• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ak4786

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2010
    IN the next room
    Anyone out there owned both or switched to the other for any reason. Im familiar with Ruger products but kel-tec seems have a faithful following so im just wondering if its worth the extra money for the Ruger

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I own a LCP and was looking for Either/Or when I found my ruger, 2 friends of mine at the same time found Keltecs and bought them, Here's what our thoughts are

Lay the keltec and lcp on top of each other and you get no size difference
    from 15 ft away you can't tell them apart
    up close the Ruger has better styling than the Keltec
    Mechanical, I would have to say the LCP (objective) has a slightly better extractor
    Functional all 3 guns have been perfect with ball ammo
    LCP and 1 Keltec feed any HP's you can find (operative word find)
    1 Keltec has feeding problems with American Eagle ammo which feels less powerful (we haven't chrono'd)

Riding in you back pocket they all feel the same and will do the same job

If you consider resale value then the ruger is probably going to hold $20 on the Keltec

Would I sell the Ruger to get a keltec, no
    would one of the guys sell the keltec to get a ruger no
    I think the other guy with the feeding quirk would trade into a ruger for free or very very little money

At one time finding them was the issue
    Now?

to the bad guy who meets these guns he won't care

Its your call, I don't think their is a bit of difference but some people like have a more well know branded gun.

I'd worry about finding 380 ammo then try to pick your gun

WEB

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2010
    Carmel
    Well put X10. I purchased the LCP based on what I felt was better fit and finish. I think both guns will perform equal....just thought LCP had better attention to detail.

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    If you are super tight on funds and the $30 makes a difference to you, buy the keltec. If the small savings isn't going to make or break you, buy the ruger. It's a hair nicer, but I'd carry either one as a reliable BUG.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    With only the cost of a box or two of ammo separating the two brands in price, I would opt for the Ruger any day of the week.

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    If you are super tight on funds and the $30 makes a difference to you, buy the keltec. If the small savings isn't going to make or break you, buy the ruger. It's a hair nicer, but I'd carry either one as a reliable BUG.
    You're either getting the LCP cheap or paying too much for the P3AT at this difference. I see the LCP at just over $300 possibly 300 even if I shop. I see the P3AT at $220 to $240. For me that was a significant enough difference to go with the P3AT, but I do think the LCP has a better finish.

dubsac

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    With only the cost of a box or two of ammo separating the two brands in price, I would opt for the Ruger any day of the week.
    Thats no joke if your even lucky enough to find .380 at a reasonable price. But if you look around you can find LCP's for about 279.00 before tax. I know for a fact you could find them for that at the 1500 at the end of the month.
    As for my opinion I have a LCP w/ CT and love it for a summer time carry. just my :twocents:

Elkrock777

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Can i throw another gun in the mix? I have the tarus 738 and like it alot. It has the hump at the rear of the grip that seems to give me a better grip. I shot my friends ruger and it seemed to snap in my hand more. The tarus is a few bucks cheaper than the ruger but mor expensive than the kel tech. Like x10 said i wouldnt trade mine for either of the others. Also i believe the 738 is USA made also. The tarus also comes with two mags the keltech only one and im not shure about ruger.

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    You're either getting the LCP cheap or paying too much for the P3AT at this difference. I see the LCP at just over $300 possibly 300 even if I shop. I see the P3AT at $220 to $240. For me that was a significant enough difference to go with the P3AT, but I do think the LCP has a better finish.

Ruger LCP .380acp Pistol $279.00

Kel Tec - P-3AT Blue, .380 $253.00

Kel-Tec P-3AT .380 pistol blue $244.00 SHIPS FREE

These are close enough for me. $30-$40 difference.

Locally, they were about a $50 difference a year ago when the LCP was more rare to find on the shelves. Now there are plenty of them and you can find a good deal. If I saw a p3at locally for $220.....i'd buy it on the spot.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART

I haven't seen a LCP over $300 in quite some time.

LCP for $269 Here: Riverview Sales - Quality Firearms and Accessories
    LCP for $279 Here: Ruger pistols
    LCP for $279 Here: Online Gun Deals - Item Details

Walt_Jabsco

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I'm definitely with Elk Rock. The Taurus TCP feels better, has better fit/finish and has a last-round slide lock. To top it all off, it's $20 cheaper than the Ruger.

Just my opinion, but in that price range, I think it's the best pocket gun available.

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    I'm definitely with Elk Rock. The Taurus TCP feels better, has better fit/finish and has a last-round slide lock. To top it all off, it's $20 cheaper than the Ruger.

Just my opinion, but in that price range, I think it's the best pocket gun available.

It's not $20 cheaper.

Find me a TCP for $250 and I'll buy it instantly.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    The Kel-Tec has a serviceable life of approximately 5,000 rounds, with a rebuild mandatory at every 1,500 to 2,000 rounds.

I know of no such limitation on the Ruger, so that's the one I personally chose.

Remember, the Kel-Tec was based around the .32acp and only resprung for the .380acp. As far as I'm aware, the Ruger was designed with the .380 in mind, and though it's a very close copy of the Kel-Tec, its design was much beefed up.

Josh

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Both are good. I have a keltec and love it. I wouldnt get rid of it ever. Just personal prefference, cant go wrong with either.

Whitey

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Connersville
    I have a Ruger LCP and love it. the calaber is a little light but for a summer carry it is great. I saw a KelTech that is carried in a leg holster and it had rusted very badly on the leg side of the gun. This rusty gun is carried every day. I dont believe the LCP will rust this way.

dhw9am

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Kel Tec

My experience with Kel Tec, is you MAY get a very good gun right
    out of the box. You may also have to play with it, or send it back in
    order to get a good one. I like the very light weight of Kel Tec's,
    and their customer service is truely very good.
    Just my thoughts.
    Around here, the Ruger is $299, and the 380 Kel Tec is $269.
    I can't speak personally for Ruger, but the Kel Tec's, are really
    very accurate.

jojoa55

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2010
    Evansville
    I have an LCP and I love it. That said, I think the Keltec is a fine firearm. I would think either of the little guns would do the job and do it well for you. I chose the LCP because of better fit and finish. Everyone has different factors that influence a purchase. If money is an issue, go keltec. If a slightly better fit and finish is important to you, LCP. etc. Either will work just fine though.

ak4786

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2010
    IN the next room
    Thank you all for your replies. think i have decided to get a LCP at the 1500. Would rather buy a quality tool that will last. Especially now that the aftermarket supports them.(CT, holsters etc.)

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    I've owned both and honestly like how my keltec shot better than my lcp. The grip felt more natural to me on the keltec than the lcp. I sold the keltec and purchased an lcp, but didn't really like it so i sold that. The biggest plus for the lcp is the finish. It is WAAAYYY better than the keltec. I had to get my keltec duracoated as it had a tendency to rust. The trigger pull was about the same (4 miles long) and both went bang every time i pulled the trigger. I felt more confident with the lcp being as it is essentially "better".

As i side note, i've shot the kahr 380 and it blows both out of the water.

Top Bottom