• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyMedic

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I am looking at getting an OWB holster, and I am having a tough time deciding whether to get a leather or polymer holster. I am specifically looking at the Blackhawk sherpa and the Blackhawk classic leather.

I have heard and read that the polymer holsters will wear the finish on the slide of your gun.

Anybody have experience with this? what do you use with your polymer pistol?

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    You have to use kydex with plastic guns. Pretty sure it's a law of nature. Right up there with gravity. Leather, the skin an animal gave its life to provide, is for 1911s.

Note that the reverse is not true. You can put a 1911 in anything that's sexy.

magic man

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   1
    Mar 7, 2010
    NWI
    Check out Raven Concealment Systems. They are a site sponsor here. If you are looking for something with active retention, check out the Safariland ALS line of holsters. I prefer them to the Serpa.

c2joe

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Have you looked at the Itac holsters? I picked one up for my m&p a few weeks ago and don't have any complaints on it yet.

Revelations

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    NW IND/ Tampa Bay
    You have to use kydex with plastic guns. Pretty sure it's a law of nature. Right up there with gravity. Leather, the skin an animal gave its life to provide, is for 1911s.

Note that the reverse is not true. You can put a 1911 in anything that's sexy.

Rep for you...

To the OP...get what you like...I have a RCS for my G19 but have also used a CQC/S at one time...

Jenel

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    Johnson County
    SERPA holsters are great. For OWB I carry my Glock in a SERPA. I bought a CrossBreed holster in horse hide and I love it! But it is an IWB.

andrewheath

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Indianapolis

shootinghoosier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2010
    Indy
    I drove myself absolutely nuts trying to figure out the "best" holster for my Beretta 92FS and Sig 226. I stayed up late several nights reading holster recommendations on other forums. Then there was more time on the internet studying holster prices in the pursuit of finding the best deal. Finally threw up my hands and ended up going with a DeSantis Speed Scabbard and a Galco Fletch because I like leather holsters, they look good and were reasonably affordable.

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    I use both--depending if I am OC (Serpa) or CC (Leather- Tagua) because the Serpa rides so far away from my hip that it prints so much I might as well be OC. :twocents:

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Downtown Fort Wayne
    Again, Leather Galco's can't be beat. The guy in that video looked like a. He didn't have his gun seated properly all the way in the holster with the trigger covered, and or b. he was using a sub compact holster for a full size Glock, can't quite tell.

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    I much prefer a leather holster over the plastic versions. I realize that is a matter of personal opinion.
    Of course my XDm40 came with a plastic holster, and as a result I haven't actually carried it very much.
    I looked at Galco, Desantis ect on the net but was never able to find one that wasn't "Out of stock/backordered".
    Yesterday we made a restroom stop at the Terre Haute Gander Mountain. By chance I happened upon a Blackhawk leather pancake holster for the XDm40. I usually don't buy much from Gander but decided to take a chance on this holster.
    I use my stuff pretty hard so if there are any weaknesses to it they will show thereself.

Rampdog

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2011
    Cloverdale
    I have polymer holsters for my plastic guns and haven't had a wear problem on the slide. That being said, any gun will show some wear after prolonged use, being pulled from and returned to a holster regardless of material.

I once tried putting my 1911 in a kydex holster. It was unnatural, almost like an afront to nature, like trying to milk a bull. It's...a sacrilege. That's what it is. I expected the heavens to open up and lightning to strike me. The sole exception is for competition. I think the laws of nature are suspended for gun gods like Rob Leatham, Jerry Barnhart, and Max Michel.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom