• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I was down in the Seymour area today and stopped in the Bass gun shop. They had several Marlin 1894's. Stainless was around $750, blued was around $650. Seems a bit high to me but I don't know that much about rifle pricing.

I know Gander bought a large part of the run when I purchased my 1894 two years ago. I think it was much closer to $500 for the blued model.

Dockem

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    W Indyanner
    Marlin 1894

50 yd w/ Marlin 1894 44 Mag, 3-9x40 Nikon scope, WWB ammo.

50ydMarlin1894.jpg

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    I've gotta throw my hat in the ring. I have the Marlin 1894 Cowboy octagonal 357 Mag version and love the darn thing. I cast my own lead for it and have tuned a few loads. Unfortunately time doesn't permit alot of use and after reading this thread I may have to get busy with it again. Kind of got the itch going again!

1894Target800x600.jpg

358158fp_bullets640x480.jpg

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I just picked up Ranch Dog's molds for .432 sized 265 Grain boolits. Hopefully these will be happy with the oversized Marlin .44 Mag barrel and I can get some accuracy out of my 1894. I will have to cast some this winter.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    indyjoe:

Is that the gas checked version? if it is you will be pleasantly surprised. Got to get your alloy just right not to soft and not to hard. The gas checks keep the leading down to a minimum.

kalboy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jun 10, 2009
    S Indiana
    FWIW, the Marlins throw the brass in a neat pile to the right and slightly to the rear. Rossi over your head and all over the world . Nice to know if you're a reloader .Both usually run good but if ease of takedown means anything the Marlin is far simpler. It is interesting that the new Rossi Rio Grande is a Marlin 336 copy. Uberti makes some beautiful lever guns in revolver calibers. Their 1866 and 1873 Winchester copies aren't as strong or suited to hot loads as Marlin or Rossi but they are gorgeous to look at and fun to shoot. Very durable and reliable as well.

pricedo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Life Member NRA & GOA
    The Rossi Pumas are true reproductions of the legendary Winchester 1892, with the exception of the tang safety.

No tang safety on my Rossi M92 in .454 Casull....thank goodness !.....just the usual half cock in the hammer linkage.

Won't tolerate a secondary safety in a legacy lever gun after I missed a really big buck cause of that stupid cross bolt safety in my Marlin 336C in .35 Remington. I removed the cross bolt safety in the Marlin the very next day. The old fashion half cock safety and a older fashion thing called muzzle control are sufficient.

And thank goodness my Rossi doesn't have that gawd awful plastic HiVizz front sight (yuk!).......legacy iron sights front & back on mine.

Can't tell my dads real Winchester M92(.44-40) & my Rossi knockoff apart from an across the room distance seen from the side. The shiny action support risers make the modern Rossi quite conspicuous when viewed from the top. If it wasn't for those two support buttresses the shooter would be wearing the ejector slide to his grave the first time he touched off a full power .454 Casull cartridge.

Last edited:

H&SFarms

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    Southeastern Indiana
    I have a Henry .22 and it is a really good shooting gun. I have not scoped it and it is a very easy to shoot small groups with this gun. Henry is the way to go. Also a BIG plus is it is made in the USA. :patriot:

Cloverdaleman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2010
    Cloverdale,Indiana
    As I'm a southpaw, I tend to be partial to LAs and pumps. When I was younger they were about the only really practical option available in a CF if you wanted a repeater, especially if you did any serious hunting.

I still own several LA rifles and carbines, including two Rossi M92's. I'd add another recommendation to strongly consider a .357 model for the uses you stated. Both of mine (a standard carbine with 20" bbl and a "Trapper" with 16" bbl) are in that caliber and they've proven to be 100% functionally reliable, extremely versatile and capable of delivering a high order of accuracy with a number of factory and hand loads.

I also own some Marlins and wouldn't part with a couple of them except under the most extreme circumstances. My old 336 in .35 Remington has fed and entertained me for almost 40 years now and my 39M .22 RF nearly as long. The single reason that an 1894c isn't in there too is that its Microgroove rifling didn't like cast bullets unless they were made of very 'hard' alloy and wore a gas check. As my other .357's worked just dandy with my established general purpose handload, I passed it on.

IMO, having a handy carbine and a good revolver chambered for the same ammo is still about the most cost-effective combo one can have in terms of sheer utility. Also just MO, but I think that the .357 offers the widest spectrum of ammo options and will cover more bases effectively at less cost for most folks than any other CF cartidge family.

This is what the old timers did ,same caliber. You can use it in rifle or
    handgun. Worked great than works great now.
    I want to go back to the 9th post,I thought you are suppose to hit the "X". Just joking, good group.
    I have the Marlins I think you will like them. My two cents.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom