• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mrs. Mk2ja

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2010
    Beijing, China
    Hey everybody. After I return from China in June, I want to purchase (that is, if I don't win the contest on here ;) a small, lightweight handgun to carry on a daily basis. From talking to various people and my own personal research, I have always liked the brand Ruger, specifically the Ruger LCP .380. It's lightweight, incredibly small and it's good-looking, to boot. Being that I am only a 120 pound girl, I am not looking to carry something big that would look bulky on my body frame. Upon doing more research though, it looks like the Ruger LCR (revolver) might be a more reliable gun than the LCP. I much prefer the look of the LCP over the LCR, but when it comes down to it, of course what is most important is which gun will go off without hitch the moment that I need it to... My question is, do any of you have experience with both guns? Which one do you think would be a better pick for me? Or if not those two, which other brand and make/model (would those be the appropriate terms for guns?) would you recommend? Any input would be appreciated! As you can probably tell, I am still new to all this gun stuff. I've loved guns since I was young, but I have only recently started to really educate myself on them. :)

AND...on that note, I will be in Indiana from Feb 19-27th, so maybe that would be a good time to get together with some of you and try shooting any handguns that you think might be a good fit for a girl like me? If possible? :D

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I am the last guy to be considered an expert on here but make sure you try a couple smaller pistols out. I know that statement is beaten to death but specifically in regards to the Ruger LCP, I loved the concept, size and everything until I handled one...the trigger, to me anyway, was not going to cut it. It felt like a 3 inch stroke and heavy. I went with the Kahr line of small pistols. I am very interested in hearing people comment on the LCR though, I've never even shot a revolver and only recently has somebody enlightened me on some of the advantages. I'm considering it.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    Hey everybody. After I return from China in June, I want to purchase (that is, if I don't win the contest on here ;) a small, lightweight handgun to carry on a daily basis. From talking to various people and my own personal research, I have always liked the brand Ruger, specifically the Ruger LCP .380. It's lightweight, incredibly small and it's good-looking, to boot. Being that I am only a 120 pound girl, I am not looking to carry something big that would look bulky on my body frame. Upon doing more research though, it looks like the Ruger LCR (revolver) might be a more reliable gun than the LCP.
    AND...on that note, I will be in Indiana from Feb 19-27th, so maybe that would be a good time to get together with some of you and try shooting any handguns that you think might be a good fit for a girl like me? If possible? :D

Yeah, but you're probably going to be way up north. Pblblblt.

As for a carry handgun, don't make assumptions about which one you might like. You can probably carry more handgun that you think without any trouble. Limiting yourself to the LCP without trying anything else could be an expensive mistake. There are a few reasons I say that, all of which are mentioned in various threads here from time to time. Ammo effectiveness and capacity is one, because it doesn't hold many rounds, and the rounds it does carry are not the most effective in a self defense setting, and are pretty expensive to plink at the range with. Also, being so small, they are not much fun to shoot, so you won't practice with it much, which will save you money and prevent a sore hand, but could cost your life.

Handle as many different handguns as you can, and don't limit yourself to only pocket guns, or only Ruger, or only .380. You may find that you really like a S&W M&P 9 Compact, Taurus 24/7 Pro Compact, or a SIG 9mm, or any number of other models. A lot is what feels good to you, has the ergonomics that fit you, and will do its job in a self-defense situation.

When you're here, try out as many as you can. I'm sure you'll be seeing a certain person who could probably be persuaded to compare guns and give advice.

Mrs. Mk2ja

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2010
    Beijing, China
    I hear revolvers are simpler machines, ergo less likely to malfunction. I am very interested in the replies that this post will receive, as well!

I am the last guy to be considered an expert on here but make sure you try a couple smaller pistols out. I know that statement is beaten to death but specifically in regards to the Ruger LCP, I loved the concept, size and everything until I handled one...the trigger, to me anyway, was not going to cut it. It felt like a 3 inch stroke and heavy. I went with the Kahr line of small pistols. I am very interested in hearing people comment on the LCR though, I've never even shot a revolver and only recently has somebody enlightened me on some of the advantages. I'm considering it.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    I am very interested in hearing people comment on the LCR though, I've never even shot a revolver and only recently has somebody enlightened me on some of the advantages. I'm considering it.

I haven't shot a ton of revolvers, but I've never shot one I liked. I own a S&W 38 Special, but don't know what model. The grip shape is all wrong, and it always wants to flip up in my hand, so I have to re-adjust my grip almost every shot.

That combined with lack of a safety, relative bulkiness, and limited ammo capacity/long reload times pretty much make me disinterested in a revolver.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina

keep in mind, gentlemen, that she'll be with ME during that time back in Indiana, so don't be thinking anything beyond just helping her try some various revolvers or pistols! None of your other "guns" will be tested. :nono: :bat:

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    I hear revolvers are simpler machines, ergo less likely to malfunction. I am very interested in the replies that this post will receive, as well!

Yes mostly. They can have mechanical problems, but for the most part are more reliable. This advantage is somewhat overblown though, I think, because a good semi-auto will still go bang 100% of the time, barring ammo trouble, which can affect both types.

Also, a revolver has no safety. You just pull the trigger and it goes bang. On the other hand, if anything in your pocket, or the holster edge, touches the trigger, it goes bang.

Revolvers are thicker than a comparable semi-auto, due to the cylinder itself. This can make it less comfortable to carry, and more prone to "printing" (making a bulge in your clothes). Semi autos are, or can be, flatter, and carry much more ammo. You need to hold AND shoot several types.

Revolvers also tend to have a sharper felt recoil, because there is no mechanism (slide, recoil spring, etc) absorbing recoil. Revolvers for many are less comfortable to shoot for a given caliber, which can make you less accurate with it, not to mention is far less fun to shoot.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    keep in mind, gentlemen, that she'll be with ME during that time back in Indiana, so don't be thinking anything beyond just helping her try some various revolvers or pistols! None of your other "guns" will be tested. :nono: :bat:
    LOL, thats funny. I would rep you but it said the rep system is broken for this person??? What's that about.:D

Mrs. Mk2ja

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2010
    Beijing, China
    LOL. Oh. My. Gosh. I laughed out loud when I read that. Oy! I highly doubt any guys were (or are) thinking anything along those lines. Most of these guys are probably married :) But I appreciate the sentiment ;) <3

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    For the record, I do have an LCP already that she'll be trying out. When I took it to the range, I had a high rate of failures to eject/feed—30% easy out of 50 rounds. I haven't had a chance to look into it more since then, but I want to try different ammo next. It's also still in the break-in period, so I'm not worried yet, but it isn't ready to be an EDC yet.

I have encouraged her to try many guns before picking an EDC, but since she liked the LCP, it is a good place to start as she learns more about guns and carry issues.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I think an unofficial INGO compact guns shoot is in order! You could bring whatever compact gun you have, conceal holsters, and carry methods to share and try out other stuff. (with the exception being I don't care to try out anybody else's' "smart carry holster")
    I'll start the motion...
    I can contribute a Kahr PM9 (it is my only compact, all others are full size pistols)

Bob45

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Metamora
    A Kahr PM9 is only a little bigger, and a much better caliber than a 380. Not too big for pocket carry and 9mm ammo is a lot cheaper. As mentioned, it has a much bettter trigger and is easier to shoot accurately. You should at least check them out

tskin

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2008
    West Central Indiana
    I agree with the comments about not limiting yourself to these 2 choices. I've never shot the LCP, but did buy the LCR @ the 1500 last year. I thought my wife would love it, but she actually hated it. She shot it 5 times & didn't want anything else to do with it. However, she does love my 9mm & would pick it everytime over the LCR. Try out as many as you can.

