wanted a budget gun I'd just keep shopping the gun stores and shows till I found something that sang to my soul. Kind of like how I bought my first one...

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    I already got it, a trio of .357's.
    ODAwLDYwMCxBQUFBQUNBRFdBSTEtNA2

Looks like my setup. I have a Rossi 16" barrel with the big John Wayne/Rifleman loop. Got 2", 3", 4", 6", and 7-1/2" (Blackhawk) revolvers to go with. I like my .38/.357's, no let me rephrase, I loves them. :) My son and I cast and reload for them, we can shoot them cheaper than 22lr, even before the panic.

I have my dad's 45 Colt lever action Rossi as well, my son loves shooting it. Long barrel so we hand load real thumpers for it since the handgun combo is a Ruger Blackhawk. That one is now his, dad would be happy with that. If I got another, I would want a 16" barrel 454 Casul since they shoot regular 45's as well and find me a nice Redhawk to go with. Then cast and load some really badazz thumpers.

DCM

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2013
    Granger
    The whole point, in the old West anyway, to having a lever action carbine in a pistol caliber, was to have the same caliber as your handgun. So, If you have a revolver, that's the same caliber that I would get in a levergun. I love my Marlin 1894 in .357

Dyerbill

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    NWIndiana
    As a little boy I dreamed of cowboy guns....now I have them.:cool: And 2 S&W j-frames in 38 spec and a k-frame in 357 mag....so I can buy in bulk for ammo.picasabackground-093.jpg

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    Henry's have a place in the market. They make a product that is priced well. They function well.

That said I will run my marlin's next to a Henry a At any range time you want to shoot one. I am not putting down the Henry in any way here (plastic parts zinc alloy frames ECT) all things have trade offs. Just talking about the feel of a man size rifle and the amount of 10 rings shots on target. All my marlins are also older models so take the remlins out. They are not marlins.

Marlin's in General were a working mans gun except the model 39a which was a superior lever gun made to last lifetimes.

The Henry centerfire guns most of the folks here are mentioning have neither zinc alloy frames nor " plastic parts" but are very substantial guns built to a high standard and cost as much or more than any Marlin made today. There is quite a difference between the rimfire and centerfire .

Henry did lose the plastic sights on their base grade 22s in favor of metal some years back.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom