Lets talk AR uppers. Take a newb to school.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana

Looks nice and I like the YHM free-float, but I know nothing about Sabre. The specs seem to match what you would want, though. Besides the BCG & charging handle, you will need to get a rear sight. The MagPul MBUS is pretty decent, but I would suggest a metal sight if you will be using primarily irons. PSA has a sale on their metal sights, and MagPul has their MBUS Pro line that runs about $100 (of course, for $100 you could also get a Troy Battle Sight: Amazon.com: Troy Industries Folding Battle Sight Rear (Black): Sports & Outdoors)

ghostdncr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Louisville
    Unless you are dead-set on a carbine length gas system, I'd take a closer look at a mid-length setup. A mid-length gives a softer recoil pulse and generally easier on components

Don't forget, you can also help this issue by using the heavier M16 full-auto bolt carrier in carbine-length uppers. Mid length is better, IMHO, but the heavier carrier will calm things down a bit if only a carbine length will suit you.

cubbetm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 10, 2013
    Don't forget, you can also help this issue by using the heavier M16 full-auto bolt carrier in carbine-length uppers. Mid length is better, IMHO, but the heavier carrier will calm things down a bit if only a carbine length will suit you.

you can also run a heavier buffer and different springs

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana

Just pull the band-aide and get this one and be happy.

If you over think it too much you'll go crazy.

I've been looking for a 10.5" AR barrel for 4-5 months and the ones that became available went quick when I drug my feet. Finally after months and months Rainier Arms got a few black 10.5" barrels in stock and instead of diddling around I just bought one. 30 min or less they were out of stock.

Anyway, I pretty much have that exact upper besides I have a 13.2" Seekins/Spikes SAR rail on mine, it's been great, does sub 1" moa with rounds I just loaded that function to shoot steel with and with a 1.5 power scope at 60 yards, and the midlength system feels great when you shoot it.

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    Well, I decided to roll the dice and take a gamble. I ordered something off of GunBroker...

brand new in the box JSE Built mil spec AR-15 upper chambered in 5.56. Comes with aluminum 4 rail hand guard. This upper receiver has a 16” 1:9 twist M4 profile chrome moly barrel with A2 flash hider, chamber has M4 feed ramp, M4 flat top upper, carbine length gas system, forward assist, charging handle, picantinny gas block. The upper has a 1 year manufactures warranty.

pix001942004.jpg

pix097733666.jpg

pix857550601.jpg

pix149658974.jpg

Doesn't include the bolt carrier group, so I'll be sure to get something well reviewed for that and get some decent sights for it. The reviews I've read on the JSE are hit or miss... though I figured I'd take a chance. It's a budget AR. First build. I'm sure I'll start a new one this summer, ideally with a 20" barrel and built specifically for long range. This build is more or less a learning project combined with something I want to plink with and learn about the AR platform.

All the PSA ones I'd like are out of stock, the items that I've found that are in stock I don't particularly enjoy the look of. Since the fellow who is selling these items on GunBroker are about 40 miles from me, and since payment has already been sent, I don't expect it to take too long to get to me. I'll report back. If he ships Monday, I'll likely have it Tuesday.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    The description says "M4 barrel profile", doesn't that mean it'll have the M203 cut on the barrel? Pic shows what seems like a government profile

How much did you pay for it?

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    The description says "M4 barrel profile", doesn't that mean it'll have the M203 cut on the barrel? Pic shows what seems like a government profile

How much did you pay for it?

$369. He also has this, with the more or less the same description, though I made it clear in my message to him that I wanted the item pictured above that was in this listing that I won.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    $369. He also has this, with the more or less the same description, though I made it clear in my message to him that I wanted the item pictured above that was in this listing that I won.

So add a BCG, ranging $130-$170 shipped, you're looking at about $515+ in an upper.

