• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I know this is a hotbed of Vortex devotees, but my admittedly limited experience with Leupold is entirely satisfactory.
    I also much prefer a scope whose mechanical components are made right here.
    Can't say that about Vortex, however nice they may well be.

jrh84

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    Columbus
    I know this is a hotbed of Vortex devotees, but my admittedly limited experience with Leupold is entirely satisfactory.
    I also much prefer a scope whose mechanical components are made right here.
    Can't say that about Vortex, however nice they may well be.

The fact that Vortex makes their stuff overseas is my only gripe. Although, I thought I remember seeing Leupold/Redfield sourced a lot of their parts from overseas as well. Can anyone in the know verify that?

While I prefer the Vortex scopes I've used, I can't say anything bad about the actual Leupold hardware from what limited experience I have with them. You just get more for your money with Vortex compared to the Leupold, and an unbeatable warranty (though I've yet to need to use it).

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    The fact that Vortex makes their stuff overseas is my only gripe. Although, I thought I remember seeing Leupold/Redfield sourced a lot of their parts from overseas as well. Can anyone in the know verify that?

They do, all* "American" scope manuf. source various parts from overseas (glass is one, some of the best glass is Jap). My Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x56 (and a NXS 3.5-15x50 I had briefly) is stamped "Made in Japan" because that's where the majority of the parts came form.

Doesn't bother me one bit, I don't really care where a product comes from as long as it's quality. There's a lot of people who say buy American only and they're carrying a Made in Austria Glock.

I don't know of an American scope manuf. that doesn't outsource anything (maybe* US Optics, but I'm not sure)

As for Leupold vs Vortex. 200 yards on in on a 458, I'd just get a couple models from both manuf. and look at them under similar conditions outside. To your eyes, one piece of glass may look better than the other, or the field of view may be better than the other. Talking about a scope and looking through them are different things. A lot of people like Nikon and to me, I can't stand them. Glass is okay for what they are but I don't like the reticles and the FOV always seems too small for my liking.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Well, it's u.s. Optics for me then! Oh. Wait. I don't have $3,500 lying around. Back to Vortex in that case.

I have a US Optics and while it has held up to more abuse than a rifle scope should be subjected to and is a fine piece of gear, had the Vortex Razor II line been available at the time my rifle would be wearing a Vortex.

I've owned three different USO's, a USO spotter, three Leupold, two Nightforce and several Vortex offerings. When people ask me for advice I send them to Vortex first. I now own one USO, one Vortex scope and a Vortex spotting scope.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County

While I prefer the Vortex scopes I've used, I can't say anything bad about the actual Leupold hardware from what limited experience I have with them. You just get more for your money with Vortex compared to the Leupold, and an unbeatable warranty (though I've yet to need to use it).

Shy of USO (I wasn't sure about Trijicon :yesway:), everyone in the US is sourcing lenses from overseas, mostly in Asia. To Leupold's credit, they're actually pretty upfront about it and have it posted right on their website:
    Leupold uses foreign sourced components for some parts of Golden Ring products, primarily lenses. This is because at this time, there is no American manufacturer that can supply the quantity of high quality lenses that Leupold needs for its annual Golden Ring Optics production. Leupold’s lens systems are designed at Leupold, by American optical engineers, in its state-of -the-art optics lab and then procured from outside vendors who must meet stringent quality standards.Incoming parts are carefully inspected in our testing facility before they are accepted into the assembly process. Incidentally, all major optics producers worldwide acquire some or all of their glass from the same sources as Leupold. Some of these sources are located domestically, some are European, and some are Asian. Leupold has acquired its lenses this way for over 50 years.
    http://www.leupold.com/about-us/americas-optics-authority/

My advice to the OP would be to not marry a brand. The die hard "Vortex or die" guys are just as bad as the Leupold guys IMO. Figure out what features and specs you want, and buy accordingly. Way too much nice glass out there nowadays to stick to a strict regiment in regards to brand. The industry is constantly changing, and extremely competitive. And many of the things one might look for in a long range rig (tracking, ranging reticle, first focal plane, etc....) are not going to matter in a hunting rig as much as low light transmission, reticle, height, weight, etc...., since you're likely to be carrying the firearm long distances and using holdovers rather than doping. So it's quite possible a VX-L with the crescent shaped 56MM front lens and a simple duplex (or even Boone and Crocket style) reticle, would serve you better than Vortex Razor with an EBR2B reticle. Shop hard, and read as much as possible. Also don't be afraid to buy something that is used, if it's from a quality reputable brand. Optics carry a pretty poor resale value (in comparison to other things), and you might find yourself in a nicer setup for the same money.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I have compared the 2 myself. Based on my experiences I say vortex makes the better scope. Compare the two of the same types side by side and vortex will be clearer and brighter and cheaper.

