• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • trophyhunter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 2, 2008
    South Bend
    I finally had a chance to hold and look over all the different pocket size 380's yesterday, including the Keltec P3AT, Diamond Back DB380, Sig P238, the LCP and the S&W bodyguard.

It's amazing how compact these various manufacturers have gotten these 380's to, I think anyone would be well served to own any of them for a BUG or easy concealment piece.

For me it was absolutely no contest after getting a feel for them, the S&W was my choice for fit, features and function. I ran Cor Bon DPX's and Hornady Critical defense carry ammo through it today along with some blazer brass, it performed flawlessly.

I am impressed with that little auto to say the least, and the Hornady Critical defense ammo is all I ever plan to carry in it year round due to the nature of it's construction. The Hornady ammo grouped amazingly well and the flash retardant they put into that loading works as advertised.

gunfreak6989

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2011
    i would trust an lcp more than a smith because it is such an amazing design. compare grendel, keltec, lcp, and tcp. they are all very similar, on the other hand, the built in laser is a great on the bodygaurd, but for a small simple reliable handgun, the bodygaurd has too many safties and controls i would just go with the point and shoot lcp

tmkr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    LP1 for president!My son has a Bodyguard,Ithink it feels much better in the hand than the Ruger,also the laser sight on the BG looks like it grew there rather than hung on as an afterthought as sone of them do.

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I bought a TCP for $225 last week brand new from a dealer here in Ft Wayne. Im happy with it and it comes more features than the LCP including slide lock back and two mags.

Eventually Im gonna get a CT laser for it sometime.

mmartinsbin

Plinker
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Oct 26, 2010
    Granger, IN
    Have the LCP w/laser and wish I would have picked up the body guard. The "legal" trigger pull on the LCP is nuts, if you didn't have the laser you might forget what you were doing before the gun fired.

Last edited:

GBuck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Franklin
    I agree with those praising the Taurus TCP. I have one and I love it! I found the laser on the BG extremely difficult to turn on and off, especially one handed. I agree with others that the laser would not be as effective in a real SHTF situation, and I would never use it. If it was a pressure sensitive switch like the CTCs I MAY use it, but it would just depend. These type of guns are not meant for popping someone at 20 yards, they are made for close, life or death situations. TCP for me!

mmorph55

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Lafayette
    I have the LCP and have shot the Bodyguard. I would say the Bodyguard doesnt "jar" the hand quite as bad as the LCP. I also prefer the sights on the Bodyguard. So if i had to decide between the two I would pick the Bodyguard. That being said either can touch the P238.....it just fun to shoot.

Crashn2me1961

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2011
    I'm new here and have only shot the Bodyguard. When I first got it, I hated it. Once I got used to the trigger pull (does anyone know a quick fix for a shorter trigger pull?) I am learning to love it. The groupings are tighter and I practice at 7 yards. Quick note. In the daylight, I do not use the laser.

Swim404

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    ATL
    I have a Bodyguard too and the new ones definitely have easier laser buttons. I am a SN EARXXXX and can easily turn it off and on with one finger. As for the trigger pull, I don't know...but if you call S&W they were super helpful and could answer that.

PlasticPistol17

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    BG380 - A few bucks more, but far easier on the hand, actual sights, and an aspect I prefer - unlike the LCP or SIG P238, when its got a round chanbered the hammer is not under tension. Although the long trigger on the LCP and the BG takes getting used to.

RangeJunkie

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    Geist
    The LCP is a great pocket pistol, but not a fun range gun. To long of a trigger pull along with hardly visible sights make it difficult for longer shots

TotinOne

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 20, 2011
    Hancock Co.
    I have a BG.
    I dont count on using the laser in the daylight. Although the gun has sights (unlike the LCP), the sights are all-steel with no distinguishing color, dots, or anything to help you quickly sight down the slide to get your vertical trajectory in line. Aftermarket sights are ONE answer to that problem (see previous posts in this thread). I chose another (cheaper) route and just went to a craft store, bought bright white enamel paint and a micro-tip applicator, and painted the front and rear. The factory grooves in the sights held the paint really well and helped in keeping the job looking professional (no curves due to unsteady hands). It made a huge difference in getting on target faster.

As far as the laser goes, it's there, but doesn't instantly come on like I would like it to... no pressure switch, etc. You have to consciously reach for the button, find it and push it. Again, not something that you need to concentrate on in a heated situation when fractions of seconds count. That would be my first suggestion for improvement should S&W come calling looking for my opinion... pressure switch in the grip.

Performance has been consistent... has gone bang every pull. But when trying to fire off multiple rounds quickly, the long & somewhat stiff trigger pull makes it difficult to keep them grouped. Good groups at about 20 feet for a pistol of that size when taking a little more time.

Just my :twocents: on the BG

padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A
    Ok Guys- I'm seriously considering a BG for ERC, glove box duty, etc...

SW lists the DAO trigger at 6lbs, my Sig 230 is 10DA/4.5SA lbs. Plus the BG is an internal hammer for follow-ups. Add on a $80 set of nite sites for a total of less than $400- not a bad deal.

Is the trigger smooth up to release- out of the box or does it need break in time/usage?

Sorry for being long winded...

greyhound47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Is the trigger smooth up to release- out of the box or does it need break in time/usage?

Sorry for being long winded...
    No worries. Yes, I thought the BG trigger was very good out of the box. You will never mistake it for a 1911 Gold Cup tu it is very good for what it is. Far superior to my P3AT. I am right behind you on the night sites.:rockwoot:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom