• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    whats that run? i know of nothing from browning thats cheap like the 10/22 or 99.9% other .22lr rifles

They're salty! North of $500 new.

Used ones retain value VERY well. I've seen very good condition used ones with a $400 price tag on 'em.

-J-

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    What price range are you looking at to spend. Sometimes since i love lever actions I see a good one for sale. Maybe I got one of them already.

Thridy-thridy or turdy-turdy marlins in this state I can normally find for under 300 for a shooter. Ammo is cheap and it is basically a ak round ballistically. The pistol cartridge rifles cost much more since the PCR are deer legal. On this site someone had a 30-30 from 1952 that looked great but no scope as it should not have been drilled and tapped yet for a scope if it was a 1952 model.

If you are looking at marlins or most lever actions you might want a new one with the crossbolt safety and stick with the croosbolt safety. I started out on a non crossbolt safety and sometimes I forget to click the safety off and click no bang. it happens if you own a mix of safety and non safety rifles. Or go the other way and get all non safety versions or mix.

I will keep an eye out for ya,

kboom524

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    New Haven
    Henry Repeating Arms Rifles
    if you're only target shooting this would be great its made in the good ol US of A and is CHEAP and takes .22 short long and LR so ammo is going to be easy to get almost no matter what

Had a chance to shoot one of these a couple of months ago, belonged to a friend of my son. It was one of the smoothest lever action I have ever handled. The action was like butter. Rifle shot very well too, very accurate.

Ironsights

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Michigan City
    Had a chance to shoot one of these a couple of months ago, belonged to a friend of my son. It was one of the smoothest lever action I have ever handled. The action was like butter. Rifle shot very well too, very accurate.

A buddy of mine has one as well. Can't get him to come off it. Almost impossible to find one used, as once you get one, you'll never let go.
    Probably the funnest .22 I've shot in a long time.
    I remember seeing a new one recently for around $275-300. It's on my list for purchase.

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    As I'm a southpaw, I tend to be partial to LAs and pumps. When I was younger they were about the only really practical option available in a CF if you wanted a repeater, especially if you did any serious hunting.

I still own several LA rifles and carbines, including two Rossi M92's. I'd add another recommendation to strongly consider a .357 model for the uses you stated. Both of mine (a standard carbine with 20" bbl and a "Trapper" with 16" bbl) are in that caliber and they've proven to be 100% functionally reliable, extremely versatile and capable of delivering a high order of accuracy with a number of factory and hand loads.

I also own some Marlins and wouldn't part with a couple of them except under the most extreme circumstances. My old 336 in .35 Remington has fed and entertained me for almost 40 years now and my 39M .22 RF nearly as long. The single reason that an 1894c isn't in there too is that its Microgroove rifling didn't like cast bullets unless they were made of very 'hard' alloy and wore a gas check. As my other .357's worked just dandy with my established general purpose handload, I passed it on.

IMO, having a handy carbine and a good revolver chambered for the same ammo is still about the most cost-effective combo one can have in terms of sheer utility. Also just MO, but I think that the .357 offers the widest spectrum of ammo options and will cover more bases effectively at less cost for most folks than any other CF cartidge family.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    You guys made me do it...

bigbrother.jpg

Big brother. 336A will always be the baby,.. but this one's her big brother. He's always watching, you know... Marlin 1894 Cowboy II Limited. 24" octoganal barrel. .44 mag. Awesome walnut... Salty, but just what I've been wanting for the longest time. Lookout Bambi!

Didn't I see a Puma in the classifieds?

IMG_2544.jpg

Bout like this?

Last edited:

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    do40pg.jpg

Fond of them myself. Got 4 more not in the picture. I would start with a used Marlin 39A or 39M. A lot cheaper than new. .22 is cheap fun. Move up to the .357 or .44 mag, or .45/70, depending on where you go with it.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    RockyDog
    I'm even going to look at the new "marlin" style rifles they are coming out with.

The new Rossi Rio Grande 30-30 is actually a clone of the Winchester Model 1894. If they tried to clone the Marlin, there would be a court battle of epic proportions.

ultraspec

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 5, 2010
    I had a marlin 30-30 lever with a gold trigger on it I used to hunt as a teen, very smooth and wish i still had it.

Is marlin still making guns?

Larryjr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Portland, IN
    OP:

If you're not going to hunt with it... Any reason that you'd pick .44 over, say, a .357?

if you're a reloader, then the point is moot. But buying .38Spcl and .357Mag from Walmart is cheaper and easier than .44Spcl and .44Mag.

-J-

Somewhere in the back of my head I think there is a consideration of hunting again someday. You're definitely right - the ammo for 38's and .357 would be cheaper.

Larryjr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Portland, IN
    What price range are you looking at to spend. Sometimes since i love lever actions I see a good one for sale. Maybe I got one of them already.

Thridy-thridy or turdy-turdy marlins in this state I can normally find for under 300 for a shooter. Ammo is cheap and it is basically a ak round ballistically. The pistol cartridge rifles cost much more since the PCR are deer legal. On this site someone had a 30-30 from 1952 that looked great but no scope as it should not have been drilled and tapped yet for a scope if it was a 1952 model.

If you are looking at marlins or most lever actions you might want a new one with the crossbolt safety and stick with the croosbolt safety. I started out on a non crossbolt safety and sometimes I forget to click the safety off and click no bang. it happens if you own a mix of safety and non safety rifles. Or go the other way and get all non safety versions or mix.

I will keep an eye out for ya,

I was hoping to keep it around $400 or under but if I found something I really liked I'd probably give up to $550.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Fellas - things have changed. Rossi does not equal Puma and Puma does not equal Rossi in the current models. Current Puma's are made by Chiappa Firearms in Italy and imported by Legacy Sports. Rossi has their own leverguns which are made in Brazil and imported/owned by Taurus.

Larryjr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Portland, IN
    Fellas - things have changed. Rossi does not equal Puma and Puma does not equal Rossi in the current models. Current Puma's are made by Chiappa Firearms in Italy and imported by Legacy Sports. Rossi has their own leverguns which are made in Brazil and imported/owned by Taurus.

I was told by guy behind the counter at a sports store what you say above. I am not smart enough to understand what that means. I did some searching and I found something I really like on Rossi's site. It's a R92 carbine 20" barrel stainless. Is this a decent gun?

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Compare the action side by side to the industry leader/standard Marlin 1894. I personally prefer the 1894 and like the option of not having to scout-scope it (if need be). Rossi/Taurus warranty and customer service stinks on ice.

I have a Rossi single shot and have no problems with it. I have a lot more faith in Marlin for long term support.

Larryjr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Portland, IN
    Compare the action side by side to the industry leader/standard Marlin 1894. I personally prefer the 1894 and like the option of not having to scout-scope it (if need be). Rossi/Taurus warranty and customer service stinks on ice.

I have a Rossi single shot and have no problems with it. I have a lot more faith in Marlin for long term support.

Thanks.

Larryjr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Portland, IN
    I was down in the Seymour area today and stopped in the Bass gun shop. They had several Marlin 1894's. Stainless was around $750, blued was around $650. Seems a bit high to me but I don't know that much about rifle pricing.

Top Bottom