gunwh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    If your in the NW part of the state when you come back pm me and id be more than glad to try to help you out. I carry the Kel Tec P3 AT every day. I have the LCP in stock too but I dont care for it as much even though it is the same size. The Kel Tec has more options ar far as carry like the option of the belt clip that can be eassily installed. Now you are correct on the Revolver. The less moving parts you have decreases the error ratio. The revolver will be more reliable but in the area of tactical shooting it is more time consuming to reload. Now on the matter as far as your experiance on carring a gun- If you are farly new to shooting then I would reccomend a revolver to start then buy a simi auto and practise on your truble shooting and reloading till you have it down to a science. Remember the gun you choose is going to be your direct life line in the time of need there for you want to be flawless in the operation of such fire arm. Now granted I do not know you past experiance in this area but I am more than glad to extend to you any help I can offer. If you can please give us some more back ground as far as your experiance like how long you have been shooting and what types of fire arms since this was not covered verry well in your intro when you first joined. Then I and others can be more specific as far as fire arms to look at and try.

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    Plus 1 on what Gunwh said... it would be well worth your time too visit his shop in your quest for a carry firearm, not only is he a excellent instructor but he has a shop with firearms on hand and a indoor firing range for you to try some out. Your carry firearm is directly influenced by your body type, strength, likes and dislikes and the perceived threat... then sometimes we make changes in our carry firearms dependent on weather conditions too.... Another discussion for another time I guess...

A revolver doesn't take as much thought to make it come into play and in most cases can handle more powerful cartridges than the same size auto pistol... The auto pistol doesn't print as well, and carry's more rounds in most cases but there is more too go wrong when using one.... How are you going to carry this gun, where are you gonna carry it, are you gonna practice with it, etc... ???

Best advice is too PM Gunwh when your coming into town and give him a listen... he knows what he speaks about....

Just to back that up... He instructed one of my Gunbunnies models on the use and operation of a rental machinegun at his range and she had no desire to handle or use firearms, she never shot a firearm before, and was very afraid of them when she walked through the door... When we got done with the shooting session you would had thought the video we shot of her handling the firearms and shooting in his range was of a 20 year SWAT Operator with really hot legs than the model I brought to his range... He can be very helpful too you...

MarlinMan68

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Indiana-Michigan State Line
    I have an LCR 357.I love it.For people who have never shot the LCR the fire control mechanism along with the Hogue grip really kills the recoil.357 feels like .38 and .38 feels like a .380.I load my own nickel cased 357 SJHP's with low flash powder and they shoot great.

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    I have an LCR 357.I love it.For people who have never shot the LCR the fire control mechanism along with the Hogue grip really kills the recoil.357 feels like .38 and .38 feels like a .380.I load my own nickel cased 357 SJHP's with low flash powder and they shoot great.

Well said, I have the heavy S&W 649 bodyguard and a Airweight and a Ruger LCR. I sold the 649 and the airweight and now the LCR resides by my side. The felt recoil of this gun is reduced by it's design. Not to mention the Crimson Trace Laser makes target aquisition FAST and more positive. After all if i'm in a fast thinking situation the laser takes the guess work out of trying to aquire the small iron sights. Let's face it, the sights wouldn't even come into play in a fast situation anyway. Plus the activation switch is located on the front of the grip so no fumbling or even having to think about it. Just naturally grip the gun and the laser is on. Master switch is located on the bottom of the grip so you can train without it if desired. Way to go Ruger and crimson trace!

I hear of alot of people that get snubbys and small semi's sell them because they can't target shoot at the range worth a darn. Remember, your self defense firearm is most likely gonna be for close quarters and any threat far enough away can most likely be avoided anyway. But this is another convo all together.

As far as the revolver with no safety, I feel no need for one here. The trigger pull is heavy enough that I feel it's not an issue especially since the gun is in a covered holster at all times. I just pay attention when holstering or unholstering and keep my finger off the bang switch.

9a47ef9d.jpg

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom