• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VidGuy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2012
    Muncie
    And guys who live their lives with a "FTW" attitude are the reason we don't have "polite society" anymore.

And a big reason the gun grabbers have ammunition.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Guys that live their lives so they aren't "inconvenienced" crack me up when they try to convince those of us who would rather exercise our rights regardless of ignorant people to make the same "smart" decisions.

But, but, but. . .

It's for the children!

That's right! Shut up!

:D

VidGuy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2012
    Muncie
    Like I said, it's about perception.

And about being "inconvenienced"... I have a life, responsibilities, places to be... you know, s*** to take care of. I can't do that if I'm wasting my (and cops') time trying to prove a point (not to mention making a cute video about how outraged I am that my rights are being violated).

Maybe you've got that kind of time to waste, I sure don't.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    The NFA is federal law and is enforced by appropriate federal officers. Local LEOs enforce local laws or those of their state.

Therefore local LEOs have no jurisdiction where the NFA is concerned.

And in States where ownership of "machine guns" (fully or selecitively automatic weapons) or "silencers" is restricted or prohibited?

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    Like I said, it's about perception.

And about being "inconvenienced"... I have a life, responsibilities, places to be... you know, s*** to take care of. I can't do that if I'm wasting my (and cops') time trying to prove a point (not to mention making a cute video about how outraged I am that my rights are being violated).

The difference between you and I is that I don't care how or what you carry, OR how you live your life. Feel free to carry a pistol concealed so you don't have an interaction with the public.

The problem is, you are on here telling me that my attitude is responsible for the loss of our rights and that my decisions aren't "smart" because they don't necessarily match up to your standards.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    The NFA is federal law and is enforced by appropriate federal officers. Local LEOs enforce local laws or those of their state.

Therefore local LEOs have no jurisdiction where the NFA is concerned.

Is this the same line of reasoning that the federal govt uses to say states can not enforce immigration law?

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    States cannot enforce FEDERAL immigration laws. They can pass their own immigration laws and enforce them.

Ok so let me rephrase just to see if I am understanding.

If a law appears in the federal code and in the federal code only, then State and Local LEO have no authority to enforce it.

If a law appears in the state code and in the state code only, then State AND Local LEO have authority to enforce, but not federal?

Am I doing ok with those statements?

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo

Probably the most honest statement, and I agree with you. I've switched from mainly OC to mostly CC because the last interaction with the police left a bad taste in my mouth. After trying to go up the chain with my complaint, and realizing that the only way to be taken seriously was to spend a lot of money, I decided that the less I have to deal with police, the happier I am.

However, there are others who are willing to go further than I can financially, and I respect them for being willing to do so.

VidGuy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2012
    Muncie
    The problem is, you are on here telling me that my attitude is responsible for the loss of our rights and that my decisions aren't "smart" because they don't necessarily match up to your standards.

*sigh*

All I'm saying is that I'm an average guy, with average standards on what is reasonable and unreasonable in a public setting. Standards that reflect society at large, and not necessarily standards that reflect hard-core gun rights activists.

Then why am I here? Because I want to know what's legal and not legal, what gun shops have good merchandise and prices, and gun safety.

I just have a little different opinion on what should be done in public, that's all. I'm not looking for more gun restrictions or laws.

I'm just saying that when you accept the responsibility to carry, have some sense about you, and respect those around you. Don't go looking for a fight, because I'm sure you'll get it.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    In Indiana, full auto is restricted by state law. What prohibits a local officer from asking for your tax stamp?

Two things:

1. As I previously stated he has no authority to view your TAX document. He has the same authority to inspect your federal tax return- none.

2. The exemption in Indiana is that as long as it is registered under federal law it is legal here. He could ask you if it is registered or if he believes he has RAS that it is either stolen or illegally modified he could call the ATF and check the database.

Neither of which apply to a Terry Stop.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Because he has no legal authority to demand it.

I'm so confused. Indiana restricts ownership of NFA items, so why doesn't he have authority? I understand NFA is federal, but full auto is restricted by the state unless you have a tax stamp. So, why can't an officer demand proof? What stops him? If you tell him to get lost, I'm betting you're going for a ride. Why would it be illegal?

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    *sigh*

All I'm saying is that I'm an average guy, with average standards on what is reasonable and unreasonable in a public setting. Standards that reflect society at large, and not necessarily standards that reflect hard-core gun rights activists.

Then why am I here? Because I want to know what's legal and not legal, what gun shops have good merchandise and prices, and gun safety.

I just have a little different opinion on what should be done in public, that's all. I'm not looking for more gun restrictions or laws.

I'm just saying that when you accept the responsibility to carry, have some sense about you, and respect those around you. Don't go looking for a fight, because I'm sure you'll get it.

Well, its a good thing I am far from average then isn't it? ;)

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    I'm so confused. Indiana restricts ownership of NFA items, so why doesn't he have authority? I understand NFA is federal, but full auto is restricted by the state unless you have a tax stamp. So, why can't an officer demand proof? What stops him? If you tell him to get lost, I'm betting you're going for a ride. Why would it be illegal?

Rookie, you're failing to grasp the concept of jurisdiction.

FEDERAL laws are enforced by FEDERAL officers. STATE and LOCAL laws are enforced by LOCAL officers.

If I rob a federally insured financial institution an FBI agent can arrest me. That same FBI agent CANNOT pull me over on an Indiana highway and give me a speeding ticket. He does not have jurisdiction to do so.

States can pass laws similar in scope to certain federal laws, such as restrictions of full autos. But regardless of similar purpose, state laws are STATE laws, and federal laws are FEDERAL laws.

If the State of Indiana wishes to pass a law requiring an INDIANA tax stamp to have a full auto they can do so, and empower Indiana LEOs to enforce that law. Were they to do so, federal officers would NOT have jurisdication to enforce that law.

But the NFA is FEDERAL law, and local LEOs cannot simply appoint themselves enforcers of that law...they do not have jurisdiction.

Top Bottom