• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    I beg to differ: This is "proof" that some people jump into things a little too quickly and need instruction and/or guidance from someone with experience and patience. What they don't need is a third party passing judgement on them with limited information and absolutely no intention of helping them load safely.

Don't you run a reloading CLASS? Wouldn't it be a far better response for you to say, "Come on up and take one of my classes in Ft. Wayne. I'll help you get things sorted out so the ammo you make is top-notch!" ??

The reloading community is typically inclusive...why would you be so quick to condemn someone making their first attempt at reloading and dismiss anyone as being unfit to do so? :rolleyes:

Thank you for your condescending, pejorative comments and eye roll. It speaks volumes about you, sir.

Someone who throws powder all around, doesn't use a scale, doesn't have a manual (a manual is useless in this case), crushes cases, crunches primers in sideways, stuffs bullets all the way down in cases, and who know what else, should not be reloading.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Thank you for your condescending, pejorative comments and eye roll. It speaks volumes about you, sir.

Someone who throws powder all around, doesn't use a scale, doesn't have a manual (a manual is useless in this case), crushes cases, crunches primers in sideways, stuffs bullets all the way down in cases, and who know what else, should not be reloading.

You're quite welcome.

In the 4 pages preceding your response, there was exactly one (1) person condemning the OP, suggesting that he should not reload. That person would be you. Despite your certification from the NRA to teach reloading, your response was not to tutor, but to dismiss the would-be student. And you label ME condescending?

I agree that some people should not reload. In the same breath, some people should not instruct. Given your seemingly quick-to-judge nature, with very little information to go on, I could easily label you as unfit to teach anyone, but I simply don't know you well enough to make that assessment. Instead, I will ask you but one question: If you were at a friend's house where they surprised you with rounds like the OP posted, from their first attempts to reload, would you look them in the eye and tell them they should not EVER reload? Or, would you give them a little grief as you started to teach them some of the fundamentals of reloading?

The thing is, NIFT, Internet forums allow people to be incredibly rude and indifferent; to behave as they would NEVER choose to be, in person. I don't believe you're the kind of guy who would quash someone's desire to reload, yet you didn't offer a single word of encouragement or advice to the OP. Frankly, you can do better, even if it's only to be as magnanimous as a few others have been in offering to help him LEARN. Isn't that what instructors should do?

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    Good grief!
    You should limit yourself to factory ammunition. Proof that some people should not be reloading.

I did just that: don't reload! Use factory ammunition. That is the right direction in this case.

Even more reason to stay away from NRA classes if people like you are teaching. I can't believe someone would be so damn condescending to a guy trying to further his participation in the shooting sports.

I still disagree with Broom about reloading manuals being the end-all be-all...that said, I would say in this case the OP should be studying every manual he can get his hands on, or spend some time with someone who has done this for years...preferably Andrew who has taught this a bunch, but a guy who has been a mechanic can pick this up quickly if he could watch someone do it right for an hour or two. Either way, that isn't the point. The OP has all his fingers, he didn't burn down the house, blow up the dog, or kaboom a Glock, so I say no harm, no foul, lesson learned. Also I say keep those crazy messed up reloads and crushed cases for memories. When he's flying through good safe proper reloads he'll be able to look at those funny little buggers and have a good laugh.

We shouldn't be hammering the guy like we are. Plenty of people have jumped in and said what needed to be said, I'm sure he gets the point. I just can't believe someone who takes part in no degree of privacy (real name obvious) would jump on this guy and say the things you did...especially when you are attempting to bring people into your classes. Unfit to teach indeed! If someone came to your classes holding a rifle backwards with the muzzle in their shoulder and the stock facing the target...would you laugh take the gun away and tell them some people should never be gun owners? You might, but a good teacher would teach them!

I say good on the OP for admitting to his problems, posting it on a public forum, and asking for help. That takes cojones.

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    The crushed cases look like the press was not fully indexed when you stroked the handle. Also, to crush it that bad you are probably moving way to fast for a beginner (I am also a beginner).

Depending on how you do the primers, it is not that difficult to get one in sideways. Seating a bullet all the way down like you have is a matter of not setting the seating die properly. Back way out on that die until it starts to push the bullet in. Then go a little at a time until you get it where it should be.

I would say this - don't just pull the handle of the press. Listen to the press, feel the press and watch the press.

When you listen you will hear the press click into it's proper index position which should illiminate the crushed cases.

