• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    I can tell you this, I will NEVER go down without a fight. I am not just going to comply with someone because they want to do me or my family harm.

Gunner

I feel the same way, and I hope neither of us is ever in that situation....

Just bear in mind that many people do not even mentally prepare for how they would react in a strong arm robbery situation, let alone carry firearms or other tools to defend themselves. Some people just freak out, flail around a bit in an attempt to fight someone off, and turn a robbery into their murder.

The police in this situation are also addressing those people, and in many instances may make the assumption that people that have already chosen to defend themselves and prepare themselves to do so already recognize reality, and are going to overlook their recommendation anyhow.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    I did a brief check and did not find this on INGO. Hope it is not a dupe, but if it is I will delete this post.

Interesting discussion about a jewelry store owner defending her property.

California Police Wish Gun Owners Would Just Comply with Robbers - Gun News at Guns.com

This prompted the local LEOs to publicly announce that they prefer folks just comply with armed robbers rather than defend life and property. I find it interesting that LEOs actually think appeasement is a wise course of action—ignoring the potential for a pistol-whipping or an execution after complying with the demands of evil people.

I have not heard such advice from an Indiana LEO. Another advantage of life in the Hoosier state!

Looking forward to INGO insights.

Then maybe we should just take the guns from the police.

GunnerDan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2012
    Clark County Indiana
    I feel the same way, and I hope neither of us is ever in that situation....

Just bear in mind that many people do not even mentally prepare for how they would react in a strong arm robbery situation, let alone carry firearms or other tools to defend themselves. Some people just freak out, flail around a bit in an attempt to fight someone off, and turn a robbery into their murder.

The police in this situation are also addressing those people, and in many instances may make the assumption that people that have already chosen to defend themselves and prepare themselves to do so already recognize reality, and are going to overlook their recommendation anyhow.

I pray every day that I NEVER have to use my weapon in defense of myself or my family, but I have made that decision to use my weapon when and if the need arises. I train to use my weapon, I practice holster drills, shooting drills, and even some FOF training. When people ask me why I feel the need to carry a weapon or to have one at the ready at home, I ask them if they have a fire extinguisher in their kitchen, most people tell me well of course they do, I ask them why, and the normal answer is because of a fire. I tell them the exact same reason for my weapons is "just in case" I normally get a nod of understanding at that point. I also like to tell them that I carry a gun because when seconds count, the police are only minutes away and I find that carrying a police officer is too cumbersome, and normally I get a laugh at that point.

Gunner

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    I know that gangs have infiltrated the police departments around the country but Albert Morales is the first gang spokesperson I've seen in an official position. He articulated the perfect request of the thug who is out to prey on innocent people -- don't fight back and let the cops chalk your body laying on the sidewalk afterwards.

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    It's unfair to say that "police" suggest such a course of action simply because one police officer made such a statement. It would be like Fenway making a statement and the media regarding it as "gun owners believe that..." Well, not really, just one of them may believe that.

Sorry... it was not "one police officer". It was the official spokesman for the department, which suggests that it is therefore an official policy of the police department.

The story didn't quote some mutt off the street. (not that fenway is a mutt, of course.)

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    Also, what do you expect a PD to say?

There's an absolutely HUGE pricetag placed on liability these days.

If a PD were to come out and publicly state "We wish that all legal firearms owners would shoot robbers with extreme prejudice".... That simply opens themselves up to too many lawsuits from all involved parties.

They just cannot publicly say anything different.

Chances are very high that if you were to speak to most of the officer personally and off the record, they'd be all for a homeowner defending themselves with as much force as needed. Not that I'm a cop, but trust me when I say that they're sick & tired of the criminals too.

-J-

We've had many stories quoted here where police officers have come out and said very close to just that. Do you think a police department will get sued for stating the law?

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Interesting to see the different slant taken in the two presentations of the same event. Still, the LEOs prefer the public to be robbed over exercising their right of self-defense.

Thanks for the link!

