• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    I have a 3-die set and I've never had an issue.

Of course, I shoot an XD. :D

As an engineer, I would be very interested to see how many times you can reload glocked brass and what the failure modes would be (like case head separation). I have a sneaking supicion that this, more than any other single factor, causes a stinging sensation while shooting the final round through a Glock 40. And that "fixes" like Bulge Buster will just make a bad thing worse.

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    I have a 3-die set and I've never had an issue.

Of course, I shoot an XD. :D

As an engineer, I would be very interested to see how many times you can reload glocked brass and what the failure modes would be (like case head separation). I have a sneaking supicion that this, more than any other single factor, causes a stinging sensation while shooting the final round through a Glock 40. And that "fixes" like Bulge Buster will just make a bad thing worse.

I guess that's why it's not recommended to "bulge bust" if you shoot a pistol whose chamber doesn't fully support the round and you only need to do it once for pistols that do. My guess if you use it the way it's intended there shouldn't be a problem. I'm not an expert but I have brass that's been loaded 6 or 7 times and it doesn't show any unnecessary wear around the case head. Now if you "bulge bust" every time and shoot a Glock I can see where that could cause premature case failure.

Of course we're talking bulge busting not just using the factory crimp die. The factory crimp die doesn't fully remove the lower bulge unless you use the bulge busting adapter but it does re-size the finial round much in the same way the re-sizing die does and it's easier to set the amount of crimp. You should pick one up and try it, I think you'd be happy with the results.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    I use the FCD on all my revolver loads and definitely recommend them. But since I haven't had a problem (not a single one) with my reloads feeding in the XD, how would I notice a difference? ;)

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    I use the FCD on all my revolver loads and definitely recommend them. But since I haven't had a problem (not a single one) with my reloads feeding in the XD, how would I notice a difference? ;)

Well that's a good point! Maybe you should get something that would have a problem instead of that XD, I mean, where's the fun in having a reliable pistol that shoots well? :D

Top Bottom