• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Indian-noplace
    What are these things , what do they look like and why so much interest in them ?

I understand the fascination with ancient indian relics but why these rocks ?

Far from being "precious" they could be considered "semi-precious"" gemstone. When cut & polished properly, and a good one with good crystals found inside, they make great coasters, book ends, and jewelry.

RelicHound

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    SW IN
    Id be interested in this for sure!
    I use to be more of a rock hound than a relic hound:D I use to go with my pops to Harrison county to look for geodes and fossils....I have fond memories of those days,would love to bring my daughter:yesway:

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    The "Indian Beads" are crinoid stem segments.
    Geodes can be found in great quantities in just about any stream bed in Jackson, Monroe, and Brown Counties.
    They vary it what type of crystals they have inside.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Now i know you will get in a lot of trouble if you take them out of the woods. I had to pay a fairly large fine. They are worth good money if not broken open.

why do you get fined for taking them out of the woods? Never heard this before

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Indian-noplace
    I think all (maybe some?) National Parks are protected from you taking any thing form them. Even the smallest pebble.

I know out west, in Yosemite, taking any thing is a huge no no.

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Between the rock and that hardplace
    I've thought I'd found geodes before...when in fact they were just rocks. I'm not sure how to tell the difference :-D

They are sort of round, knotty/lumpy looking rock. From my experience, once my father showed me one YEARS ago, they easily stand out from other rocks. Wish I had a pic of one, I'd post it up.

I've found some that when opened had very little inside, but others where loaded with crystals.

Anonym

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jun 2, 2010
    Orange County
    I had a construction project in northern Washington county where we were trenching in a water line and there were so many geodes that they would bind up the trencher on a very regular basis. They ranged in the softball to volleyball size. I took a few home with me, but there are so many that some of the locals would cement them together for mailboxes, fenceposts, and I've even seen grain silos covered in them.

onepine

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2010
    Samot, My nephew, 13, has been asking me to take him somewhere to find some geodes. I would very much like to take him to your pit if the invitation is still open. Please let me know, Thanks

archenstone

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 23, 2012
    I know this is old but does samot still do the geode thing? I'd love to take my son out geode hunting. I'm around New Castle and all the geode spots I've found are south west of indianapolis and thats a bit far XD

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    I think it would be awesome to go geode hunting if Samot still allows it.

Growing up in the 70's & 80's my parents were members of the Blackford and Grant county geological societies. We used to hunt for all kinds of cool rocks and go to the rock shows. Hunting for rocks took us to lots of interesting places.

We used to hunt for geodes in the creeks somewhere around Bedford. We hunted fossils in Dugger at one of the quarries. Finding a rare trilobite was like winning the lottery. We hunted lake superior agates and Petoskey stones in Michigan. I also remember hunting dolomite, pyrite, and quartz somewhere between the two states.

Rock hunting was a lot of fun. I can remember being given an Estwing rock pick to dig rocks out with and a canvas army water bucket to put the rocks in. I was usually free to roam the quarry or site we were at. It was awesome.

Perhaps my rock hunting days are why I am so drawn to the creek beds in the park. I can't wait for the weather to warm up and dry out so I can walk them. I still pick up small rocks occasionally. I just put them in my rock fountain.

Here's a pic of a deformed baby geode in what looks like geode matter. It always reminded me of an egg. I just pulled it out of the fountain so it has some water deposits on it.

2013-03-11_21-06-46_984_zps0bcc6c77.jpg

archenstone

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 23, 2012
    that is awesome. I used to find generic stones in my yard in florida and break them open because the insides where so clear and shiny! Even when I got older I bought polished rocks and collected them, still have many that stay displayed. My kids love em too, especially my little girls. I think my son would take and interest in breaking rocks open. After all how often to little boys get to break things and its okay?

edit: meant to add that the geode you show looks really neat. I've never seen one quite like that.

dangar

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 14, 2012
    New Castle, IN
    My son would also love a geode hunting expedition. I'll PM Samot to let him know this old post has resurrected. If his gravel pit hasn't been cleared of geodes, maybe he'll be open to hosting again.

Top Bottom