Let's discuss prepping for wound closures and severe bleeding?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    Bizarre ER (Discovery Fitness and Health DirecTV 261) has an episode that shows a wife that sewed up her husbands arm with a needle and thread and no anesthesia. She enjoyed it way to much, you could see them gleam in her eye the doc said she did a good job except for using a continuous suture.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    I complete dismiss any class that uses chest decompression as a selling point on their agenda, as well as trauma kits that sell thora-seals or chest vacs. It seems like those are the token words to get your attention that this is the real thing, but in reality they are focused on giving you bad information. These situations are so rare and the patho-psyiology is so complicated IMO that the skill should be a blip on the radar vs an advertised highlight.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I complete dismiss any class that uses chest decompression as a selling point on their agenda, as well as trauma kits that sell thora-seals or chest vacs. It seems like those are the token words to get your attention that this is the real thing, but in reality they are focused on giving you bad information. These situations are so rare and the patho-psyiology is so complicated IMO that the skill should be a blip on the radar vs an advertised highlight.

Exactly!

People by all means get training, as much as you feel you need or even more. However, Research the Companies, the Persons, and the Curriculum of those you are paying to teach you Potentially Life Saving Skills...

Not all EMTs, Paramedics, and Doctors are created Equally. ;)

cbseniour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    South East Marion County
    Whenever you look to paid training remember the training company is in it for the money. They may disseminate good information but a large portion of the class will be to sell you on the idea that you need more training and probably to sell product as well. If you have ever been to a motivational siminar you realize very quickly that the speaker(s) are making thier money not for appearing but for the products they sell afterwards.

I'm not saying don't train I'm only saying buyer be ware

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    These situations are so rare and the patho-psyiology is so complicated IMO that the skill should be a blip on the radar vs an advertised highlight.

We have a winner !!!!!!!!

Why :dunno: do folks seem to want to learn some "cool guy" , Rambo type skill set , WITHOUT wanting to learn the anatomy and physiology behind it .

If you don't know what's supposed to be there and how/why it works , how will you know if ;

you've throughly cleaned the wound / injury ?

if anything needs repaired while your in there ?

Your setting yourself up for a major FAIL .

I imagine in a shtf type world knowing why , how and when to perform nasogastric intubation and lavage / gavage would be a much more useful skill set than knowing how to suture .

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    THIS!!!

And use an Orange to practice on if you cannot find a Friend that will let you so on him... ;)
    Actually on Best Defence Survival they had them Practicing on Chicken legs or breasts with the skin still on. Looked like a god way to practice to me.
    and I'm some how going to scrape up the money to go to your class Medic! I'll bring along my LPN wife too!

philo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2010
    Peoples Republic of Bloomington
    RNM's course is a must, but I've also got to recommend getting trained in Wilderness First Aid or Wilderness First Responder. Google SOLO WFA it should list several times a year that the classes are offered in Bloomington. It's sponsored by SOLO and offered at IU Bloomington. Dave "Cal" Calvin is the instructor. He's an EMT for Bloomington TWP FD. He also used to be the director of all IU's outdoor adventure programs. He's got lots of experience, and puts on a good training. It's about half classroom and half field practical scenarios.

I've taken it before, and will again when my certification runs out. You can never have too much training and refreshers are always good. The local county emergency management agency is having its CERT training next weekend, and includes a first aid component - 20 + hours free training. I'll let you know if it's worth taking in a week or so.

Top Bottom