• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • buzzined

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 6, 2010
    Crown Point
    New to reloading and getting ready to go buy a. 40 S&W die set. Should I buy the 4 die set or the 3 die set. Do both sets do the same thing? Are you getting an extra function with the 4 die set or does the 3 die set do more functions per die.

JB75

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    fort wayne
    four die set has a factory crimp die. If your looking for one I have a lee 40 s&w deluxe 4 die set I never used ( I sold my 40 before I used it) I be willing to part with for $25 just let me know

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    You get more functions with the 4 set, namely being able to seat on one die and then crimp on another. I've never reloaded for 40, but if I had to do it over again, I would get all my Lee sets (44, 357, 32) with the factory crimp die. Just sayin.

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Funny you ask. I just finished up reloading several hundred rounds of .40 S&W yesterday using the Lee 4 die set. The factory crimping die has a few advantages over using the seating die to set the crimp. The main advantage is that the factory crimp die has a carbide ring in the base that resizes you finial round as it crimps. I also find it easier to set the amount of crimp, whether heavy or light, using it over the seating die.

When coupled with the Lee bulge buster it will eliminate the lower case bulge that sometimes happens with pistols that don't fully support the chamber. It's not recommended to use it if you shoot one of those but if you don't then it's really a nice step to guarantee proper feeding in your pistol. All in all it's well worth the few extra bucks to get the four die set but you can pick up anybodies 3 die set and add the factory crimp die later if you decide to use it. I liked it enough that I picked one up for all the pistol calibers I reload for.

ptt811

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    Fairbanks, IN
    I use a Factory crimp die on my 45 ACP.... I have talked to some guys who say they don't crip at all if the bullet goes in the case tight ??? I was told a whille back to use the crimp die on any Auto loader so they will feed right....I think with a revolver it is a wasted step. I would buy the 4 die set...if you later feel you dont want to use the extra set then you still have the die.

buzzined

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 6, 2010
    Crown Point
    Funny you ask. I just finished up reloading several hundred rounds of .40 S&W yesterday using the Lee 4 die set. The factory crimping die has a few advantages over using the seating die to set the crimp. The main advantage is that the factory crimp die has a carbide ring in the base that resizes you finial round as it crimps. I also find it easier to set the amount of crimp, whether heavy or light, using it over the seating die.

When coupled with the Lee bulge buster it will eliminate the lower case bulge that sometimes happens with pistols that don't fully support the chamber. It's not recommended to use it if you shoot one of those but if you don't then it's really a nice step to guarantee proper feeding in your pistol. All in all it's well worth the few extra bucks to get the four die set but you can pick up anybodies 3 die set and add the factory crimp die later if you decide to use it. I liked it enough that I picked one up for all the pistol calibers I reload for.

I am going to reload for my Glock 22. Is that a gun I should not be using the crimp die for?

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    I am going to reload for my Glock 22. Is that a gun I should not be using the crimp die for?

I reload for my G19, with a four die set. FYI you must use copper plated, jacketed, or washed bullets when shooting a glock. If you hand load lead you will get some pretty ugly fouling in your barrel. We buy Barry's Copper Washed, about $40/500 at the 1500.

buzzined

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 6, 2010
    Crown Point
    I reload for my G19, with a four die set. FYI you must use copper plated, jacketed, or washed bullets when shooting a glock. If you hand load lead you will get some pretty ugly fouling in your barrel. We buy Barry's Copper Washed, about $40/500 at the 1500.

The lead bullets I knew about. I was more concerned with the bulge you get with a .40. I have read that Glocks are onw of the guns you see this in. I have also read it is only in early Glock and they made a change to the barrel to help with this. I have a gen 3 and I trying to figure out if I should use the crimp die or not.

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010

No the crimp die is fine to use for Glocks, you still get the finial resize which is a good thing and I feel it's easier to set the crimp you want than using the seating die.

Lee doesn't recommend using the Bulge Buster to remove the lower case bulge that sometime happen with Glocks and other pistols that don't fully support the chamber . The "Bulge Buster works by removing the crimping piece of the die and replacing it with the Bulge Buster which allows you to run the full case through the resizing ring which in turn removes any lower case bulge. It's not a necessary step with Glocks and I guess the reason it's not recommended is why put any undue stress on the lower part of the case and possibly weakening it when it's just going to bulge out again.

Last edited:

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Is this really an issue? I dont shoot Glocks, so I have never experianced this.

You need a special die to "debulge" Glocked brass?

I have used glocked brass before and have never run into an issue using the normal sizing die,....

Whats up with that?

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Is this really an issue? I dont shoot Glocks, so I have never experianced this.

You need a special die to "debulge" Glocked brass?

I have used glocked brass before and have never run into an issue using the normal sizing die,....

Whats up with that?

To answer your questions, yes you need a special die to de-bulge brass that shows signs of lower case bulge from firing in a gun that doesn't fully support the cartridge, 9mm the exception, I don't know of anyone that makes a die for bulge busting 9mm.

Is it an issue, not really I guess. It's one of those "anal retentive" things. The pistols I shoot have fully supported chambers so to ensure as close as I can getting to 100 % proper feeding I do it. If there's a failure to feed I'm pretty sure it's not because the case is out of spec. It's just a step that makes sure your round is the proper diameter from top to bottom. You only need to do it once if you shoot the same brass in the same pistol and not at all if you shoot a pistol that doesn't fully support the brass.

It's one of those reloader's choice kind of thing. I do because I feel it gives me a better round.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    To answer your questions, yes you need a special die to de-bulge brass that shows signs of lower case bulge from firing in a gun that doesn't fully support the cartridge, 9mm the exception, I don't know of anyone that makes a die for bulge busting 9mm.

Is it an issue, not really I guess. It's one of those "anal retentive" things. The pistols I shoot have fully supported chambers so to ensure as close as I can getting to 100 % proper feeding I do it. If there's a failure to feed I'm pretty sure it's not because the case is out of spec. It's just a step that makes sure your round is the proper diameter from top to bottom. You only need to do it once if you shoot the same brass in the same pistol and not at all if you shoot a pistol that doesn't fully support the brass.

It's one of those reloader's choice kind of thing. I do because I feel it gives me a better round.

Gotcha. Bro, you are getting rep for that well worded informative response.

Obviously the reason I have never run into it is I reload 9mm and 45, and toss the .40.

Great response. :yesway:

Hiker1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    South
    4 Die set! :yesway:

I've always used the Factory Crimp Die for the following:
    .38, .357. 45 Colt, 9MM, 45 ACP, 303 British, 30-30, and 7.5 x 55.

buzzined

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 6, 2010
    Crown Point
    Thanks for all the very informative answers. I bought the 4 die set. Sorry JB sounded like a good deal but was at Cabelas today and my father inlaw bought them for me as part of my. B-day.

davek22

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2011
    The 4th one is the factory crimp die. I highly recomend this especially for autoloaders. It makes sure that the cartridge is to spec.

reno

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2009
    Indiana
    I use the four die sets, I also factory crimp practically everything I reload. Just a habit and I think creates better round to round performance. I have also purhcased the factory crimp die separate. If available when you buy , get the four die set. You will not regret it.

I also read, recently, that someone is making a die now to fully resize the bulge on the cases near the rim.
    Almost like a reshaping dies, it extends more into the dies from the shellholder. I can not remember which manufacturer it was though.

Top Bottom