• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I’ve replaced a few pickups here and there but I haven’t gotten to the point where I know exactly what I’m after for a specific guitar just yet. I’ve had a handful I’ve let go already but it’s been due to playability and neck shape more than tone. When I started playing LPs I had no idea how unique each guitar can be. It makes sense I just never considered it I guess.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Yeah, it's an air guitar.

View attachment 143758

OK, I don't play.
    Wish I did.
    Especially when I'm listening to David Gilmour, Mark Knopfler, or Joe Bonamassa...
    You guys have some nice stuff here.
    Was looking, and admiring, then this thought popped into my head...
    Kinda had to...
    Same here. But if I did, this would be a purchase for sure!

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    As a person that did tech work on and off since the 70's for several shops, pickup changes can be a dark hole of frustration. Once you are past the bargain basement, low quality pickups, Modern pickups are pretty good.

Unless you are looking for something radical like a Dimarzio Super distortion replacing a nice clean vintage pickup, the difference is generally very small. People do like brand name and marketing. A humbucking pickup of 9.5K resistance using Alnico 5 magnets from a top custom builder has little sound response difference than a Korean built pickup of those specs. Now that so much wave form analyzing software is out there, it is easy to see how similar it is. If you are a person that likes to modify the signal with lots of pedals, I have never understood how you hear any difference. If you play 100% clean with a good quality amplifier, a lot of difference can be compensated by the amp adjustment.

That said, I still did the work, installed whatever they wanted, and still took the money. People have actually paid me to take out perfectly good controls and install Gibson branded controls. Or replace plastic insulated wires with cloth insulated wire. I have still swapped pickups in my own gear dozens of time. Many times it is completely different design pickups, like putting 4 Danelectro style lipstick pickups in an SG style guitar, or a Strat pickup in a Tele, or Strats with Humbuckers or P-90's. Or a Filtertron replacing a P-90. Some of my guitars have had 5 or 6 different pickup combinations.

It is a dark hole, sort of like the gun collecting and shooting hobby.

Last edited:

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    As a person that did tech work on and off since the 70's for several shops, pickup changes can be a dark hole of frustration. Once you are past the bargain basement, low quality pickups, Modern pickups are pretty good.

Unless you are looking for something radical like a Dimarzio Super distortion replacing a nice clean vintage pickup, the difference is generally very small. People do like brand name and marketing. A humbucking pickup of 9.5K resistance using Alnico 5 magnets from a top custom builder has little sound response difference than a Korean built pickup of those specs. Now that so much wave form analyzing software is out there, it is easy to see how similar it is. If you are a person that likes to modify the signal with lots of pedals, I have never understood how you hear any difference. If you play 100% clean with a good quality amplifier, a lot of difference can be compensated by the amp adjustment.

That said, I still did the work, and still took the money. I have still swapped pickups in my own gear dozens of time. Many times it is completely different design pickups, like putting 4 Danelectro style lipstick pickups in an SG style guitar, or a Strat pickup in a Tele, or Strats with Humbuckers or P-90's. Or a Filtertron replacing a P-90. Some of my guitars have had 5 or 6 different pickup combinations.

It is a dark hole, sort of like the gun collecting and shooting hobby.
    and that isn't even considering changing anything in the wiring. Caps, resistors, pots of different tapers...

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    When I traded into my LP Studio it had two SD JB's in it and it was very bright, almost harsh. I bought a set of Gibson Bustbucker Pro's for it and replaced all of the electronics and it made a huge difference.

I also swapped out the factory 79 Gibson bridge pickup in my 79 with the SD I took out of the Studio and it brightened it up considerably, it was very dark before. I've got a new wiring kit ready to go to swap out in my 79 but I'm hesitant to do it. I haven't tested the pots but they're pretty consistently in the 300k range for that era. I'd been told that a pickup swap wouldn't be enough to get out from under the dark tone and pots would also be required but I'm kind of liking where it's at with just the SD installed. It's a near exact clone of Adam Jones' and I'm absolutely wanting to mirror his tone. I know in the AJ Signature guitars they came with three Gibson pots and one Dimarzio (for the bridge volume pot) but I've not been able to find any measurements to see where they're at. I'm not crazy about the audio taper volume bridge pot so I might try just swapping it out with a new 500k CTS. I most likely will the next time I feel like digging the soldering gear out.

Last edited:

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Yes, I could never understand why gibson used the 300K or 330K volume controls for a few years. That was not a popular version. People condemned decent pickups in those years as the load of the pots robbed all the high notes. Especially in ES 335 guitars, those pots were pretty tedious to correct.

