• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ctrent

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2012
    Fortville, IN
    Hi. I am planning to buy my first handgun next weekend...and I am extremely excited. I am trying to decide between 3 particular pistols.
    1) glock 19
    2) glock 26
    3) ruger sr9c

I am wanting to conceal carry and size does matter to me. I am a petite gal who plans to carry with an iwb holster. I know as far as reliability and breakdown for cleaning goes glock has this hands down...I am looking for more of an opinion at this point on concealability standards. Cost does matter to me and I know that I can get the ruger for about $100+ cheaper and the reviews on this pistol are not bad for the price comparison.

I look forward to your opinions and thank each of you in advance. :)

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Since size matters, I would suggest the G26, since it's smaller. However, when it comes to concealability, the size difference may not be very noticable, depending on your carry position. So, you have to consier the larger capacity of the G19 (using standard magazines for the particular gun).

Since this is your first gun, I would also recommend the Glock. It's proven and there are thousands of guys and gals out there that are familiar with it. I'm not saying there aren't any Ruger people out there, but Glock will win that comparison, hands down. You will always be able to find someone to help with any issues or questions that may come up.

I would suggest taking someone to the gun store with you who has a Glock CC holster that you like. Try on the G19 and G26 and see how it feels. You can possibly find someone with a set up for the Ruger, too.

If you can afford it, don't consider the price (if that makes sense). If you go cheaper just to save money, you will always wonder if you made the right choice. I hope you find the right gun for your needs.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    :yesway: on the Glock 19. I carry one and I can either use my Supertuck if I want to conceal it or my Galco OWB holster for when I don't.

aka-kesler

Plinker
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Aug 18, 2012
    Dont be afraid to try several Holster Pistol combinations.... you need to feel comfortable as possible.. or chances are you wont carry all the time. A decent shop should be willing to work for you if they want the sale..

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    Not to discredit what Que has stated about Glocks, and their being a fine handgun choice for SD purposes, I will suggest trying to get your hands on each one for a test run, to see how you like them. My personal experience with Glocks is very mixed. After a little trigger time, I was competent with it, and felt it reliable enough to carry, but never found it comfortable to me, this was with a G26, G22, and even a G27. My wife, on the other hand, has never been able to get any Glock she tries to go more than 2-3 rounds without a FTF.

As far as concealability, I would say either the G26, or the ruger would be better choices, but you might find a single stack model even easier to carry and conceal, considering you are petite, and when you have to start choosing between wearing a particular outfit and carrying, you might find yourself opting to go unprotected more often than you would like.

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    If at all possible, try to shoot a few before deciding. What feels good in your hand at the shop doesn't always translate to being the best option at the range.

The wife went through this same process a few years back. She bought a Kahr CW9 and thought it was the perfect fit. Between the light weight and long trigger pull, it ended up being a choice she isn't comfortable with shooting all day at the range.

She ultimately found that a .45 ACP in the commander sized package ( steel frame) is really tame and she can enjoy shooting it all day !

Again, try to shoot a few before you decide.

ctrent

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2012
    Fortville, IN
    Thanks everyone. It is fair to say that the glocks are winning in this debate...I was leaning towards the 26 personally. I will definetly be trying them on for size when I go to buy but it is always nice to have welcome opinions.

This decision is so nerve racking to me and I am very hopeful that I make the right choice.

Armed-N-Ready

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    G26 or the SR9C are easy to conceal.

You'll be happy with either. Like others have said, try to shoot before you buy. You should be able to find someone close by that is willing to let you shoot theirs if you provide the ammo. I'd also recommend the N82 tactical IWB holster. They are comfortable and affordable. I have crossbreed and MTAC also but the N82 is my daily carry.

ctrent

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2012
    Fortville, IN
    Ever considered the M&P9c. Might be another option to check out.
    Thanks! I hadn't considered this one but am looking into it. It does seem to have many features of both the 26 and the sr9c that I like on each. I am curious though about reliability... any input on this?

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    My brother has had his for over a year now now with no trouble at all. I personaly shot 150rds through it last weekend while I was at his house and functioned flawless. Plus I just like the feel of an M&P. Just thought though, give you another option to consider when your shopping around.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Above all, remember this when it comes to guns the subjective is objective.

It matters not what others like.

Is there a facility near you where one may rent guns? Rent them all and try them. The Indy 1500 is next weekend. Maybe walk the show to coonfinger different ones and see what you want to try?

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    This decision is so nerve racking to me and I am very hopeful that I make the right choice.

There are many great choices out there so I can easily understand your concern.

If you are new to handguns, a GREAT investment would be to ask around and see if there are any NRA basic handgun instructors in your area that provide the guns for the class. I know some do, but not familiar with ones in your area.

The class would provide getting started out correctly immediately with aspects of safety, proper techniques, and also possibly trigger time with different options so you see whats right before spending $400 +.

thumperdogg

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Hartford City
    3.8 XDM compact 9mm is a great choice, a little more expensive, but the trigger is great as well as the finish.

Also a M&P 9mm shield is also another great one.

You don't have to sacrifice a great trigger for a smaller gun, the two I stated above are good, but the XDM wins hands down!!

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    When my wife bought her first CC gun, I took her to Bradis. She focused on the XD, M&P, and Glocks in 9mm. The important things for her were the feel of the gun in her hand, the size of the gun, and can she actually rack the slide (something guys don't think about). She couldn't rack the XD. It came down between the M&P 9C and G19. The G19 felt the best in her hand.

If you are looking at Ruger and want something slim for summer, try the LC9.

Top Bottom