• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jerry45Acp

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2010
    in the country
    Everyone has their own opinions about what is the "best" pistol, shotgun, rifle and etc. As far as scopes are concerned, I think the USA made Leupolds are the very best. The United States Army, US Secret Service, United States Marines, United States Navy and the US Navy SEALS have all put Leupolds to the test under the worst of conditions. But there will be some who say their own favorite brand is better. I looked at many other brands and did not find any I liked better than Leupold. I am not a die-hard Leupold fan from many years past, as I bought my very first one only about 4 years ago and have purchased 9 more new Leupolds in the last 2 years. I have looked at other brands including Vortex at the last Indy 1500 and in my opinion, nothing I saw was as clear and bright as a Leupold. And a Leupold has a LIFETIME WARRANTY.

Jerry45Acp

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2010
    in the country
    Saying you have a lifetime warranty, and having a life time warranty are 2 completely separate issues. Hopefully this old thread sheds some light on why I feel the way I do about that particular company.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/accessories-gear/182649-why-i-hate-leupold-2.html

Read your old thread in it's entirety, didn't see anything written there that would make someone HATE a scope company. Sorry you had a less than stellular experience with your old style VXIIIs. The newer Leupolds are even better than their older models. Congradulations on taking an Elk.

Where are Vortex scopes made?

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Read your old thread in it's entirety, didn't see anything written there that would make someone HATE a scope company. Sorry you had a less than stellular experience with your old style VXIIIs. The newer Leupolds are even better than their older models. Congradulations on taking an Elk.

Where are Vortex scopes made?

Same place as Leupold. The Crossfire2 is made in china, the Razor is made in Japan, the rest are made in the Philippines. The reason I hate them is because in a side by side comparison my 500 dollar scope got spanked by a 100 dollar scope, and "the product meet leupold standards" and my 1200 yd rangefinder would not pick up a bright shiny truck at 700 yds in absolute perfect range finding conditions (slightly overcast) while my buddies 100 dollar Bushnell picked it up just find. Both optics "meet Leupold standards" and nothing was fixed. I completely understand things failing. ANYTHING man made can fail. What I don't understand is a company with a "lifetime warranty" being ok with both items failing.

Also keep in mind Im not trying to make this about Vortex. This whole thread is is about Leupold.

william

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Fishers
    Saying you have a lifetime warranty, and having a lifetime warranty are 2 completely separate issues. Hopefully this old thread sheds some light on why I feel the way I do about that particular company.

I have to agree 100% with Vette on this one. When I was like 20 a buddy and I went on a combo elk and mule deer hunt on the Milk river in Montana. I saved up like crazy to get my dream rifle... a pre 64 Winchester model 70 for the trip. I didn't really have the money at the time to get a super nice scope after I bought the rifle and paid for the scope. I picked up an OK Bushnell I could afford and mounted it up. Practiced with the rifle, and it was fine. About a month before I left my Dad bought me the top of the line Leupold. I was totally excited, and it was way better quality than the Bushnell. We got out to the lodge in MT. The guide took us out and we sighted everything in. It worked great, but the next day I noticed it started to rattle inside. After the morning hunt I talked to the guide and we took it out to the range again and it was way off. We tried and tried and couldn't get it to aim right again. He drove me into town so I could call them and see what they would do for me. They're response was to take it back where I bought it, and that they wouldn't do anything with it unless I sent it through a dealer. I explained I was on the second day of a two week dream hunt, and Galyan's where I bought it was 2000 miles away. Their lifetime warranty was to treat me like poo and tell me sorry about your luck. When I got home it was returned and exchanged for a Zeiss. I'll never buy anything from them again. Granted at the time that was about the nicest scope you could get that I knew of, and I'm sure with my luck I really did just get a bad one. Their "lifetime warranty" didn't do anything for me. More about my bad luck on that trip...We tried same trout fishing on that trip too. I slipped on a rock and broke the tip off my G-Loomis fly rod. Another trip to town for a phone call. They overnighted me a whole new rod to the gas station. I had it the next morning. That's customer service and a warranty IMO. It's not what gets messed up, but how you fix it.

I know Allen catches a lot of crap on here for bashing Leupold and that every scope should be a Vortex. I can understand why people question it sometimes since he sells them, but I don't think he's bashing just to steer people his way. I don't own a Vortex...even though Allen has tried really hard to sell me one. I wish there was a great 100% American made company producing optics that could compete with Vortex, Nightforce and S&B. I wouldn't buy anything else.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I know Allen catches a lot of crap on here for bashing Leupold and that every scope should be a Vortex. I can understand why people question it sometimes since he sells them, but I don't think he's bashing just to steer people his way. I don't own a Vortex...even though Allen has tried really hard to sell me one. I wish there was a great 100% American made company producing optics that could compete with Vortex, Nightforce and S&B. I wouldn't buy anything else.