I'm sure it will serve you fine, but for total investment, that Spikes midlength would have been hard to pass up for $15 or less more; for me anyway

Least the gas block is the same plane as the receiver so you don't have to mess with different heights of front BUIS. That's always a pita to mess with

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    Least the gas block is the same plane as the receiver so you don't have to mess with different heights of front BUIS. That's always a pita to mess with

Just be certain not to try to use a polymer front sight on that gas block.

From MidwayUSA's listing:

NOTE: MBUS Front Sights CANNOT be mounted to a railed gas block due to the extreme heat generated during firing. The MBUS Front Sight must be mounted to a railed handguard on the same plane as the receiver rail. MBUS front sights are not compatible with MOE Handguards.

Get a decent folding aluminum or steel front sight (for same plane) and you should be GTG with most rear sights.

Last edited:

Shootin'IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    S.W. Indiana
    Well, I decided to roll the dice and take a gamble. I ordered something off of GunBroker...

pix001942004.jpg

pix097733666.jpg

pix857550601.jpg

pix149658974.jpg

Doesn't include the bolt carrier group, so I'll be sure to get something well reviewed for that and get some decent sights for it. The reviews I've read on the JSE are hit or miss... though I figured I'd take a chance. It's a budget AR. First build. I'm sure I'll start a new one this summer, ideally with a 20" barrel and built specifically for long range. This build is more or less a learning project combined with something I want to plink with and learn about the AR platform.

All the PSA ones I'd like are out of stock, the items that I've found that are in stock I don't particularly enjoy the look of. Since the fellow who is selling these items on GunBroker are about 40 miles from me, and since payment has already been sent, I don't expect it to take too long to get to me. I'll report back. If he ships Monday, I'll likely have it Tuesday.

I just hope you didn't get ripped off. The JSE uppers are good uppers I have a few of them, but if you buy from JSE they almost always sell there uppers as complete uppers that have bolt, bolt carriers, & charging handles. Take a look at this one in your price range.
    JSE 16" LW Carbine 1x9 SS .625 Profile UTG MTU005SS Carbine HG Micro GB

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    You can get a full auto bcg for $100 now a days

I got my Rainier on sale for $100 plus shipping.

Spikes (which I have one and has been great) was only $135 more, a BCM was around $50 more, LMTs I believe were $175. NiB range a lot on price depending on manuf.

I hesitated a lot on buying it. Price often reflects quality, or at least in my mind.

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    I just hope you didn't get ripped off. The JSE uppers are good uppers I have a few of them, but if you buy from JSE they almost always sell there uppers as complete uppers that have bolt, bolt carriers, & charging handles. Take a look at this one in your price range.
    JSE 16" LW Carbine 1x9 SS .625 Profile UTG MTU005SS Carbine HG Micro GB

Yeah, I hope I didn't either. His feedback is good. I'll put a quality bolt carrier in it and do the recommended break in and hope it works out well. :)

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Ah, the upper that was pictured in the listing isn't the upper I'll be receiving. That's okay though, it was just cosmetically more appealing to me. This is what I'll be getting:

pix398969194.jpg

pix701746993.jpg

It's in Evansville and should be here Wednesday according to the USPS tracking, so I'll report back. Whenever I order a BCG for it and sights and break it in, I'll report back on how it functions.

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    That front sight will have to be mounted on your rail.

The gas block being a different height screws up most traditional folding sights so to keep it on the same plane it needs to be mounted to the rail.

How's the fit and finish of the upper?

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013

The gas block being a different height screws up most traditional folding sights so to keep it on the same plane it needs to be mounted to the rail.

How's the fit and finish of the upper?

Finish is good, looks like on the left side of the railing it may have been placed on a hard surface at one point but it's hard to tell and I'm only going to make it look worse over time. I'm not worried about it really.

Fit was good, goes in, comes out. I had a concern originally about a very small amount of play in between the upper and lower, though after reading online I've learned it's nothing to be concerned about. It's very very slight.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good

Or you can get a gas-block mounted front sight. There are multiple manufacturers who make them.

Troy:
    Troy_SSIG-GBF-00BT.gif

Diamondhead:
    1651-2T.jpg

Top Bottom