A majority of the people here on this board would see someone prosecuted for excessive force in dealing with someone who broke into their home. I would only use the force necessary to end the threat because that's the law, but I wouldn't vote to convict someone who did.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    We've had many stories quoted here where police officers have come out and said very close to just that. Do you think a police department will get sued for stating the law?

I see plenty of folks wanting a pay day for filing wrongful death suits against the department that told citizens to go ahead and shoot, absolutely.

-J-

GunnerDan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2012
    Clark County Indiana
    Should women just lay back and enjoy being raped, too, instead of fighting back?

:rolleyes:

Well if you read the Illinois State Police website on what to do if you are a woman and a rape it at hand to "stick you finger down your throat and make yourself throw up as to not be as good of a target" Really, throw up huh... what a crock of crap. Well I can tell you this, law-be-damned, if I EVER have to step foot in that cesspool of a state, I will be armed with my normal deep-concealment. Oh and to the people that will brow-beat me telling me that I am part of the problem and not part of the solution where it comes to firearms laws, to you I say this, It is better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6, PERIOD!

Gunner

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    If you cooperate with a robber, don't be surprised if you STILL end up dead.

I have a longtime friend who TOTALLY cooperated with 3 guys who came in one afternoon to rob his workplace with a .45.
    He was 19 years old at the time.

After they got the money, they sent my friend back with one of them to the back room to be killed.

While looking down the barrel of a .45 about to be murdered, my friend begging for his life, was able to talk the guy into tying him up with duck tape, and gagging him.

After being bound up like a Christmas turkey, the guy kicked the crap out of my friend.

He was there for hours before he was found, even though he pulled the bill out of the cash register to set off the silent alarm.

These three guys driving an old beat up Cadillac were NEVER apprehended.

So I say, if you have a chnce to fight back and save yourself, DO IT!

Last edited:

griffin

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2011
    Okemos, MI
    There have been a number of incidents where, after the robbery, people were taken to the back room or cooler and shot execution-style. No witnesses, you know.

Cops: "don't resist."

Yeah, right.

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    California. Just another reason to not like it. All the cops I talk to here in Indiana told me to use my guns only when my life is in danger and I am within the rights of the law if I use the gun to save lives. If I am being robbed in the dead of night, I am justified to shoot them dead and not stop shooting until the aggressor is down.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    California. Just another reason to not like it. All the cops I talk to here in Indiana told me to use my guns only when my life is in danger and I am within the rights of the law if I use the gun to save lives. If I am being robbed in the dead of night, I am justified to shoot them dead and not stop shooting until the aggressor is down.

Ask a cop directly and that is what you'll get.

Ask a department spokesman and you'll get the legal liability answer.

LCSOSgt11

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    LaPorte, IN
    Remember,

The initial article came from the "Left" Coast, where most of the more stringent gun laws (except New York and Chicago) are found.

I should think that an informal poll here would yield different results. Also, that police statement may be more for the ambulance chasers than for the general public.

Again, the decision not to be a victim is paramount.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Well, since the police have the same First Amendment as I do, they can recommend all they want, but you come into my home or my business to rob or do me harm, I will shoot to kill and have no problems with it at all. No, I am not going to execute someone like the crazy fool in Minnesota, but I will shoot to kill. If the police try and tell me that I should have complied with some robbery suspect I will tell that particular officer he shouldnt be wearing the badge that he is a disgrace to the profession and to get out of my home/store/wherever and request a supervisor.

Gunner

Gunner
    IANAL, BUT, YOU NEVER shoot to KILL..... YOU shoot to stop the THREAT..... Depending on circumstances, YOU NEVER admit to wanting to KILL !!!!! Now that YOU, have stated YOUR intent on line, it can be used AGAINST you in a court..... Someone, smarter than me, can quote the LAW ..... :twocents:

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    well kiddies thats what we call liberalism at its best. how DARE they own a business when the robber clearly couldn't afford his own??? the proprietor should SHARE his wealth with the less fortunate, less educated, and less driven, even at the expense at his own life!

Top Bottom