• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Well, one is protected by the Constitution, the other isn't, so one legally one can be banned, the other can't. There is a difference.

The issue is the wisdom of the ban which is legal.

Oh and the alcohol prohibition versus pot is inapposite as well, but closer.

Make your case for pot. Period. The metaphors and comparisons are all assailable.

Just make the case for legal pot and we'll go from there.

Oh and "I think government should stay out of people's lives" me too....but that isn't going to win the day either. Make the case for legal pot.

Isn't that the equivalent to saying one should be illegal because it's illegal, the other is legal because it's legal? We are talking about what should and shouldn't be legal, not what is already legally protected. Owning a gun can be legally banned with the repeal of the 2nd amendment.

It's a fair comparison in that people who don't find the appeal in something want to ban it because they see the negatives and don't personally enjoy the positives.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Wouldn't that logic take you to a place of banning big gulps as well though?

What..........are you serious or just sticking something out there.

People make choices. It is up to them what they put in their bodys. Just do not strap the burden of your poor/idiotic decisions on me and mine to deal with the results.

Having dealt with much of this 1st hand I see the good bad and indifferent of it. People can be weak. Easy paths are what they choose over life's hard work. It is so evident in the snowflake culture that want all the **** for free now. Bernie Bernie Bernie. **** all of that Bravo Sierra. Make bad life's choices then deal with those checks you wrote when they come due for collection and trust me they will come due.

If you live in the fast food drive through and suck big gulps all day long that will come due on you as well.

Make good decisions. Pay your dues as you go.

But hey, I know I ask too much.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    What..........are you serious or just sticking something out there.

People make choices. It is up to them what they put in their bodys. Just do not strap the burden of your poor/idiotic decisions on me and mine to deal with the results.

Having dealt with much of this 1st hand I see the good bad and indifferent of it. People can be weak. Easy paths are what they choose over life's hard work. It is so evident in the snowflake culture that want all the **** for free now. Bernie Bernie Bernie. **** all of that Bravo Sierra. Make bad life's choices then deal with those checks you wrote when they come due for collection and trust me they will come due.

If you live in the fast food drive through and suck big gulps all day long that will come due on you as well.

Make good decisions. Pay your dues as you go.

But hey, I know I ask too much.

My point is that protecting people from themselves via drug laws seems to use the same logic as banning big gulps did. People can't be responsible for themselves, sugar related diseases are among top killers in us, Gov't bans it to protect people from themselves.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I am angry with the law that forces me to into an untenable scheduling problem. I'm angry with the law that creates cartels by opening black markets, through restricted legal sale. I'm angry with the pharmacy and/or pharmacist for not working with me for fear of running aground of some law, which may or may not exist and is too convoluted to understand if it did exist.

Where insurance comes in is this. If I lose track of the days and come in on the 29th day and ask them to fill my script, they will bill the insurance, then find out I'm a day early. Insurance denies the claim, but wait, there's more! Now that insurance has denied payment, when I come in on the 30th day to pick it up, they charge me $300 instead of $50. Then I get to call my prescription provider who has to raise a case number for the help desk that the pharmacy gets to call to clear the denial, so they can run it again. It's a real fun way for all of us to spend about 45 minutes.

Now, could I get around all of this by having my doc prescribe twice the dosage concentration and only giving him half? Yes, but that would be unethical and I would never do anything of the sort.

Restricting drug access to people like me, does nothing to restrict the access of the tweaker who is cooking meth in the trunk of his car. All it does is make my life miserable once a month.

I don't mean this as harsh as it will sound, but should we then loosen the scheduling and restrictions on amphetamines (which absolutely were harmful and abused when they were easily prescribed as 'pep pills' or 'diet pills') because that would be convenient for you?

The problem is legalization of MJ isn't going to help you, and those of us who are not users (or libertarians) just see users who want their drug habits to be less risky and inconvenient. That they are willing to risk legal and professional consequences to keep getting high never seems to tell them anything about the seriousness of their habituation - it only makes them want to mitigate the consequences

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I don't mean this as harsh as it will sound, but should we then loosen the scheduling and restrictions on amphetamines (which absolutely were harmful and abused when they were easily prescribed as 'pep pills' or 'diet pills') because that would be convenient for you?

The problem is legalization of MJ isn't going to help you, and those of us who are not users (or libertarians) just see users who want their drug habits to be less risky and inconvenient. That they are willing to risk legal and professional consequences to keep getting high never seems to tell them anything about the seriousness of their habituation - it only makes them want to mitigate the consequences

I see ATO's point. I get a testosterone injection once a month (another "controlled substance"). My doctor's office used to keep it on hand and all I had to do was show up for my monthly nurse's visit. Recently they changed the regulations (for secure storage and such) to the point where my doctor's office didn't want to mess with it, so they now prescribe it to me, and I have to pick it up and bring it to my appointment. I can only pick it up 4 weeks to the day after my last prescription was filled. There have been many times where it would have been a lot more convenient to call it in a few days early (especially if I had a trip to Walmart planned already), but they will not fill it early, even though it has to be administered in the doctor's office. Stupid law. I'm going to turn 60 this year, and have no plans of joining MLB and setting any home run records any time soon.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I know someone who has a much better quality of life due to medical MJ. He has back issues which cause extreme pain. He used to manage it with Vicodin, but since the war on pain relief, he hasn't been able to get any more of that, so he turned to pot, or THC vaping to be specific. He takes a puff or two when the pain is unbearable and it allows him to get through his day. Even better, as mentioned previously as a benefit, it allows him to sleep through the night. There are tons of people in this country who have daily pain that they can no longer manage thanks to the Govt, medical field and drug companies. Having an alternative is a good idea and would probably help prevent people from instead using smack or something else problematic for that pain management. Yes, it can and will be abused, but it already is being abused so there isn't that much of a point keeping it illegal, at least IMO.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I've watched enough Joe Rogan to feel like I should at least give it a try.

Also willing to look into sensory deprivation tanks

I think everything is worth trying once, unless you're genetically predisposed to addiction then probably avoid the addicting ones. Obviously everyone should try DMT though...

jagee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    I've watched enough Joe Rogan to feel like I should at least give it a try.

Also willing to look into sensory deprivation tanks

Dont do it. It's a gateway drug!

/purple

I'd rather smoke a little pot than drink alcohol. But uncle Sam and my employer want my pee to be clean, so on my down time I drink instead of smoke.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    But uncle Sam and my employer want my pee to be clean, so on my down time I drink instead of smoke.

And there's the rub. It doesn't matter if the state legalizes marijuana if your employer drug tests. They don't want you to come to work high just like they don't want you to come to work drunk.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    but where am i going to find a shaman in indiana

2ea.jpg

jagee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    And there's the rub. It doesn't matter if the state legalizes marijuana if your employer drug tests. They don't want you to come to work high just like they don't want you to come to work drunk.

But they dont breathalize me unless they have suspicion. If I dont come to work high, they shouldn't care what I do on my time (lunch break aside).

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield

My inconvenience is just my personal consequence of prohibition.

What I'm mostly concerned with is the funding of gangs and organized crime associated with black market prohibition products. Whether it's "drugs" or guns or hookers or whatever.

I'm big L Libertarian all day long. Take away all the restrictions and safety nets, and let people live with the consequences of their decisions. It's good for their life, spirit, and just about everything else.

Dumb analogy... If you have no padding or helmet, would you run headlong into another human at full speed? No, that's a dumb idea you'll get hurt. Then why do football players do it? They have the illusion of safety.

We need to remove the illusion of safety in our society.

Top Bottom