Let's discuss prepping for wound closures and severe bleeding?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • alloyguitar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Well most of the training I've had was under the premise of getting someone to the hospital quickly, rather than knowing that a hospital is a good distance away.

If there's an affordable wilderness first aid course around here, i'd be interested in taking it.

alloyguitar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Redneckmedic apparently offers classes (I read on another thread). Maybe he'll speak up about when/wjere/how much they are. ;)

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Well most of the training I've had was under the premise of getting someone to the hospital quickly, rather than knowing that a hospital is a good distance away.

If there's an affordable wilderness first aid course around here, i'd be interested in taking it.

There are a few decent trauma courses by folks on INGO, if you are looking for surgical procedures, advanced trauma/medical patho-physiologies, ideologies, and pre-hospital or a-hospital care, good luck. There is a reason I went to school for all those years to learn pharmacology, cellular anatomy, so on. You aren't going to find a class to teach you any of this stuff.

I'm lucky to cram in 6 weeks of trauma and first aid in a 6hr time block without being criticized for not enough hands on time. Folks just don't understand how much more important knowing something is than doing something.

alloyguitar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    I understand completely. I'm not looking to be an emt or anything. I'm just trying not to die while backpacking. Lol

What do your 6hr courses run, usually, cost wise?

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Redneckmedic apparently offers classes (I read on another thread). Maybe he'll speak up about when/wjere/how much they are. ;)

:wavey:

Working on scheduling another this fall for greater Indy, and also in the process of getting 3 more this fall at NWI, NEI, Southern In. Should have dates by the end of next week for all 4 classes. Local classes are $50 per person, I'm trying to figure out the extra $ for travel and lodging, but no more than $60 for a 3-4hr drive ;)

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    I would never hesitate to travel or drop some dime on skills like this. If it's important to you, you will find a way to get it.

I am a firm believer that we all in some form be more than capable of rendering basic trauma care to the injured until proper help arrives. It disgusts me that I see more people whipping out cell phones to take pics and video for the interwebz instead of offering up help these days.

I carry a gun, there fore it is my responsibility as gun owner to be able to treat the effects of a gun shot wound in case of such an emergency. I have children, there fore it is my wife and I's responsibility to be able to care for our children in the event of an emergency until medical help arrives. I take a basic trauma course at least once a year, even it if is the same class over and over again.

Last edited:

alloyguitar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011

Working on scheduling another this fall for greater Indy, and also in the process of getting 3 more this fall at NWI, NEI, Southern In. Should have dates by the end of next week for all 4 classes. Local classes are $50 per person, I'm trying to figure out the extra $ for travel and lodging, but no more than $60 for a 3-4hr drive ;)

Well, I'm in indy, and you can count me in for that class as long as it's after 4pm or on a weekend. pm me when you get dates figured out, if you don't mind!

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008

Could you update us in this thread when you get your courses scheduled? I'd really like to attend. Every year we go through a CPR class for work, and we very lightly touch on first aid. Back in the service they pounded the training in our heads, but that's been 7 years ago. This kind of knowledge and training are a perishable skill and I am well overdue to brush up. I'm looking forward to the class.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Could you update us in this thread when you get your courses scheduled? I'd really like to attend. Every year we go through a CPR class for work, and we very lightly touch on first aid. Back in the service they pounded the training in our heads, but that's been 7 years ago. This kind of knowledge and training are a perishable skill and I am well overdue to brush up. I'm looking forward to the class.

I can do that.

Tag

Lead Head

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2011
    Northeast Indiana
    In a pinch when stitches are a must, use waxed Dental Floss and the smallest hand stitch/sewing needle you can find. Heat the needle with a lighter, etc.

Some vodka might be a good idea too. :D

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    For a gun shot, just stick your field knife in hot coals till it glows red and stick it on the entry and exit wounds, reload and fight on....

Top Bottom