sprmario123

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2015
    Muncie
    I had the same struggle for my scope choice on my Tikka T3 when I was living in Oregon. With all the rain and crappy weather I did not have many issues with my vortex. The sales guy turned me onto them after looking at some Leopold scopes.
    My favorite part that pushed me over the edge was the lifetime no questions asked warranty. So if I eat it while hiking and smash my scope they will send me a new one no questions asked.
    Either way you can't go wrong

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Nope, Ive got into arguments 30-50 times on this forum with the same people over and over again. A simple search will produce me giving the facts, and folks arguing with me and it turns in to a cluster. I will say this, Im a dealer for both companies, and I stock Vortex.

Thank you sir, that is what I wanted to know, I think I will be buying one of their 1x4's!

I am also looking at the possibility of a PVS14 in the next year (I hope) for night time hunting of coyotes and some hogs I am going to go down south for. I may consider getting a vortex over an aimpoint or eotech actually.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Thank you sir, that is what I wanted to know, I think I will be buying one of their 1x4's!

I am also looking at the possibility of a PVS14 in the next year (I hope) for night time hunting of coyotes and some hogs I am going to go down south for. I may consider getting a vortex over an aimpoint or eotech actually.

I carry both the 1-4 and PVS 14's, so let me know when your ready sir.

Lee11b

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    North Webster
    PVS 14's now that brings back memories in Iraq.... some poor bastard lit up a cigarette on our patrol. Most of us were focused on connex boxes the Marines left. The local "hagees" were stealing our government's surplus. That lit cigarette looked like the 4th of July in a PVS-14 at 200 yards. The next thing that poor ali-baba knew was there were 12 PAC-4 green lasers on his chest cavity....he looked down, krapped himself and took off screaming. A couple of guys in my unit kept the laser on him as he ran a hundred yards to his pick up truck.... Quite entertaining viewing thru a PVS-14 on my Colt M-4. Now that ali baba is probably in ISIS....damn rules of engagement....I like the Marines idealogy....."KILL 'em ALL....Let GOD sort them out!!!!"

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    PVS 14's now that brings back memories in Iraq.... some poor bastard lit up a cigarette on our patrol. Most of us were focused on connex boxes the Marines left. The local "hagees" were stealing our government's surplus. That lit cigarette looked like the 4th of July in a PVS-14 at 200 yards. The next thing that poor ali-baba knew was there were 12 PAC-4 green lasers on his chest cavity....he looked down, krapped himself and took off screaming. A couple of guys in my unit kept the laser on him as he ran a hundred yards to his pick up truck.... Quite entertaining viewing thru a PVS-14 on my Colt M-4. Now that ali baba is probably in ISIS....damn rules of engagement....I like the Marines idealogy....."KILL 'em ALL....Let GOD sort them out!!!!"

You're not making this lust for a PVS-14 any better!

Lee11b

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    North Webster
    PVS-14 is so much clearer than the PVS-7d. Our 60mm mortar team had the pvs-7d. Of course the 14 can be mounted to a rifle since its a mono. But the clarity of that 2+ or 3 generation is so much better than the PVS -7. You'll definitely enjoy that for coyotes or hogs. I got to use that 14 for a year in Iraq and at several drills when I got home. What are 14's going for now???

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    PVS-14 is so much clearer than the PVS-7d. Our 60mm mortar team had the pvs-7d. Of course the 14 can be mounted to a rifle since its a mono. But the clarity of that 2+ or 3 generation is so much better than the PVS -7. You'll definitely enjoy that for coyotes or hogs. I got to use that 14 for a year in Iraq and at several drills when I got home. What are 14's going for now???

Actually I think they are around three grand! For some reason I was thinking they were a bit less. I may be holding off even longer lol and looking closer to this time next year or so... I really am looking at using it for exactly that though being yotes and hogs... Could maybe sell a gun or two and have some extra funds! It would get more use than said guns.

Lee11b

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    North Webster
    Hey don't forget to check out FLIRs new thermal scopes!!! they have one around 3500. Thermals don't hide hogs behind trees or in brush. Night vision doesn't work in fog, rain, or snow and hardly works on a moonless night.

Lee11b

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    North Webster
    I would trust FLIR's product a little more than that Chinese knock-off on the internet. FLIR has been around for a while, I kept thinking why do you make a monocular and do not put crosshairs in it??? They finally did this year.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I have gen 3 pinnacle tube PVS 14'S for 2500, but you are correct going rate is roughly 3300.

I've also got some of the new IR Hunter Mk2's that are amazing for thermal but are a lot pricier.

Top Bottom