• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SubicWarrior1988

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    central
    Just a couple of notes, I've shot both and owned the KelTec (Which I later sold)

If I were to desire another pocket gun and my choices came down to these two guns again, I would go with the LCP without hesitation. There is a big difference in the finer details of the two guns.

The only caveat of the LCP is that it has had a recall for the early models as they were prone to AD if dropped. This is important to consider and address, should you get the LCP, especially a used one. Make sure that Ruger has dealt with this recall.

Here's the big differences,

1) I can't over state the importance of a slide stop, especially should you have to clear Malfs. Some folks are lucky out of the box and everything runs 100%, many folks are not. That is why the "break in" period and the "fluff and buff" are both household terms in the mouse gun vernacular. If there is a FTF or FTE, You will be glad that you have the ability to lock the slide and clear it.

2) The Mag release on the LCP is recessed, IE, there is a far greater chance of tapping the mag release on the KelTec because it sticks out. This will cause Malfs and Jamming, to be fair, I never accidentally kicked the mag out on the KelTec.

3) It may seem small, but I definitely liked the finish on the LCP at least 50 dollars better than the KelTec. There is a smooth surface where the thumb should rest with proper grip on the pistol. The Ruger Emblem is a personal favorite of mine, so that much is just bias. The KelTec has excess plastic hanging off of it where the injection molds come together. Nothing structural, but it just looks..........cheap.

4) The ejector on the LCP is fixed and not prone to be lost during cleaning. The KelTec has a tiny ejector that has the personality of a solo sock in the dryer.....to draw an analogy. Be careful when field stripping.

5) The Ruger is just a prettier gun, period. It doesn't make it better, more functional and it won't make you lose 10 lbs or lower your blood pressure. But the LCP is just finished with higher quality look.

6) The Frankenbolt, 2nd gen extractor on the KelTec has a tendency to come loose. Prepare to use some blue loctite.

They will both serve their purpose, but if I buy another mouse gun, It will definitely be an LCP. That probably won't happen, but that is a different thread.

:twocents:

Notice the slide stop, recessed mag release, Ruger emblem and smooth finish for the thumb on the LCP.

vfe7bt.jpg

Deet

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    NWI
    I have shot both, and I have also shot the .380 Kahr. The Kahr wins by a large margin. Save up for a Kahr you won't regret it. If price is a huge issue then consider a used Radom P64. It shoots the 9x18mm, it is all metal, easy to pocket carry and they can be had for $150. Ammo is cheaper, and they are reliable.

boogieman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    under your bed!!!
    I have owned both the lcp and p3at and did not like either. I just couldnt hit anything with either one. Got rid of both of them after about 50 rounds each. I recently picked up a taurus 738 and like it alot. It shoots much better in my opinion, and comes with 2 mags and a nifty belt pouch. I would take the taurus over the others any day.:twocents:

Armed-N-Ready

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    TCP Taurus 738

I have shot both the LCP and own a P3AT. the Kel-tec is a nice BUG but the TCP shoots better and is easier to control. The take up and reset take a bit to get use to but it is a better gun and has a lifetime warranty.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    The Kel-Tec has a serviceable life of approximately 5,000 rounds, with a rebuild mandatory at every 1,500 to 2,000 rounds.

I know of no such limitation on the Ruger, so that's the one I personally chose.

Remember, the Kel-Tec was based around the .32acp and only resprung for the .380acp. As far as I'm aware, the Ruger was designed with the .380 in mind, and though it's a very close copy of the Kel-Tec, its design was much beefed up.

Josh

The Kel-Tec has a serviceable life of approximately 5,000 rounds, with a rebuild mandatory at every 1,500 to 2,000 rounds.

Josh, you need to back this up with some facts. The Ruger is basically a prettier clone with the addition of the slide lock and has the same limitations as the P3AT with +P ammo. The Kel-Tec has a written lifetime warranty the Ruger does not (but from what I can tell they take care of their customers just like Kel-Tec does).

CandRFan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Kokomo

Josh, you need to back this up with some facts. The Ruger is basically a prettier clone with the addition of the slide lock and has the same limitations as the P3AT with +P ammo. The Kel-Tec has a written lifetime warranty the Ruger does not (but from what I can tell they take care of their customers just like Kel-Tec does).

I posted a question to this comment too. What would a mandatory rebuild consist of? Does the slide or barrel just fall apart or something?

CandRFan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Kokomo
    I have found nothing other than some forum like this one. I don't think it is a fact.

I headed over to the Keltec Owner's Group at ktog.org and did some searching...found several threads about the life expectancy according to Kel-Tec of their pocket guns and folks asking the same questions we have. And as usual...no real solid responses...lots of people stating that their Kel-Tecs are well past the official 6k life expectancy, one post of a guy stating that his PF9 had a cracked slide somewhere north of 3k....

The main gist of all the threads was that Kel-Tec, if needed, replaced pieces parts and made everything good in the end. :yesway:

Top Bottom