I appriciate that. People dont realize I sell most everything. Just in the last week I got william quotes on NF, and Aimpoint's. I recommend Vortex almost all the time, because most of my customers are looking for the most return on their investment, and its pretty rare that the answer to that question is not Vortex. The profit margin on Leupold is actually a good bit better that the profit margin on Vortex. A wise business man would probably start selling Leupold to maximize profits. I choice to treat my customers how I would want to be treated in hopes of getting repeat business. Its probably not the most profitable business plan in the world, but that's the beautiful thing about owning your own business, you can run it your way, and if it tanks, you only have yourself to blame.

palerider0485

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2009
    just north of muncie.
    Are you sure you do not have an older model VX-I and not one of the newer VX-1s? I own 3 VX-1 3x9x40 Leupolds, and they all have click adjustments. One was just purchased last week.

its a vx 1 exact age i dont know, i was just at walmart last week and looked at one and it didnt click, which might not be a big deal, but it does disappoint me.I bought it at gun show from a dealer, it was lnib, cant be more then 2 years old.

Jerry45Acp

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2010
    in the country
    Same place as Leupold. The Crossfire2 is made in china, the Razor is made in Japan, the rest are made in the Philippines.

I do not know where you get your information---Leupold rifle scopes are NOT made in a foreign country. They employ approximately 700 US Citizens in the state of Oregon. This 106 year old family owned business designs, manufactures, and assembles all Leupold rifle scopes here in the USA.

I like to purchase the highest quality scope that I can afford, right now that would be Leupold's VX-1, VX-2, VX-R and FX-II. If you want to buy a scope from a company that has been in business for only 9 years and does not actually make any of their own products, that's entirely up to you. If I'm ever in the market for a cheaper, lower quality scope made in China or the Philippines, I might look at a Vortex.

Your unhappiness with Leupold scopes seems to be from 14-15 years ago, maybe you should look at a more recent, updated Leupold.

MtnBiker6510

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 19, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    palerider, I have a new VX1 1-4x20 with heavy duplex reticle on my CVA Scout 12ga. I noticed the first time I took it to the range the dials are very quiet and no audible click can be heard unless I place a stethoscope on the turret. The dial turns with only the most barely noticeable tactile response at each click point. It does have click adjustments, but they are hardly very responsive or noticeable.

Here is a photo showing the turrets on my VX1 (The photo is of a Redfield but the turrets are the same)
    redfield-scope-1.jpg

Jerry45Acp

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2010
    in the country
    its a vx 1 exact age i dont know, i was just at walmart last week and looked at one and it didnt click, which might not be a big deal, but it does disappoint me.I bought it at gun show from a dealer, it was lnib, cant be more then 2 years old.

I have purchased most of my Leupold scopes from Cabela's or MidwayUSA. They all have click adjustments. Even the older FX-II I bought 4 or 5 years ago has click adjustments. I just received another VX-1 3x9x40 from MidwayUSA last Friday (08/30/2013) and it also has click adjustments.
    :dunno:

Jerry45Acp

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2010
    in the country
    The only think you got right there is cheaper. The vortex's are equally as good or flat out better than any Leopold (and a lot of other brands) that you can compare dollar for dollar or feature for feature. PERIOD

I am so glad you are happy with your Vortex scope, even if your opinion and mine are not the same.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Same place as Leupold. The Crossfire2 is made in china, the Razor is made in Japan, the rest are made in the Philippines.

I do not know where you get your information---Leupold rifle scopes are NOT made in a foreign country. They employ approximately 700 US Citizens in the state of Oregon. This 106 year old family owned business designs, manufactures, and assembles all Leupold rifle scopes here in the USA.

I like to purchase the highest quality scope that I can afford, right now that would be Leupold's VX-1, VX-2, VX-R and FX-II. If you want to buy a scope from a company that has been in business for only 9 years and does not actually make any of their own products, that's entirely up to you. If I'm ever in the market for a cheaper, lower quality scope made in China or the Philippines, I might look at a Vortex.

Your unhappiness with Leupold scopes seems to be from 14-15 years ago, maybe you should look at a more recent, updated Leupold.

I really do not want to carry on this argument as it appears to be runnning around in circles. Im not sure what company your refering to being in business for 9 years, but its not important.

I get my info directly from leupold. If you email them today and ask why there product no longer gets the made in the USA stamp they will reply because a they have a lot parts sources both foreign, and domestic, and the design process happens in Origan, and Abroad. If you dont believe me, all it will cost you is a email.

Their website said this at one point and time, but I cant find it now so they must have removed it.

"Leupold uses foreign sourced components for some parts of Golden Ring products, primarily lenses. This is because at this time, there is no American manufacturer that can supply the quantity of high quality lenses that Leupold needs for its annual Golden Ring Optics production. Leupold’s lens systems are designed at Leupold, by American optical engineers, in its state-of -the-art optics lab and then procured from outside vendors who must meet stringent quality standards.

Incoming parts are carefully inspected in our testing facility before they are accepted into the assembly process. Incidentally, all major optics producers worldwide acquire some or all of their glass from the same sources as Leupold. Some of these sources are located domestically, some are European, and some are Asian. Leupold has acquired its lenses this way for over 50 years...

roadrunner681

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    henry county

look your arguing with a scope DEALER, i mean nothing by this but isn't this a bit foolish? the guy knows his stuff when it comes to scopes. besides vette is a cool fella and has helped me with my NIKON scope which he knew far more about then myself. as for warranty i used to dealing with matco and snapon so i wont comment on that.

Jerry45Acp

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2010
    in the country
    I really do not want to carry on this argument as it appears to be runnning around in circles. Im not sure what company your refering to being in business for 9 years, but its not important.

I get my info directly from leupold. If you email them today and ask why there product no longer gets the made in the USA stamp they will reply because a they have a lot parts sources both foreign, and domestic, and the design process happens in Origan, and Abroad. If you dont believe me, all it will cost you is a email.

Their website said this at one point and time, but I cant find it now so they must have removed it.

The Sheltered Wings Company out of Middleton, Wisconsin started doing business as Vortex Opitics in the year 2004, (9 years ago).

Getting a part from a source outside the U.S. does not mean the entire scope is made overseas, as you have implied in previous posts.

The Leupold scopes I have bought as of late have all been labeled: made in USA!:patriot:

roadrunner681

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    henry county
    The Sheltered Wings Company out of Middleton, Wisconsin started doing business as Vortex Opitics in the year 2004, (9 years ago).

Getting a part from a source outside the U.S. does not mean the entire scope is made overseas, as you have implied in previous posts.

The Leupold scopes I have bought as of late have all been labeled: made in USA!:patriot:
    just cause it says its made there don't mean the parts are made there. American labor is very expensive compared to the rest of the world, if it was made completely here they would be very expensive.

Jerry45Acp

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2010
    in the country
    look your arguing with a scope DEALER, i mean nothing by this but isn't this a bit foolish? the guy knows his stuff when it comes to scopes. besides vette is a cool fella and has helped me with my NIKON scope which he knew far more about then myself. as for warranty i used to dealing with matco and snapon so i wont comment on that.

It's not foolish, it's entertaining:popcorn:.

Vette just might be a cool guy, but you wouldn't know for all the Leupold bashing he likes to do. And he may "know his stuff when it comes to scopes", but at the end of the day he is still just trying to sell Vortex Opitcs.

Jerry45Acp

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2010
    in the country
    I am a U.S. Air Force vet. I have fought for this country. I have bled for this country. I am proud of this country. I really do not want to buy any more "made in China" stuff than I have to.

So, if Vortex is made in China, I really do not want it, no-matter how good a dealer tells me it is.

And, Vette, if you really are a cool guy, then no disrespect to you.

Last edited:

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in

I never stated or implied the entire scope was made over seas. I'm saying over 50% of the parts are imported (why they cant be labeled made in the USA) and they are ASSEMBLED in the USA. The ones that do say "Made in the usa" have 51% of the parts being made here. To me 51% is not american made. The Hamiltons (ones who started Vortex) lived in Indianapolis until 1981. They moved to Wisconsin to expand their optics dealership. At that point and time they were a big fish in the bird watching community, and did a lot of the development for a lot of companies. They were not satisfied with the lack of quality most companies wanted to ship to America, so they started their own company. Its not like they because involved with optics in 2004, they have been a Huge fish in the industry since the mid 80's. They are very honest about how their product gets to the market, and where the parts come from. They don't make marketing ploys like "american optics authority" when they are not completely a american company. They are a company that the profits go to their american workers.

This is copied and pasted from the Leupold FAQ

1. Where are the binoculars made? Where is the serial number for my model bino?
    Country of origin and serial number location is generally located near the hinge on the reverse side of the product. There are a few models w/ serial #’s located on the tripod mount cap.

By internet, gunshow, gunshop wisdom all products are made in the USA. If that was the case why wouldnt they answer the question "where are my binos made" with a big proud USA? Its because they have spent many years, and many hours keeping the consumer in the dark about the actual origin.

Im done with this thread. You think your right, and thats fine. some people cant believe facts when they see them. Good day to you sir.

Top Bottom