• ...and so much more!
  • fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    I’m using the majestic 3 burner forge. Probably overkill but it works good for me.
    Double quote!

What's your heat treat/ temper process. Id love to hear your process, and then I'll share mine. After a bit of instruction and trial and error I've got a pretty solid process.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Double quote!

What's your heat treat/ temper process. Id love to hear your process, and then I'll share mine. After a bit of instruction and trial and error I've got a pretty solid process.
    I’m heat treating in the forge, using parks AAA quench oil, then it’s into the toaster oven. Temperature is dependent on the knife’s intended usage, but generally 375°-400° for my outdoor knives, kitchen knives will usually go in at 325-350° for a little extra hardness.

I just got a thermocouple for my muffle tube for the forge, but I’m not 100% confident in it yet. My most used steels are 1084 and 80crv2. 1084 is really easy to do, 80crv2 needs a few minutes to soak at temperature to get the most toughness out of the steel. I made my buddy a paring knife the other day and it picked up a warp because I went to thin pre-heat treatment. I snapped the tip trying to fix it and I had a little bit of enlarged grain. For the time being I will use it as a guideline but after I save up for my new grinder I’m going to save up for an oven.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Some friends helped build my dream quad but I did all the brain work. Built from ground up on a Honda quad frame turned into a monster hybrid with a KTM dirt bike motor. Built in winter of 2006. Still have it but my racing days ended about 10 years ago. Today I turned 63, but this picture was when I was a young 53 year old still out beating most of the younger guys. If you look you may laugh if you find the INGO sticker that is still on it. DSC00562_zpswvecvunx.jpg

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    I’m heat treating in the forge, using parks AAA quench oil, then it’s into the toaster oven. Temperature is dependent on the knife’s intended usage, but generally 375°-400° for my outdoor knives, kitchen knives will usually go in at 325-350° for a little extra hardness.

I just got a thermocouple for my muffle tube for the forge, but I’m not 100% confident in it yet. My most used steels are 1084 and 80crv2. 1084 is really easy to do, 80crv2 needs a few minutes to soak at temperature to get the most toughness out of the steel. I made my buddy a paring knife the other day and it picked up a warp because I went to thin pre-heat treatment. I snapped the tip trying to fix it and I had a little bit of enlarged grain. For the time being I will use it as a guideline but after I save up for my new grinder I’m going to save up for an oven.
    For heat treat. I get the metal hot enough it's no longer magnetic. Then into oil. Then I put it between it 2x4s with a small weight to prevent warps. Then I clean it up on the grinder. Next I get a metal block super super hot in the forge. I put the hot block on a metal table then slide the spine of the knife back and forth on the hot metal and watch the colors chambe in the blade. Blue on the spine straw color on the blade edge. Then once I have the colors I want I let it rest. It's worked pretty well for me so far.

66chevelle

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    greenfield
    :dunno: I’m going with some sort of drying rack
    I was thinking some sort of yarn blanket thing.

Or she has a ton of necklaces. I made this last weekend for my wife. This piece of baseboard was removed from a late 1800’s school house at least that’s what my buddies dad told me. He claims he removed it back in the late 60’s and put a few pieces in the attic of his garage and forgot about them.

Attachments

• IMG_6625.jpeg
      IMG_6625.jpeg
      403.4 KB · Views: 9
    Last edited:

Dog1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    Clark County, Indiana
    Well not necessarily built it but I did assemble it from pieces and parts with the exception of the smoke grenades that I actually 3D printed and painted myself. But you are looking at a working Vietnam era PRC-25 tactical field radio, and a STU-138 radio harness, with an antenna bag and a attached butt pack to the harness.... I think on the 4th of July I'm going to try to call in airstrikes.1000009736.jpg

Top Bottom