Feel the press will let you know when a primer is starting into the pocket properly and when it is going in sideways. You can feel it when it's right an when it's wrong. When it feels bad, stop and investigate.

Watch the press to be sure that everything is in proper position and the powder is dropping in each case.

Slow the speed and enjoy the process. Your a man not a production machine so have fun doing it.

Lastly, LEE has some good videos on their site about adjusting presses and how each thing should work. Also youtube has an endless supply of videos to watch. Through these outlets you can have a reloader on call 24/7 and you can just sit and watch.

Get the necessary supplies including manuals and enjoy doing it.:ingo:

Caldad

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2012
    Evansville, IN
    Good call... I spaced the LEE Tutorial Videos... helped me a bunch! :rockwoot:

Help Videos - Lee Precision

The crushed cases look like the press was not fully indexed when you stroked the handle. Also, to crush it that bad you are probably moving way to fast for a beginner (I am also a beginner).

Depending on how you do the primers, it is not that difficult to get one in sideways. Seating a bullet all the way down like you have is a matter of not setting the seating die properly. Back way out on that die until it starts to push the bullet in. Then go a little at a time until you get it where it should be.

I would say this - don't just pull the handle of the press. Listen to the press, feel the press and watch the press.

When you listen you will hear the press click into it's proper index position which should illiminate the crushed cases.

Feel the press will let you know when a primer is starting into the pocket properly and when it is going in sideways. You can feel it when it's right an when it's wrong. When it feels bad, stop and investigate.

Watch the press to be sure that everything is in proper position and the powder is dropping in each case.

Slow the speed and enjoy the process. Your a man not a production machine so have fun doing it.

Lastly, LEE has some good videos on their site about adjusting presses and how each thing should work. Also youtube has an endless supply of videos to watch. Through these outlets you can have a reloader on call 24/7 and you can just sit and watch.

Get the necessary supplies including manuals and enjoy doing it.:ingo:

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    Saw that you asked about Muncie gun show. I plan to be there Sunday. If you are going to be there shoot me a PM. Can give you some .45 cases to practice with and a kenetic bullet puller. No charge. Let you pick my brain for coffee. I'm not cheap. I'm reasonable.

wolfts01

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 14, 2010
    New Haven
    lol, I understand the vague Lee instructions. I'm an electrical/computer engineering student and I screwed up my first round pretty bad; I seated the bullet almost entirely down inside the case. In our defense, they don't really say to back out the seating die adjustment knob in the instructions. It comes fully screwed in - talk about a compressed charge.

I think I got my digital scale for $20 at Midway, and it works like a charm. I highly suggest getting a digital scale, because charging is a slow process even with it. I can't imagine how long it would take me to charge a box of cases with a mechanical scale.

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    I think I got my digital scale for $20 at Midway, and it works like a charm. I highly suggest getting a digital scale, because charging is a slow process even with it. I can't imagine how long it would take me to charge a box of cases with a mechanical scale.

Get a powder measure. It speeds things up dramatically. Actually, get the [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Lyman-7767783-Powder-Measure/dp/B000N8LHD8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1332392130&sr=8-3"]Lyman #55 Powder Measure[/ame]. It is an excellent product.

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    lol, I understand the vague Lee instructions. I'm an electrical/computer engineering student and I screwed up my first round pretty bad; I seated the bullet almost entirely down inside the case. In our defense, they don't really say to back out the seating die adjustment knob in the instructions. It comes fully screwed in - talk about a compressed charge.

I think that the instructions for the dies come with the dies themselves. In my case it did when I bought some of my dies. The others that I have were inherited so I don't know about those.

I personally like video tutorials better because you can just see it in action.

The Lee Autodisk powder charger is another one that is good for your press. The beam scale is for measuring the accuracy of the charge being thrown by a powder charger and for doing very precise hand loads. It can obviously be used instead of a powder throw but as you said - it is very slow, indeed.

As far as wrecking a few you don't have anything to defend yourself over. We all wreck some (except me of course) so no big deal. To me it is more of the safety factor and about not getting hurt when something doesn't go right.

We all have to respect the fact that we are working wih gun powder, primers and bullets no matter what our experience level is.

I am a beginner and I have enjoyed the process. I have gotten a primer in sideways also. So far I haven't smashed a case but I sure that will happen with more time under my belt:D

Stay safe and have fun with the hobby.:yesway:

Top Bottom