• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rjthebassman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2014
    5 miles from nowhere
    Hmmm what is exactly is affordable? Wouldn't mind having a Henry Big Boy in .44 mag. Then again that was probably there intentions with that beauty of a magazine they sent me. Darn advertising...

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    That's a tough call. Usually use to say 22lr for a plinking. Price and availability have changed that. I have a 44 mag and a 45-70. Not economical. If I was going to get another caliber I'd go with 357. 357/38 is plentiful most of the time.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Hmmm what is exactly is affordable? Wouldn't mind having a Henry Big Boy in .44 mag. Then again that was probably there intentions with that beauty of a magazine they sent me. Darn advertising...

It's a SWEET GUN!!!!

My baby....

I know, I know. I suck!! :laugh:

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    An affordable lever action for what purpose? Just history and shooting? Maybe a 45LC or 30/30. If you want to hunt with it or shoot something more affordable then go with .357. I've heard decent word about Rossi levers, haven't shot one though. Marlin is a good brand for an affordable price too.

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Deadman's Hollow
    Affordable is a relative term. Marlins have served me well, love the 44 mag, dual purpose hunting and defense. The Henry rifles are nice as well, you'll pay high for an allowed pistol cartridge lever for Indiana hunting. Puma rifles are ok, I'm just partial to Marlin. I'm eyeing Marlin 1895 45-70 myself.

Ford Truck

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Franklin Twp., DeKalb County, Ind.
    I already got it, a trio of .357's.
    ODAwLDYwMCxBQUFBQUNBRFdBSTEtNA2

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Affordable is a relative term. Marlins have served me well, love the 44 mag, dual purpose hunting and defense. The Henry rifles are nice as well, you'll pay high for an allowed pistol cartridge lever for Indiana hunting. Puma rifles are ok, I'm just partial to Marlin. I'm eyeing Marlin 1895 45-70 myself.

I hope Marlin's quality has improved since I was 45-70 shopping. I wanted a Marlin really bad after shooting my buddies. I handle 5 Marlins. All had heavy triggers and gritty action. I know that could be smoothed out but the stock to receiver fit was poor. Looked like it was fitted with a pocket knife an sand paper :-( Two had canted sights. I handled 2 Henry's and they felt the same and both looked great. I am totally happy with them. I still want a Guide Gun though. I haven't looked lately to see if the quality is back up. I'll eventually get one. A Older JM stamped if nothing else.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Cheap lever:
    Henry h001 do some upgrades like remove the plastic pieces upgrade out of them to a golden boy ECT. I do not like plastic on a lever gun but the Henry is in the correct price range for cheap when it come to quality per dollar new right now. I like them but I was lucky to be old and got stuff while it was still avaiable and good. If I were buying new now in lever 22's I would go with one of these offerings.

If 500 is cheap enough then you are into the area of a marlin 39a. Shop around and find one that is pre 39as with no safety and all will be well in your world. They were the rim fire equivalent of a quilty pickup truck. Built to last. Accurate and man sized. These rifles that are pre safety (well half cock safety and that safety between your ears) take some time to get familiar with. Some fail to understand they require a manual of arms much different that a 10-22. The hammer can go from half cock to full cock when snagged on brush and a lever stroke means it is ready to fire. I grew up with non safety switch levers so it is something I am well aware of but when I have let others handle them I have seen why in today's world they make them with safeties in plAce. It seems most people need a safety lever. This goes for all marlin and Winchester pre safety models. Spend some time getting to understand them.

the Rossi/brasiltech levers are ok but were better in the past and for a while were worse in the past than they are now. Sounds weird but for a few years around 2005-2007 I ran into a few that were less than adequate in function. Stiff and rough with some flaws but nothing a 150 dollars and a lever smith could not sort out. It is a Winchester 92 so forget scoping with regular scope. The 92 action is smooth and really beefy so you can run stout (never over what the manual says) reloads in them. The 454 cas Rossi 92 might be pushing the envelope a bit I would stick with only moderate reloads on it. That said I have not got any cup testing equipment so take that as just an internet precaution.

Other than those 3 rifles I would only look at a good deal on a 30-30 marlin 336 or win 94 would be the only other cheap gun. The 30-30 is overlooked here in Indiana because it is not deer legal. Would make a nice cowboy assault rifle if you are into that stuff. These you might as well buy off the internet as they are many of them in the world just not that many in Indiana.

Savage99

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2014
    Peru
    I am a bit biased but I like Savage 99s for hunting rifle as you can use pointed bullets in them. They aren't the cheapest out there, but are well built and are very nice to carry. I like .300 Savage or .243 for deer. Just my two cents.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I have a winchester 94 30-30, a Henry .22(not golden), and a rossi 92 in .38/357

The rossi is my plinker right now(got in to reloading .357/.38 to feed it cheaply)...but man in the Henry smooth. I just can't feed it with ammo right now...so I plink with Rossi. I've done research on sprucing rossi up. I paid 385 for it. Short carbine model and they have a following and upgrade parts for them. I like it for the money...fun to shoot. I plan on a Win 73 clone of some sort in the future...but I'm a history guy so will probably go .45 LC.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    They would make a nice pair. Shooting .38SPL will reduce the cost. One can have a great time at the range or in the woods. Cost is reasonable if you watch for sales. Just make sure you get a JM stamped Marlin. The Remlin (Remington-made Marlin) quality and customer service are still unreliable.

Marlin 1894c in .357
    attachment.php

Uberti Cattleman in .357
    attachment.php

bikeman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    Bloomington
    An older Marlin or Winchester in30-30 would be the way I would go. If you find one with the birch stock they are usually affordable. If you ever get to Michigan or Kentucky you can possibility find one for $250 - $300.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Marlin 44 mag if you don't reload. Fun shooting, good hunting in it's range. Get the 45lc if you do reload.:)

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    I hope Marlin's quality has improved since I was 45-70 shopping. I wanted a Marlin really bad after shooting my buddies. I handle 5 Marlins. All had heavy triggers and gritty action. I know that could be smoothed out but the stock to receiver fit was poor. Looked like it was fitted with a pocket knife an sand paper :-( Two had canted sights. I handled 2 Henry's and they felt the same and both looked great. I am totally happy with them. I still want a Guide Gun though. I haven't looked lately to see if the quality is back up. I'll eventually get one. A Older JM stamped if nothing else.

the rumor is (gunblast.com) that Marlin moved BACK INTO THEIR OLD FACTORY!!! Lever gun fans rejoice!! They're still owned by Remington/Freedom group, but the QC has already improved according to Mr. Quinn on gunblast.

to OP - I'd get a 38/357, 44 mag, or 30-30... or a .22 if you don't have one. ... or just get 'em all

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I'd get a Winchester 94 in 30-30 or .44mag. Probably a .44mag since i can shoot that for dirt cheap. Already have both but you cant have too many 94s

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    the rumor is (gunblast.com) that Marlin moved BACK INTO THEIR OLD FACTORY!!! Lever gun fans rejoice!! They're still owned by Remington/Freedom group, but the QC has already improved according to Mr. Quinn on gunblast.

to OP - I'd get a 38/357, 44 mag, or 30-30... or a .22 if you don't have one. ... or just get 'em all

That would rock. It's to good a name and a legionary rifle to let go down the drain! I really really wanted one when I bought the Henry. I am very happy with the Henry though. I will look at a new GG on my next LGS visit. It will be obvious if they have changed. I can see another lever gun in my future.

Top Bottom