• ...and so much more!
  • throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Hi all -
    I've used the lee pro-auto disk set for pistol and it works quite well. This is on a Lee Classic turret press.
    I now want to use it for rifle (.223) and it looks like I'll need to get the double disk kit...
    but first let me ask...

Do I need the double-disk kit? I'm not sure what the largest hole is on my current 'D' disk --> would it get me to approx. 25 gr of Benchmark?

Also, does it throw very accurately in rifle rounds? I've only used it for 38 spl thus far.
    I'll be shooting Benchmark, 53 gr v-max (also will work up load for generic 55 gr hornady BT w/ cannelure).
    I'm really just curious if the largest hole gets me in the ballpark, or if it is way short.

Also, I think I'll need to get the rifle charging riser/extension for the pro-auto disk. It is different than the pistol one.

Anyone with experience loading .223 on the Lee Classic turret press using the pro-auto disk care to chime in??

(these will be range/hunting rounds, longest expected distance will be about 250 yds)

DoctorThunder

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Yes, use it quite often for .223 and I've had good success with it. You will definitely need the double disk kit. Going with a single disk won't get you where you need to go for most powders. Even if you found a powder with a low enough VMD, you would still have no flexibility. Benchmark at 1.57cc would only get you to 22gr. The double disk kit gives you plenty of workable combinations to dial in most loads. If you need more flexibility with the disks, check out this thread.

FreeFAL

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 12, 2014
    Indianapolis
    The load manual estimates the charge for you. I reload 308 and it wasn't even close so I got a double disk kit going. Overall it's very cheap, I would suggest just getting one anyway. Another nice upgrade is the PRO upgrade with the silicone bumper.

theslasher

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2013
    Knox
    Yes you need it. They work well. Always use the larger hole on the bottom so the powder dosent have a shelf to sit on.. Takes lots of trial and error to get the load you want but once you find the right combo and write it down, you are golden!

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Yup, trial and error. Expect to change discs around for a while before you get what you want. And weigh a number of charges. Mine always takes a few before it settles down to a consistent charge. Don't expect match ammo accuracy - it will likely be off a few tenths of a grain between charges, depending on your powder.

DoctorThunder

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    I generally run at least 10 charges through before starting to load. As far as accuracy, unless my scale is off, they're almost always right on the money. If charges are off by a couple tenths, then I'd be concerned. Usually good practice to weigh a sampling of charges for accuracy anyway, but I don't let my loads be off by more than +/- .1 grain,of my target weight. This has been achievable with the auto disks for me without too much hassle.

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    I would recommend going with the adjustable charge bar instead of doubling up the auto disc. I have 5 of the powder measurers, one for each of the primary rounds I reload for and every one has the adjustable charge bar, along with a couple extras pre set for rounds I only load occasionally.

DoctorThunder

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    I would recommend going with the adjustable charge bar instead of doubling up the auto disc. I have 5 of the powder measurers, one for each of the primary rounds I reload for and every one has the adjustable charge bar, along with a couple extras pre set for rounds I only load occasionally.

The charge bar only goes up to about 1.45cc, which isn't enough for a rifle load. You can't combine a disk and a charge bar, and you'd have to modify one charge bar if you wanted to stack two. I've tried that and it was extremely unreliable. I still recommend sticking with the double disk kit. I'm curious how you get a rifle load out of the charge bar.

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    The charge bar only goes up to about 1.45cc, which isn't enough for a rifle load. You can't combine a disk and a charge bar, and you'd have to modify one charge bar if you wanted to stack two. I've tried that and it was extremely unreliable. I still recommend sticking with the double disk kit. I'm curious how you get a rifle load out of the charge bar.

I thought I read where you set up for 1/2 the load, then double stroked the powder to get the full charge, but after dragging out a set of instructions, I found that I was mistaken.

Top Bottom