• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sheepdog Gear

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    Jasper County
    A lot of close family lately have been becoming ill. Some serious, some not so much. But regardless, it's sending my wife and I into a health kick we can hopefully carry out the rest of our lives.

So beyond eating right and exercising, we're really wanting to know more about vitamins. Just looked at the back of my One-A-Days, and it looks pretty anemic, especially in the vitamin D department.

So question is, what's a good combo / brand to take? Do we really need to take a handful of vitamins as I've seen others do? Where's a good place to get quality vitamins at a good price?

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    You are on the right track with Vitamin D. Do some reading. After a good multivitamin, substantial vitamin D supplementation would be my next recommendation for most people.

Sheepdog Gear

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    Jasper County
    You are on the right track with Vitamin D. Do some reading. After a good multivitamin, substantial vitamin D supplementation would be my next recommendation for most people.

Yeah. From what I understand, the Midwest especially is vitamin D deficient.

Also looking into fish oil and all that stuff.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Fish oil is a tricky area. Most are fairly poor quality and the good stuff is expensive. The idea is to increase your Omega3 fatty acids as much as possible. You should strive to get as close to 1:1 ratio between Omega3 and Omega6 fatty acids as possible, but the modern American diet has most people with 10x to 20x more Omega6 than Omega3.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Vitamin b12 injected into muscle is awesome.

For daily vitamins, gnc has some at Sam's club for a reasonable price.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    Research your vitamins and supplements carefully! I usually buy locally from small stores that I know vet their products well, or online at Vitacost.com...read the reviews before buying!
    This makes me angry- Wal-mart, Target and others under fire for selling bogus supplements - Feb. 3, 2015

It's really hard to get everything we need from our food, especially if it isn't organic or non-gmo. When I feel I am lacking in plant-based nutrients, I do something like this: Defense Greens | Genesis Today no, it does not taste good, although I have heard claims that it does.
    I also use lots of essential oils. This especially: Thieves Essential Oils You don't have to pay some of the ridiculous prices for essential oils, there are good ones that are reasonable. Just make sure they are essential oils, not fragrance oils...organic is even better.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Yeah. From what I understand, the Midwest especially is vitamin D deficient.

How so? What makes you think this???

I order from Puritan's Pride. Krill oil, blueberry, cinnamon, a multivitamin (I only take 1 of the 3 a day), niacin, and lycopene. I wash it down with a probiotic. A few times a year I do the added fiber thing, with the smoothies and double my water for the day.

Discount Vitamins & Herbal Supplements from Puritan's Pride

More of a "live foods" guy rather than "dead pill" believer, but I have years of conditioning from yoga and martial arts and all that bong water drinker stuff.

Sheepdog Gear

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    Jasper County
    Vitamin D. Meh. Makes labs, docs, and manufacturers a lot of money.

New study fuels debate about benefits of vitamin D - The Globe and Mail
    Just read it. Thanks for the info. Sounds like the study isn't quite over yet though.
    I'm not a fan of vitamins in pill form. Most of it ends up in the sewer. Get your vitamins from real food
    I agree, but as CindyE states, it's nearly impossible to get your full supply of vitamins in the food you eat. Either that, or I'm nowhere near disciplined enough to do it.
    Research your vitamins and supplements carefully! I usually buy locally from small stores that I know vet their products well, or online at Vitacost.com...read the reviews before buying!
    This makes me angry- Wal-mart, Target and others under fire for selling bogus supplements - Feb. 3, 2015

It's really hard to get everything we need from our food, especially if it isn't organic or non-gmo. When I feel I am lacking in plant-based nutrients, I do something like this: Defense Greens | Genesis Today no, it does not taste good, although I have heard claims that it does.
    I also use lots of essential oils. This especially: Thieves Essential Oils You don't have to pay some of the ridiculous prices for essential oils, there are good ones that are reasonable. Just make sure they are essential oils, not fragrance oils...organic is even better.
    Thanks for the info! I'll definitely look into this!
    How so? What makes you think this???

I order from Puritan's Pride. Krill oil, blueberry, cinnamon, a multivitamin (I only take 1 of the 3 a day), niacin, and lycopene. I wash it down with a probiotic. A few times a year I do the added fiber thing, with the smoothies and double my water for the day.

Discount Vitamins & Herbal Supplements from Puritan's Pride

More of a "live foods" guy rather than "dead pill" believer, but I have years of conditioning from yoga and martial arts and all that bong water drinker stuff.
    In all honesty, I found out about Midwest vitamin D deficiency while playing a trivia game with my wife. It was one of the questions. I, (like you) like sources. So I did a little searching to see if it were true. Here's a little sampling of what came up....

First paragraph....
    The "Sunshine Vitamin" : Too Little Vitamin D Can Leave You Feeling Sluggish - Avera

Learn how to boost your vitamin D | MSU Extension

3/4 the way down....
    Vitamin D?s Crucial Role in Cardiovascular Protection - Life Extension

Thanks for the info though. I too would rather eat my vitamins, but see above....

lizerdking

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 7, 2012
    Almost on lake Mich
    I've been enjoying a mix of B-Complex, Zinc, D, E, and Calcium/Mag combo. You can find them all @ GNC...

The multi's generally are too anemic...
    The Combo packs are usually aimed at "male stamina" or "energy" and are full of ginko, yohimbe, etc... They do boot your energy, I'm just not sure it's something we should be making a habit out of..

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    Do you have a legitimate reason to believe that you're vitamin deficient? Some new data out there to suggest that taking vitamins if they aren't needed can actually be detrimental to your health.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Do you have a legitimate reason to believe that you're vitamin deficient? Some new data out there to suggest that taking vitamins if they aren't needed can actually be detrimental to your health.

There is a huge difference between "minimum daily requirements" and some vitamins that can be toxic if taken at too high doses. Multivitamins in particular are all about making sure that you at least get the minimum recommended amount of a variety of vitamins and minerals. Getting minimum amounts of a nutrient are intended to avoid specific maladies. MDAs are not aimed at optimal health.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    There is a huge difference between "minimum daily requirements" and some vitamins that can be toxic if taken at too high doses. Multivitamins in particular are all about making sure that you at least get the minimum recommended amount of a variety of vitamins and minerals. Getting minimum amounts of a nutrient are intended to avoid specific maladies. MDAs are not aimed at optimal health.

Correct...

But if you don't need the supplementation, you don't need the supplementation.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    You can walk into almost any blood test clinic and ask for a Vitamin profile...it's $50-$70 depending on where you go. It'll tell you where you are, vitamin wise.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    369   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I take one Centrum brand multi a day. I do break it in half and take half in the morning and half in the evening. Helps to keep the extraneous amounts from being washed away.

Top Bottom