• Total voters

Phil502

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    NW Indiana
    they never had to recall the keltec...just sayin

I have the Ruger, I never saw the Keltec so I can't compare.

That recall seems funny to me, the Ruger actually has a hammer, it is just "concealed" I am not sure how dropping it is going to bring the hammer all the way back then release it to discharge, unless the hammer does not need to go all the way back to cause a discharge? Long trigger pull too on it.

PLANEMECH

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Decatur, IN
    Have never owned a P3 yet but have had it's older little brother the P32 for about 6 years never had a jam or problem yet. Rarely ever leave the house with out it. Yeah it may look a little rough on the finish but give me functionablity(if that is a word) anyday. Got a friend that I kind of talked into buying a P3 and now he swears buy it also. :rockwoot:

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    The LCP was featured on "American Guardian" last night on the Outdoor channel. Lots of range footage and talk about the popularity of the new pocket pistols and .380.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I've had both, sold the keltec and kept the ruger. Maybe it's just me, but the trigger in the ruger feels a little smoother. I had several ftf's with keltec, which is unacceptable if your planning on carrying it for defense. I put the keltec belt clip on the ruger, and it fits like a charm. I also installed an armalaser, which has worked out very well. Call me crazy, but I like the absence of a bulky switch on a firearm that I can only wrap 3 fingers around.

sharpetop

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    I own both, [2nd gen P3AT]. No question, the Ruger fit and finish is superior. I'm also not fond of the extractor set up on the Kel-Tec. It looks like an after thought. It also has been know to come loose when firing.

As for reliability, the nod also goes to the LCP. It's been 100%, where as the P3AT has occasional FTE issues.

As for price, they were both less than $300.

Larryjr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Portland, IN
    I have shot both but don't own either. I think Kel-Tec is slightly better for this type of gun though the lcp looks nicer. I am anxious to give the new Taurus tcp a crack!

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    I've had both.

My biggest gripe with the KelTec other than the rough finish on the frame, was that there was no slidelock. Not a huge deal but personally I prefer having a slide lock.

If I were to buy a second pocket gun I think I'd pick up another P3AT because of the price difference.

right2arms

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    I think this issue is being overcomplicated. The two guns are meant to be carry-anywhere, backup sort of guns.

If you cant finish it with 6 (or 6+1) rounds of 380 +P then you need to retreat, or consider a different CCW.

fit, finish, features, are not meant to be important. These are inexpensive, backup, carry when you cant carry anything else- guns.

Now, if you have found it to be unreliable, then that is a different story. I haven't had an issue with mine. Just be aware that a light, tiny gun with a (relatively) powerful round will experience more muzzle flip than a larger gun you can get your whole hand around.

Glocker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I bought a brand new P3AT keltec(new generation extractor) a year ago. It jammed on hollow points right out of the box every round. But I was able to shoot FMJ ammo reliably on the 2 magazines I loaded...the gun now sits in my Safe. I carried it a total of about 5 times last summer because I had no choice and needed the concealment.

Thats my experince with it but I don't know much about the Ruger LCP. I'm still looking for a nice pocket pistol that I can feel comfortable with.

XDs4me

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    NW Indiana
    As stated in a earlier post I have the LCP with CT laser and love it,but I just bought a Diamondback 380 that I waiting for. When it comes in I get to the range I will give a report as to compare it to my LCP. For those that havent heard of the Diamond back it looks like a Baby Glock.

Top Bottom