• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Larryjr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Portland, IN
    I handled a lever action .44 Puma today and liked it. I think I need something like this. I know nothing about the lever action rifles. Don't intend to use it for hunting use target practice and maybe a little varmint elimination if the situation presents itself. I don't think I want a scope.

What can you guys recommend?

rockydog

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Lake Wawasee Northern IN
    I had a Puma 44 mag. Rated a 9 on the coolness scale but only a 3 on the accuracy. I'm sure others results will very.

I did see Puma has a new lever action coming out with the side eject like a Marlin (makes it much nicer if you ever want to mount a scope).

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    Tough to beat the reliability and accuracy of the Marlin 1894's. They also have one of the smoothest actions out there, on par with original Winchester 92's.

Try to handle the different brands, shoot them if possible, and then decide which is best for you.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    The Rossi Pumas are true reproductions of the legendary Winchester 1892, with the exception of the tang safety. The Rossi M92 is superior to the Marlins in a few key areas:

• The Rossi M92 has a much stronger action than the Marlin 1894C... You will never see a Marlin 1894 chambered in 454 Casull or similarly powerful cartridge.
    • The Rossi M92 has a much slicker lever action than any Marlin or Henry Rifle.
    • The Rossi M92 can stabilize heavier .44 caliber bullets better than the 1894 Marlin. (1894 Marlin 1 in 38" twist rate compared to the Rossi M92's 1 in 20" twist rate.)

I own Rossi M92's chambered in .357 Magnum and .44 Magnum, and I find that both are exceedingly accurate.

My Rossi M92 .44 Magnum 50-yard accuracy is shown in the picture below. My point of aim was the "Hollywood" heart, and all 10 shots made one large hole. These shots were from a bench rest using a 2.5X scope, and shows just how accurate Pumas can be.

heartshots.jpg

My Pumas:
    oldnewsmall.jpg

rockydog

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Lake Wawasee Northern IN
    The Rossi Pumas are true reproductions of the legendary Winchester 1892, with the exception of the tang safety. The Rossi M92 is superior to the Marlins in a few key areas:

• The Rossi M92 has a much stronger action than the Marlin 1894C... You will never see a Marlin 1894 chambered in 454 Casull or similarly powerful cartridge.
    • The Rossi M92 has a much slicker lever action than any Marlin or Henry Rifle.
    • The Rossi M92 can stabilize heavier .44 caliber bullets better than the 1894 Marlin. (1894 Marlin 1 in 38" twist rate compared to the Rossi M92's 1 in 20" twist rate.)
    I own Rossi M92's chambered in .357 Magnum and .44 Magnum, and I find that both are exceedingly accurate.

My Rossi M92 .44 Magnum 50-yard accuracy is shown in the picture below. My point of aim was the "Hollywood" heart, and all 10 shots made one large hole. These shots were from a bench rest using a 2.5X scope, and shows just how accurate Pumas can be.

heartshots.jpg

My Pumas:
    oldnewsmall.jpg

Did any of the other 9 shots hit the target?

:):;):D

JK, good shooting gglass. The one I had was brand new, wouldn't hold 5 shots @ 50 yrds under 5" (all three shops locally had most of the ones they sold returned for repair or replacement) Puma told me they were having problems with the chamber being too long and the bullets having to "jump" to the rifling. I sold mine with full disclosier and the Amish feller I sold it to is happy with the 5-6" groups.
    I know they can't all be that way. I'm even going to look at the new "marlin" style rifles they are coming out with. Bottom line: Always wanted one, got one, didn't shoot well, I may try another one day. (replaced it's hunting duty with a single shot 44 mag Rossi, 1 1/2-1 3/4 5 shot groups @ 100 yrds all day) :twocents:

rugernut65

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Vermillion county
    i personally have marlins 1894 s 357 and 44 both dead nuts accurate the 357 shot everything quite well the 44 2 in group @ 100 with the horaday leverevolutions but have killed deer with no tracking needed

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    That only problem I have with my Marlin 1894 is the 1 in 38" twist. I would love to shoot 300 grain, but I can't find one that doesn't keyhole part of the time at 100 yards. Shooting 240 grain seems to be fine for accuracy and making round holes. From what I read, 200-270 grains seems to be the good range.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    OP:

If you're not going to hunt with it... Any reason that you'd pick .44 over, say, a .357?

if you're a reloader, then the point is moot. But buying .38Spcl and .357Mag from Walmart is cheaper and easier than .44Spcl and .44Mag.

-J-

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    I second the .357Mag. I think it would be a lot of fun. I have a Winchester 30/30 and I love it. Also, if you aren't sure you'll like one and don't want to spend a lot of money you could try a Henry in 22. It will shoot shorts and longs and is a lot of fun.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    The lever action is one of my very facorite rifle styles.

I have several winchesters and marlins a few rugers and a rem. I tried a puma in 454 and it had a cool factor and was ok accurate. Sold it to a fella who loved the cool factor of shooting a round not many shoot in a rifle.

I would start out with a lever 22 then a 357 or 44. Can go wrong with a lever a cowboy assualt rifle.

kboom524

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    New Haven
    Marlin makes a great lever. I own a Marlin in 30-30. A good gun but a little more power than you might want for target shooting. I have a Winchester 9422m in 22 mag that is a sweet shooter. Hard to say which I like best as far as levers go, but I tend to lean toward the Marlins. Years ago the IPSC club ythat I was shooting with held an informal match one night with pistol caliber carbines. A few of the guys had Marlin Camp Carbines in 45acp and 9mm and wanted to play with them. When the match was over first and second place was taken by guys with 357 Marlin lever action, they smoked the semi autos. From what you are saying you want to use it for I think you would be very happy with a Marlin in 357.

Top Bottom