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    When I traded into my LP Studio it had two SD JB's in it and it was very bright, almost harsh. I bought a set of Gibson Bustbucker Pro's for it and replaced all of the electronics and it made a huge difference.

I also swapped out the factory 79 Gibson bridge pickup in my 79 with the SD I took out of the Studio and it brightened it up considerably, it was very dark before. I've got a new wiring kit ready to go to swap out in my 79 but I'm hesitant to do it. I haven't tested the pots but they're pretty consistently in the 300k range for that era. I'd been told that a pickup swap wouldn't be enough to get out from under the dark tone and pots would also be required but I'm kind of liking where it's at with just the SD installed. It's a near exact clone of Adam Jones' and I'm absolutely wanting to mirror his tone. I know in the AJ Signature guitars they came with three Gibson pots and one Dimarzio (for the bridge volume pot) but I've not been able to find any measurements to see where they're at. I'm not crazy about the audio taper volume bridge pot so I might try just swapping it out with a new 500k CTS. I most likely will the next time I feel like digging the soldering gear out.
    If you like the tone, leave it.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    :cool: This is far worse than black rifle disease.

YR99yITh.jpg

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    That’s a beauty! I’m thinking Zakk Wylde sig model? Been awhile since I’ve been into the Gibson stuff.

I’ve really been wanting something with EMGs lately.
    It's a replica of Zakk's signature model built with a 2013 Classic Custom. No ebony fretboard or back binding but I'm loving the EMG's, never had them before.

blues bondsman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2019
    Michigan City
    My #1 a Limited run 50th Anniversary American Standard My wife bought for me in 2004.
    I've played it every day since and it needs a re fret soon !

I've restored dozens of Tube amps over the years, mostly 1960's Fender Bassmans and just recently (the last few years) started building amps from parts 5E3 and 5F1 tweeds.

I'm not much of a Les Paul guy however I picked up this new Epiphone 50's LP in 2020 and it does some pretty cool stuff my Strats and Teles just cant do.

Attachments

• My 2004 50th Anniversary .jpg
      My 2004 50th Anniversary .jpg
      83.7 KB · Views: 3
    • Newest LP Yellow Burst.jpg
      Newest LP Yellow Burst.jpg
      1.2 MB · Views: 3

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I traded off another LP that I wasn't bonding with. This one is off to a really, really good start. Hopefully once it's acclimated I'll still feel the same but she plays like a dream. I had a really good plan in place for my guitar collection but I'm learning that a guitar that looks like I want it to but doesn't play like I need it to is a waste. I now have two guitars with the same finish which is not one of the three finishes I wanted for my collection but man, do they play. This one is a 96 Classic Premium, my first LP with an ABR-1 bridge and so far she's after my heart.
    0TLCX9eh.jpg

QjDGVC9h.jpg

It's a near twin to the 74 I picked up last week.
    VZMtp1Hh.jpg

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I miss my LP, but I’ve been really eyeballing a Pelham blue es-339 to replace it.
    Have you spent time playing an es-339? Since I like archtops and Fenders, I was sure a 339 would be the perfect guitar size and shape for me. I looked around and found a new old stock that the shop was willing to deal before it had another birthday on the wall. It was a reasonably good build, the pickups sounded fine, it just never got past feeling awkward. Playing standing is not bad once you figure out the strap position that works feels different than what you are used to. Sitting position, that I play 95% was the killer for me. I just could not get comfortable.

I can go from an SG, to a Gretsch Country Gentleman, to a JazzMaster with only a short time to get used to it, but I never could get comfortable with the little 339. I do like that blue color, I even bought a Telecaster that is similar to that blue.

The answer to "do I really need another guitar" is the same as "do I really need another gun"

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Have you spent time playing an es-339? Since I like archtops and Fenders, I was sure a 339 would be the perfect guitar size and shape for me. I looked around and found a new old stock that the shop was willing to deal before it had another birthday on the wall. It was a reasonably good build, the pickups sounded fine, it just never got past feeling awkward. Playing standing is not bad once you figure out the strap position that works feels different than what you are used to. Sitting position, that I play 95% was the killer for me. I just could not get comfortable.

I can go from an SG, to a Gretsch Country Gentleman, to a JazzMaster with only a short time to get used to it, but I never could get comfortable with the little 339. I do like that blue color, I even bought a Telecaster that is similar to that blue.

The answer to "do I really need another guitar" is the same as "do I really need another gun"
    I’ve not yet found one to actually lay hands on, but I tend to play with a strap even when seated. I don’t usually rest the guitar on my knee.

Reactions: Leo
    Top Bottom